You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

HU NL10 - does my bluff make any sense / is this just spew?

shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
edited November 2014 in Strategy

As good as it is to start new NL10 tables and end up avoiding most of the regs, the downside is that you can end up playing HU against a fairly aggro / seemingly competent player for 10-15 mins.

Hadn't played huge volume, his default seemed to be to bet a decent size of the pot every time I showed any weakness. The only time I'd bet all 3 streets previously was when I hit a hand and it didn't go to showdown.  I think we were about 50/50 on the hands I'd gone into c/c mode with and got to showdown.

Flop was a standard c-bet (although appreciate this sort of middling flop will always see me behind / getting called by draws and low pairs)

Turn I thought a) would hit my range and b) gave me the equity of a gutshot 10 which c) would be both disguised and also likely hit the sort of range that would call a 579 flop (T8/T9/T7/JT) and therefore may mean I get paid if I hit my hand

River.... I'd normally give this up, but that's because I'm normally playing full-ring and most of my oppos are passive stationy types who will definitely call me down here with pocket 2s. 

But in the time we'd been playing I knew I'd face a bet if I checked I'd face a bet, regardless of whether oppo was ahead or not - and I'm 100% not good enough to hero with Q-high!  Further, all flush draws missed and not many straight draws got there...

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxxSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £10.20
shakinaces Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £10.15
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • J

xxxRaise  £0.25 £0.40 £9.95
shakinaces Raise  £0.80 £1.20 £9.35
xxxCall  £0.60 £1.80 £9.35
Flop

shakinaces Bet  £1.00 £2.80 £8.35
xxxCall  £1.00 £3.80 £8.35
Turn

• K

shakinaces Bet  £1.90 £5.70 £6.45
xxxCall  £1.90 £7.60 £6.45
River

shakinaces All-in  £6.45 £14.05 £0.00

Comments

• Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,805
    edited October 2014
    I think its a good line thats going to work a lot. 
  • Options
    YouOweMe_YouOweMe_ Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2014
    If he has anything that's going to fold on that board (only really missed FDs/JT as the river is a brick) he'll fold for less money than this, if you're gonna bluff it doesn't need to be as big on this board, half that size does pretty much the exact same result whatever he has, you're just giving him a big chunk of money every time he's ahead.
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,805
    edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: HU NL10 - does my bluff make any sense / is this just spew?:
    If he has anything that's going to fold on that board (only really missed FDs/JT as the river is a brick) he'll fold for less money than this, if you're gonna bluff it doesn't need to be as big on this board, half that size does pretty much the exact same result whatever he has, you're just giving him a big chunk of money every time he's ahead.
    Posted by YouOweMe_
    I sort of agree. Any draw and A highs and weak pair hands will obviously fold but if they have a 7 or a 9 or mid PP then he has to really sell the idea he has a better hand by going all in. Any half pot bet is getting looked up by a lot. Eg 78/89 etc. 
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited November 2014
    Given size of pot I think shipping is fine - don't see an awful lot of point in a smaller bet and tempting villain to call with a bluff catcher.

As for the rest of the hand - flop bet is so-so. Probably OK I would go slightly bigger though. Turn is standard. Pre-flop not so much. Definitely a clear flat with this hand that can flop good top pairs and happily bluff catch. Don't want to be turning it into a bluff and it's not strong enough to 3-bet for value either.