You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Looking for advice on draws please.

Chris_McChris_Mc Member Posts: 1,339
edited February 2015 in Strategy
I have a diary on poker chat, re-named to pain in the cash,

looking to try this format and stick to cash and mainly cash, over 3 sites, so looking for advice on this,

starting at the lower levels and try to build and stick to a plan.

the main advice is how to approach flopped straight draws and mainly flush draws, when should I let them go and when should I get it in, my last 2 small session have been in profit but I still think there Is many leaks that need fixed.

and advice will be much appreciated and hope can discipline myself to take note and stick to the plan.

thanks.

there is hands posted on my diary of these sorts of hands, if you could have a look.

gl

Comments

• LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    edited February 2015
    Mix it up with draws, sometimes you want to be raising, other times you want to call.

Things to consider is, how strong do you think your opponent is, eg bet sizing tells.

Are you getting the right odds?

How strong is the draw/ nut flush, or lower flush?

• TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited February 2015
    draws are great. they do better than their equity share and play better than a lot of hands that have more equity.

quick example:

flop: AcJc4d

for the sake of simplicity we face a villain who raises the following range and cbets 100% on this board:

A2+, K7+, 22+, 5x6x+, 7x9x+, Jx8x+, 7x8y+, Jy9x+

when we have K8o we have 48% equity against villains cbetting range

when we have  5c6c we have only 38% equity

however we will be able to realise our equity more effciently with the flush draw, and it will capture more than its share of the pot. that is on average we will cpature more than 38% of the pot, the reverse will be true of K8o.

so we really shouldnt be folding often on flops. even if villain bets big, because draws do better than their equity share and capture more of the pot, we can call most bets. when they hit they hit the nuts, or near to it. and it's really f-king good to have the nuts in a big pot. with K high much of its value is weak showdown value and it can improve only to a bluff catcher. its hard to realise equity share also.

because of their pot equity, draws bluff well. they make our bluffs cheaper and so they dont have to work as often and as we can make a very strong hand our bluffs will be more profitable. [our ev of betting is comprised of fold equity and pot equity, so when we have a draw we dont need as much fold equity to make a bet profitable]

obviously we dont want to always bluff with draws [as thinking players will know that you dont have a flush when you call and a third club hits], but having a good semi-bluff range when you have fold equity can be good.  but you do want to do it when you think you have fold equity. in the example above, you may not want to check-raise AJx boards as you dont rep the ace well and villain can put you in a spot with his value where you are putting all the money in with 32% equity.

also if you have some showdown value to go with your draw then it can be good to simply call with draws. esp if you think villain is passive and will allow you to get to showdown for one or two bets max.

note that draws with overcards / pairs often have tremendous equity against top pair holdings. you can call or semi-bluff with these holdings depending on stack-size, format, villain tendencies etc. often they will be a slight favorite in the pot v most one-pair holdings.
  • BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited February 2015
    In Response to Looking for advice on draws please.:
    I have a diary on poker chat, re-named to pain in the cash, looking to try this format and stick to cash and mainly cash, over 3 sites, so looking for advice on this, starting at the lower levels and try to build and stick to a plan. the main advice is how to approach flopped straight draws and mainly flush draws, when should I let them go and when should I get it in, my last 2 small session have been in profit but I still think there Is many leaks that need fixed. and advice will be much appreciated and hope can discipline myself to take note and stick to the plan. thanks. there is hands posted on my diary of these sorts of hands, if you could have a look. gl
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    At the lower levels, I find that many players can never let go of top pair, top pair/top kicker certainly and most definitely an overpair. Raising or shoving as a semi-bluff will therefore not work against these guys, in fact by doing so you're playing to their only strength (their unwillingness to be bluffed off hands).
    On most occasions therefore, try to keep the pot small and draw to your hand. If you hit, then don't be embarrassed to shove the lot in on the river. As I said, too many players just can't let go of their TPTK hands and will pay you off.

• CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,804
    edited February 2015
    I agree with above if your playing 4nl. Never worry about thinking your hand is face up as a lot of the time no-one cares, they only care what they have.

All I can say is try to play as many hands in position and dont be afraid to let your hand go if your OOP or on a paired board or have a weak draw facing a lot of action. 

Just try to concentrate on playing pots where you are the aggressor and cut down on bluffs.