You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Was my flop bet too strong

dezmasdezmas Member Posts: 9
edited March 2015 in Strategy

After a pre flop re raise with kings and hitting a set I wanted to charge flush draws a high price but could have scared of totally dominated hands, do you think I overbet the flop?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SBSmall blind £0.02£0.02£4.87
BBBig blind £0.04£0.06£3.66
 Your hole
cards
  • K
  • K

player 1Raise £0.08£0.14£3.22
dezmasRaise £0.16£0.30£3.83
p2Fold    
buttonFold    
sbCall £0.14£0.44£4.73
bbCall £0.12£0.56£3.54
player1Call £0.08£0.64£3.14
Flop

• K
  • A

sbCheck    
bbBet £0.04£0.68£3.50
player 1Fold    
dezmasRaise £0.76£1.44£3.07
sbFold    
bbFold    
dezmasMuck    
dezmasWin £0.66 £3.73
dezmasReturn £0.72£0.06£4.45

Comments

• Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited March 2015
    Re-raise bigger pre.

As played fine tbh
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited March 2015
    If you have history or reads that the villain will call that much with an A or flush draw then fill your boots, otherwise make it a little smaller I think; anywhere between 30 and 50p seems reasonable.

Certainly raise more pre flop.
  • F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited March 2015
    yeh there was definitely no need to go that big on the flop.

A flush draw is only going to hit the turn 20% of the time. A half pot flop bet means the opponent needs 25% equity to call correctly (if one villain calls, then other player only needs 20% equity) - so even a half pot flop bet does OK in charging draws. 

However, villains do not just have draws on the flop. They will have Ax hands too (maybe some Kx although we block a lot of kings!) and we are absolutely crushing these hands - it doesn't matter what odds we give them, they won't be getting the correct price.

Without knowing stack sizes behind, it's hard to say what the best bet-size on the flop would be (with a lot behind we want to be betting more, but with less behind we can afford to bet less because we can easily get the money in by the river) however I would generally say that somewhere between 65% and 80% of pot is a decent bet-size here. This is because villains will only call with Ax (or better), maybe Kx and flush draws. And most villains at these stakes are unlikely to fold these hands to 1 bet (whether we go half pot or closer to 80% pot, so we may as well make it bigger) - it's only when we start going above 80% that villains may start to fold weak Ax and flush draws. 

All this being said, it's better you did what you did and try and get value with your hand rather than slow-playing for no reason. So you played it OK, just maybe could have played it slightly differently to try and get paid a bit more! As others have pointed out tho, we should be going bigger pre-flop. 
  • mrleemr1mrleemr1 Member Posts: 143
    edited March 2015
    I can't see the stack sizes which would help..

Pre your 3-bet should be 24p here.

On the flop, we are multi-way with middle set with draws. When there is a min donk bet it's best to just treat this as a check in 3-bets pot, do not let it hinder your decision. I would bet 70-80% of the pot.

Potting it is too much, if we were 200bbs deep you could make arguemt 90% but not more without good reads x
  • dezmasdezmas Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Was my flop bet too strong:
    I can't see the stack sizes which would help.. Pre your 3-bet should be 24p here. On the flop, we are multi-way with middle set with draws. When there is a min donk bet it's best to just treat this as a check in 3-bets pot, do not let it hinder your decision. I would bet 70-80% of the pot. Potting it is too much, if we were 200bbs deep you could make arguemt 90% but not more without good reads x
    Posted by mrleemr1
    Sorry about the stack sizes, cant seem to change the size of the table, all stack sizes where between 3 and 5 pounds

Thanks to everyone for their advice
  • AMYBRAMYBR Member Posts: 3,432
    edited March 2015
    You cant overbet at NL4 :p, they will come along or they wont at whatever price you set.  He had blurg junk as he puts it in fo shizzle w Ax and FD's at this level.