You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Satelliting - Oddswise

MajjMajj Member Posts: 99
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Obviously this is going to depend wuite a lot on your ability, and your own measure of your ability, but what's the best strategy for choosing whether to try satelliting into a tournament or not.

For instance, let's say I want to play in a tournament and I have the roll to do so, plus I have the time to satellite if I wish. Say satelliting costs 5 times less and so 1 in 5 go through. I've often been having one go at the satellite and then failing that, buying in, but that seems like a bad scheme. Is it best just to buy straight in rather than this? Or to keep trying to satellite up to 5 times? (Obviously then you may pay the full buy in but not be entered)

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    If you enjoy playing poker, and have the time, playing satellites is the best approach, in my opinion.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

Once played 15 sattellites at a 5r, (over a 3/4 week period) and still failed to qualify. - The buy in was 50. (dollars)

My best strategy now is dont bother, just buy in - But like u sed, its so dependent on what u have to play with. Im not motivated in sats if I know I have the money to get in direct, this problli influences my play.

DOHH
  • Options
    NeildownNeildown Member Posts: 1,635
    edited January 2010
    I'l' only enter a sat if there is a lot of people in it , ie top 10 go through

Anything below that i find is very hard work and if you make it to the tournament your already tired and not on best of form imo
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited January 2010
    i tend to play in the last sat of the night as it is normally the fullest thus giving more seats into your desired tourny. I've done the sat's to the primo (actually i did the semi sat - then the semi into the primo for this one £1.10 for a £33 tourny... Bargin !!!)and last nights open this week and qualified at the first time of asking but if i was playing earlier sats and failed i would still probably try the last one of the night. A while ago we asked for sat's into the next nights open to be held the evening before as well. Think that would work well I.E 9pm sat's into the next nights open.
  • Options
    HartshorNHartshorN Member Posts: 616
    edited January 2010
    I usually play satellites if i want entry into a big tournament, im stict with myself and i'll never played more than 2.

Satelitted into a fair few tournies now, including the 4k yesterday and the bounty hunter monday. Can be a good profit if you manage to cash, but like i said, i only play 2 then give up and wait for the next one.
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited January 2010
    For me, it's satellite every time. But, as DOHHHHHHH says, never pay more in sat fees than the main tournament is worth.

Personally, for 1 in 5 sats, I would try a maximum of three times to get in. If I don't make it, I don't play the main.

Satellites are the best though. Won the Open from a sat, 2nd in Velocity from a sat and 32nd in last Sunday's Primo from a £1 sat.

• Options
    pod1pod1 Member Posts: 4,377
    edited January 2010
    satellited on monday for the primo, got in first time for a fiver, thank god i went out 2nd hand to a very bad beat (thats another story) peed off, but not as miffed had i payed £30 to enter. makes not cashing more bearable in other words. 
  • Options
    HartshorNHartshorN Member Posts: 616
    edited January 2010
    Just also won entry in to 4k Double Stack & as i type this to the 1.5 bounty hunter,

Then all it takes is a cash and you've made a good investment :)
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2010
    i always try to sattelite first of all but i have no more than 2 attempts.dav