You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What are the rules here?

POTTSY82POTTSY82 Member Posts: 220
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Just been watching Poker After Dark.  Annette Overstad, put in a big raise  on the button with KJo after this guy nicknamed the magician 44 and Hellmuth limped in 10c 9c.  The magician re-raised and Hellmuth after a little thought said he'd have to fold.  Phil Laak who was out of the hand asked to see what he was folding, Hellmuth showed him his cards before mucking them and the flop was dealt. 
I always thought if one player seen a card the whole table had too? Or  is it just bad etiquette, or just no problem. The other players didnt seem to care, but it got me thinking.
BTW Overstad folded and after the hand Hellmuth said he had Jacks with Laak backing him up

Comments

• Options
    lJAMESllJAMESl Member Posts: 591
    edited January 2010
    Pretty good spot this Pottsy, I have no idea what the rules are here? maybe Tikay can help. I know they are all friendly and probably treat this as a home game almost, but then again serious money is involved.
    I know obviously they can't show one show all because there was a hand in play and before they saw a flop Helmuths cards were already in the muck.
    I think this was probably a joke between the guys though to be honest mate. I know hes a nit but I can't see Helmuth limping in Jacks in a 6max sturcture like this and he figures the other guys know he wouldn't too.
  • Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited January 2010
    Good post indeed and this is what I understand.

First of all, different places have different rules and you should check with the cardroom manager if you want to know their take on it. Personally I would like to see a standard set of rules around the country/world to get all places into line. But anyway, minor digression.

The main question is whether you're playing in a tournament or a cash game. In tournaments if you show one you show all. This is not to be confused with when you show one card that you then have to show both of them. That's a different question entirely. Show one, show all refers to players at the table. If you show one player, the rest of the table is entitled to see the cards too. Cards should definitely NOT be exposed in the middle of the hand, accidentally or otherwise. Doing so normally gets you a stern ticking off or penalty of sitting out x number of hands.

Cash games are more subjective. You'll see players showing each other their folds or flashing a card by mucking high because they are generally trying to set something up. Personally, I am okay with this in cash games, but with the following criteria:

Showing while a hand is still in play is really poor etiquette in my opinion and it doesn't matter if you're Phil Hellmuth, me or my nan. You shouldn't do it, period. It gives players around the table the chance to see something in the middle of a hand which they frankly ought to have NO chance of. You show me you folded AQ preflop and that flop comes AAx it makes it so much less likely that one of the players still in the hand are holding an ace. Why should you know that in the middle of the hand and the rest of the table doesn't? Seems odd to me, but this is a personal opinion thing.

Advertising, setting plays up and so on are all fine. Doing it in the right place is more important though and anything that messes with the integrity of the game is just not cool in my books.
  • Options
    POTTSY82POTTSY82 Member Posts: 220
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: What are the rules here?:
    Good post indeed and this is what I understand. First of all, different places have different rules and you should check with the cardroom manager if you want to know their take on it. Personally I would like to see a standard set of rules around the country/world to get all places into line. But anyway, minor digression. The main question is whether you're playing in a tournament or a cash game. In tournaments if you show one you show all. This is not to be confused with when you show one card that you then have to show both of them. That's a different question entirely. Show one, show all refers to players at the table. If you show one player, the rest of the table is entitled to see the cards too. Cards should definitely NOT be exposed in the middle of the hand, accidentally or otherwise. Doing so normally gets you a stern ticking off or penalty of sitting out x number of hands. Cash games are more subjective. You'll see players showing each other their folds or flashing a card by mucking high because they are generally trying to set something up. Personally, I am okay with this in cash games, but with the following criteria: Showing while a hand is still in play is really poor etiquette in my opinion and it doesn't matter if you're Phil Hellmuth, me or my nan. You shouldn't do it, period. It gives players around the table the chance to see something in the middle of a hand which they frankly ought to have NO chance of. You show me you folded AQ preflop and that flop comes AAx it makes it so much less likely that one of the players still in the hand are holding an ace. Why should you know that in the middle of the hand and the rest of the table doesn't? Seems odd to me, but this is a personal opinion thing. Advertising, setting plays up and so on are all fine. Doing it in the right place is more important though and anything that messes with the integrity of the game is just not cool in my books.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    I've heard a few people mention this on TV/Magazines etc..  Obviously its a good idea so why hasnt it been done? Is there a world governing body in poker? (like Fifa)