You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Advice and help wanted here please??

2»

Comments

• Options
    mickgreenmickgreen Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2010
    hi guys, i think there is maybe a slight misunderstanding. I am not new to the game, i can actually play (a little) i think i have read pretty much all the books out there except the one Ms_Chips has advised, which i must add cant wait to get stuck in. As for things such as sateillites i have qualifyed for many tournamaments through sateillites including an £11 bounty hunter that i qualifyed for from a pound i think- i then went on to finish 11th out of 600 players. However as i say i thought i was better than i was and blew the lots, mainly on cash games- which i am now staying away from for the time being. I went bust, im not ashamed to admit it, poor play and chasing loses ended up in me losing it all, so now i am trying to build my roll to a decent amount so that i can start playing again and put all the knowledge that i have gained from you guys on the forum and strategy books hopefully to good use!

As for the mentoring i was just looking for some1 to watch me play-preferably some who plays for a living and maybe offer some advice as i know there is definatly room for improvement, i have recieved some excellent replies which i am totally grateful for and i look forward to getting back to the tables!

Kind Regards

Mike
  • Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited January 2010
    Mike,

One of the hardest things about this game is realising that it really can be a slog improving. Be open, take your game apart and take your mind off financial targets. The game is essentially a long series of individual hands and your job is to play each and every one of them as well as you can. Do that and the money will follow.

As for having people mentor you and watch as you play, just be a little careful on this one. Even if you have a great player stood over your shoulder, if they happen to play the game in a style that is utterly unlike your own, you can end up getting yourself muddled. Decide which players you admire and follow them, rather than have them try to break  your game down entirely. When I was learning, I watched as much of the WPT as I could and if I EVER saw a show that had Howard Lederer on it I would look at what he was doing. His hand ranges, tells, mannerisms at the table, bet sizes, what he was doing after he'd folded. By paying close attention to what they do with their game you do the most important thing of all, which is incorporate it in your own.

A lot of the shows we have now on Sky are geared that way. Rather than saying "fold tens under the gun but play jacks", we're trying to get Sky Poker players to think about why certain things work and other don't. I was on Master Cash and Orford and I had a couple of hands where we couldn't decide what the best play was. It's the charm of the game - play your own game, your own money and play it the best you can.

Good luck.

Dave