You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

why would somebody do this 1st hand of a 5.50 SnG Tourney??? i dont understand......

DozzaDozza Member Posts: 286
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DDTKOd Small blind   15.00 15.00 2985.00
MenAceMan Big blind   30.00 45.00 2970.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

baker09 Fold        
BUDDYHOLLY Call   30.00 75.00 2970.00
Dozza Raise   150.00 225.00 2850.00
COOL0JULES All-in   3000.00 3225.00 0.00
DDTKOd Fold        
MenAceMan Fold        
BUDDYHOLLY Fold        
Dozza All-in   2850.00 6075.00 0.00
Dozza Show
  • K
  • K

COOL0JULES Show

Flop

• Q
  • A

Turn

River

• Q

COOL0JULES Win Full House, 2s and Queens 6075.00   6075.00

Comments

• Options
    DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2010
    they want to win it preflop and don't mind gambling
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited January 2010
    In Response to why would somebody do this 1st hand of a 5.50 SnG Tourney??? i dont understand......:
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance DDTKOd Small blind   15.00 15.00 2985.00 MenAceMan Big blind   30.00 45.00 2970.00   Your hole cards K K       baker09 Fold         BUDDYHOLLY Call   30.00 75.00 2970.00 Dozza Raise   150.00 225.00 2850.00 COOL0JULES All-in   3000.00 3225.00 0.00 DDTKOd Fold         MenAceMan Fold         BUDDYHOLLY Fold         Dozza All-in   2850.00 6075.00 0.00 Dozza Show K K       COOL0JULES Show 2 2       Flop     Q A 4       Turn     2       River     Q       COOL0JULES Win Full House, 2s and Queens 6075.00   6075.00
    Posted by Dozza
    I've just played a Primo Sat and someone went allin PF at least 10 times in the first 20 minutes. He got called 3 or 4 times, was behind in every one of them and won all except one. After 30 minutes or so he was third in the tourny. I guess that's why they do it, hoping to get lucky and double up. After 1 extremely lucky escape on the river I commented ini the chatbox that he was riding his luck and he said he woud rather be lucky than good. That's what you get at low stakes, BINGO.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i thought 5.50 was mid-stakes though so would expect less bingo play. I can confirm that the bingo player in this particular tourney went on to scoop the £22.50 jackpot. Did the player in your tourney end up satelliting through? Lol, he will need more than luck to cash in primo!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: why would somebody do this 1st hand of a 5.50 SnG Tourney??? i dont understand......:
    i thought 5.50 was mid-stakes though so would expect less bingo play. I can confirm that the bingo player in this particular tourney went on to scoop the £22.50 jackpot. Did the player in your tourney end up satelliting through? Lol, he will need more than luck to cash in primo!
    Posted by Dozza
    I'm relieved to say he ran out of luck and didnt get through!!!
  • Options
    donkeyplopdonkeyplop Member Posts: 3,795
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: why would somebody do this 1st hand of a 5.50 SnG Tourney??? i dont understand......:
    In Response to why would somebody do this 1st hand of a 5.50 SnG Tourney??? i dont understand...... : I've just played a Primo Sat and someone went allin PF at least 10 times in the first 20 minutes. He got called 3 or 4 times, was behind in every one of them and won all except one. After 30 minutes or so he was third in the tourny. I guess that's why they do it, hoping to get lucky and double up. After 1 extremely lucky escape on the river I commented ini the chatbox that he was riding his luck and he said he woud rather be lucky than good. That's what you get at low stakes, BINGO.
    Posted by Seagull158
    agreed totally with you on this! over the last couple of days ive been knocked out of loads of double your money games late in the game when i had better hands. I think some people just like to gamble than play the odds!!
  • Options
    DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited January 2010
    no point going over it just get in next game and play your top game,there is no point trying to make sense of loose calls because there will be a big percentage of players just gambling..your results will be better than the gamblers in the long run....good luck
  • Options
    MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
    edited January 2010
    i have no complaints about any of the donkey plays and neither should most poker players.... yes it hurts when that miricle 2 hits but i bet u was well happy when the cards were turned over
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    edited January 2010

If it makes the op feel any better, I've also seen this happen more than once on the 1st hand of £55 dym.

And I'm sure top pros have seen it on £5k stt's.

Chancers are everywhere, the stakes are irrelevent.
  • Options
    Spartan3Spartan3 Member Posts: 86
    edited January 2010

does anyone know the odds for this pre-flop, someone told me its only about 70-30?  if true im surprised the odds are so close.

• Options
    CrwCrw Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2010
    no point going over it just get in next game and play your top game,there is no point trying to make sense of loose calls because there will be a big percentage of players just gambling..your results will be better than the gamblers in the long run....good luck
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    I completely aggre with DAVEYZZ. I couldnt have written it better myself, then again im rubbish at writing. If you want to Play, enjoy and love poker you got to accept everything about it even the loose calling gambling *BEEP* *BEEPS*. I love them really coz they pay me off more than i lose i say :).
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    does anyone know the odds for this pre-flop, someone told me its only about 70-30?  if true im surprised the odds are so close.
    Posted by Spartan3
    higher pair vs lower pair is about 82% fave when they are close and the high pair interferes with straight possibilities for the low pair. In this case its probably around 78 to 80%.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Posted by Spartan3
    It's 80-20.

Type in poker odds calculator into google and you can find out many heads up hands and their odds.
  • Options
    darichdarich Member Posts: 969
    edited January 2010
    You offer me the chance to get my chips in as an 80/20 favourite in the first hand of any tournament, then I snap your hand off. He got lucky, but in the long run, he'll go bust and you'll be the one laughing. I never used to think like that either, but it makes the game a whole lot less stressful when you do!
  • Options
    Spartan3Spartan3 Member Posts: 86
    edited January 2010

Great, thanks JingleMa

• Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited January 2010
    I've seen it up to £55 DYM's.  Would this have been posted if the 2 hadn't have come though?  Very unlucky but u got big action with a large pocket pair.......... more often than not they only help u win a small pot at that stage of a game.
  • Options
    JONONZIEJONONZIE Member Posts: 367
    edited January 2010
    At the risk of getting shouted down

why did you call? after all its the first hand which was worth 30 chips why take the risk of loosing? you have no player information he may have AA or connecting cards even A rags and he is around 28%  and its a gamble whilst poker is gambling you have to weigh up the risks as its the first hand just let it go, its amazing how many people go all in first hand, the people who do  usually do not last long. be interesting to see his poker results on sharkscope can you check ? and let us know this will usualy tell you what type of player he is,  later on in the game its an instant call
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Great, thanks JingleMa
    Posted by Spartan3
    No worries, glad to be of help.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    At the risk of getting shouted down    why did you call? after all its the first hand which was worth 30 chips why take the risk of loosing? you have no player information he may have AA or connecting cards even A rags and he is around 28%  and its a gamble whilst poker is gambling you have to weigh up the risks as its the first hand just let it go, its amazing how many people go all in first hand, the people who do  usually do not last long. be interesting to see his poker results on sharkscope can you check ? and let us know this will usualy tell you what type of player he is,  later on in the game its an instant call
    Posted by JONONZIE
    Difficult not to call with AA or KK. Anything else I'd probably be folding. But you know that lots of peope go alin in the first few hands with Ax, Kx or even less in the hope that they'll win a race and get a fast start.
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited January 2010
    At the risk of getting shouted down    why did you call? after all its the first hand which was worth 30 chips why take the risk of loosing? you have no player information he may have AA or connecting cards even A rags and he is around 28%  and its a gamble whilst poker is gambling you have to weigh up the risks as its the first hand just let it go, its amazing how many people go all in first hand, the people who do  usually do not last long. be interesting to see his poker results on sharkscope can you check ? and let us know this will usualy tell you what type of player he is,  later on in the game its an instant call
    Posted by JONONZIE
    A fold is fair enough in a DYM, had to call in this instance tough.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    this was a scary game where the blinds go up every 3 mins so its nearly impossible, if not completely wrong, to pass kings in this tournament format.