You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Would u call???

ACAACA Member Posts: 215
edited July 2009 in Poker Chat
Hi all

Not sure who's up at this hr but wud like ur comments pls

I was playing in a £100 gtn with over 50 runners so 8 places, I was chip leader with 35 runners left, had 4500, 2nd had 3000, and 3rd had 2500, I was dealt AK suited in small blind of 25, big blind of 50 had 1000 chips, it was folded to button who went allin for 2500 (3rd in tourney) to win 75 chips, normally I wud laugh at this play but for some unknown reason I called, did I make the correct decision

I wud love to hear comments if anyone's interested, I face this big allin to win air and always wonder what would happen if I call

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,859
    edited July 2009

Nah, I let it go, but many - most - would Call in your spot.

You are Evens aganst any Underpair, & 60/40 against two live Cards.

I prefer to keep my powder dry, & bully with A-K later in the Tourney - I can get 75%/25% against an Underpair later in the Tourney by playing it strongly, & pushing them off half the time. That's a better price, by far.

Early Double-Ups do not have much Value. It's late 2 x throughs you want.
  • ACAACA Member Posts: 215
    edited July 2009
    Cheers TK

I totally agree with you, It's the 1st time I've ever called in this spot the main reason being I cant undestand y anyone wud go allin for 2500 to win 75, if they had a top pair surely a 3 or 4 x bb raise wud be the correct play, what is the logic in pushing
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,859
    edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Would u call???:
    Cheers TK I totally agree with you, It's the 1st time I've ever called in this spot the main reason being I cant undestand y anyone wud go allin for 2500 to win 75, if they had a top pair surely a 3 or 4 x bb raise wud be the correct play, what is the logic in pushing
    Posted by ACA
    No idea!

It's hard to fathom what gets in folks minds sometimes.

I've been playing this game a very long time, & even now, I simply can't understand why some players do certain things.

Good Luck with your game, you sound like a guy who enjoys his poker.
  • dowzerdowzer Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2009
    What did the other guy have when the cards went on their backs?

The only thing I can think of is he was telling you he was not going to lay it down no matter what you did so saved the potential of you calling with a marginal hand and then getting outdrawn - for example if he has kings and you had ace rag or a suited connector a lot will call as its relatively cheap and then hope to hit the flop. I know if they are going to hit the flop they will hit the flop whether they call 4x or an all in but its psychological.

By moving all in they are removing their decision and any chance of being outplayed on the flop and moving the dilemma onto you. In most cases the only hands which can call them are AA, KK, QQ and AK so the odds are massively in their favour that they will get through - yes its a big risk for 75 chips but if they make it a small raise and you call with, say, J10 and the flops comes J 10 rag they are going to lose all their chips and will be wishing they had moved all in preflop and took down the 75 rather than losing their stack.
  • acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited July 2009
    Hi ACA

I have to admit, if I get a big pair, I always bet big no matter what stage of a tourny I am, I would rather win a few small pots than lose a big one, but if I get a call, then so be it, its their chips on the line.

As to calling with AK, I would never call with big slick suited or not, at the end of the day it is only A high and any pair are beating you, I admit I have mis-clicked and called and have been lucky.

I think, as tikay says I always want to get my chips in first, so that the other players have to make that hard decision as to weather they put there tourny/chips on the line

Hope this helps
  • bobcat52bobcat52 Member Posts: 568
    edited July 2009
    Nah mate, not that early in the tourney. The risk/reward ratio isn't really justified. save it for later on when the blinds are worth it
  • ACAACA Member Posts: 215
    edited July 2009
    Hi dowser

As u have said the only hands that can call are AA,KK,QQ and AK, suited (lol), the main prob I've got with the play is that if he does get a call he's on a coin toss at best, unless he has AA, which I ruled out, so he wins 75 chips with a 2500 shuv or he's got a sweat for his tourney.

I also think the play is slightly more acceptable if it's a BH when u may get a weaker hand calling to win the bounty but overall the play is poor and I know I shouldn't have called.

When the cards went over he had QQ, at this point I still fancied my hand but alas, I was a fool for rewarding his donkey play.

I know TK advicates a fold but I had a good feeling I could take the pot and wud have went massive chip leader with only a small field left.

Would u have made the call dowser
  • dowzerdowzer Member Posts: 218
    edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Would u call???:
    Hi dowser As u have said the only hands that can call are AA,KK,QQ and AK, suited (lol), the main prob I've got with the play is that if he does get a call he's on a coin toss at best, unless he has AA, which I ruled out, so he wins 75 chips with a 2500 shuv or he's got a sweat for his tourney. I also think the play is slightly more acceptable if it's a BH when u may get a weaker hand calling to win the bounty but overall the play is poor and I know I shouldn't have called. When the cards went over he had QQ, at this point I still fancied my hand but alas, I was a fool for rewarding his donkey play. I know TK advicates a fold but I had a good feeling I could take the pot and wud have went massive chip leader with only a small field left. Would u have made the call dowser
    Posted by ACA
    Would I? Probably yes

Should I? Probably not!!

A lot also depends on the guys table image and his range of hands - if he is a tight player then I muck them this early on as Im going to be 50/50 at best but if he is loose and is raising with a large range of hands then I might call as he is likely to be at it with Ace rag.

Also you still had 2000 behind with blinds of only 50/100 so you still had a lot of play left so thats another reason why the call is maybe not such a bad move in this instance.