You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

do you think its easier to win in the daytime??

donkeyplopdonkeyplop Member Posts: 3,795
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
this may just be a massive coincidence but the last 2 days ive played 10 dym's

out of those 10 ive won 7 and lost 3!

the 7 ive won have all been before 6pm and the 3 i lost after!!!

maybe its a concentration thing but i do seem to win more in the daytime!!!

anyone else notice this???

Comments

• Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited January 2010
    I've said this many times on the forum before.

I tend not to play after seven for this very reason. It appears that during the day, more people are aware of chip stacks, position and the power of raises however, during the evening, any two cards will do and you tend to get busted more. Especially in DYM games.

To verify this I kept a spreadsheet to record my games, and yes my ratio of cashes was far higher during the day.

Generally, i do find the standard of play higher during the day. or perhaps it may be the standard is lower during the day!

I like to think it is higher as some of the cards I get busted out with after seven can sometimes be amazing.
  • Options
    RICHORFORDRICHORFORD Member Posts: 5,571
    edited January 2010
    In Response to do you think its easier to win in the daytime??:
    this may just be a massive coincidence but the last 2 days ive played 10 dym's out of those 10 ive won 7 and lost 3! the 7 ive won have all been before 6pm and the 3 i lost after!!! maybe its a concentration thing but i do seem to win more in the daytime!!! anyone else notice this???
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Very interesting question Mr. Plop (and insight Hayley)

I always laboured under the assumption that the daytime is when most people work and so a large proportion of players on the site are people who either play poker for a living or take it very seriously indeed.

Either way, I always thought it was more difficult to win during the day.
    I have no firm evidence to back this up, just a hunch.

Similarly, I was once read an interview with a hugely successful British online player who said that he made most of his money from 11pm till late on Friday and Saturday nights because that was when people came home from the pub a little bit worse for wear and would throw their money around on the tables without much skill and for a bit of a drunken laugh.

Maybe some of our other players who play at all times on the site can enlighten us?
  • Options
    NeildownNeildown Member Posts: 1,635
    edited January 2010
    From my experience id also have to say its harder to win during the day (seems the people that play poker for a living grind out the day)

And agree with what Rich said , i always try to get on late Friday and Saturday night to get the drunks (unforfunately im often drunk myself which don't help)
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: do you think its easier to win in the daytime??:
    In Response to do you think its easier to win in the daytime?? : Very interesting question Mr. Plop (and insight Hayley) I always laboured under the assumption that the daytime is when most people work and so a large proportion of players on the site are people who either play poker for a living or take it very seriously indeed. Either way, I always thought it was more difficult to win during the day. I have no firm evidence to back this up, just a hunch. Similarly, I was once read an interview with a hugely successful British online player who said that he made most of his money from 11pm till late on Friday and Saturday nights because that was when people came home from the pub a little bit worse for wear and would throw their money around on the tables without much skill and for a bit of a drunken laugh. Maybe some of our other players who play at all times on the site can enlighten us?
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    I work for a company that provides software and services to gaming companies (not poker software!). These gaming copmpanies make the most money between midnight and 3 (especially in the US) on Friday and Saturday nights, exactly for the reason Rich outlined; Players donking money all over the place after a few beers.
  • Options
    gizmokidgizmokid Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2010
    In Response to do you think its easier to win in the daytime?? : Very interesting question Mr. Plop (and insight Hayley) I always laboured under the assumption that the daytime is when most people work and so a large proportion of players on the site are people who either play poker for a living or take it very seriously indeed. Either way, I always thought it was more difficult to win during the day. I have no firm evidence to back this up, just a hunch. Similarly, I was once read an interview with a hugely successful British online player who said that he made most of his money from 11pm till late on Friday and Saturday nights because that was when people came home from the pub a little bit worse for wear and would throw their money around on the tables without much skill and for a bit of a drunken laugh. Maybe some of our other players who play at all times on the site can enlighten us?
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Poker is a game without real skill to much luck involved many bad beats to awful players, i see it is get your cards inn an go for it your cards are either ment to win or there not just look at how many times you fold a hand an it wins out the park you didnt play them cause you either can't afford to gamble big or your trying to trap a player an then get busted doing so, poker is a great game also its a bad game when you win its brill when your losing its guff take the good with the bad or don't play simple as that an it does'nt matter when you play the game day or night the end results are just the same!!!!!
  • Options
    NeildownNeildown Member Posts: 1,635
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: do you think its easier to win in the daytime?? : Poker is a game without real skill to much luck involved many bad beats to awful players, i see it is get your cards inn an go for it your cards are either ment to win or there not just look at how many times you fold a hand an it wins out the park you didnt play them cause you either can't afford to gamble big or your trying to trap a player an then get busted doing so, poker is a great game also its a bad game when you win its brill when your losing its guff take the good with the bad or don't play simple as that an it does'nt matter when you play the game day or night the end results are just the same!!!!!
    Posted by gizmokid

Not sure about that, if im playing a good player that thinks he knows what im holding he can bust some moves to try and push me off the pot, getting a read is skill and takes time and this is mostly what makes a good or bad player, the ones that are playing your cards not their own
    So even if your "ment " to win the pot with your hand a decent player can get you to fold more often than not.
  • Options
    AskiAski Member Posts: 263
    edited January 2010
    To be a total fence sitter yes and no, and the reason I say this is for a couple of reasons .

As Donkey states, he feels that maybe his concentration is better during the day, hence therefore from his perspective he will consider the situation a lot more whilst his mind remains fresh. Thus the OP in their situation has to consider is it actually a case where they are not as successful in the evening due to their own fatigue as opposed to others just getting lucky.

So why may you be more successul during the day. Probably less people play, thus you play against opponents on a more regular basis, thus you understand their play a lot more and are able to adapt your game to this. As Rich intimated, my own view is that the majority of people who play during the day are less casual players, thus you can deem that there is a better understanding of the game, thus possibly playing during the day may help to improve your game, and you may find that most clashes are with premium hands.

Now in the early evening, when people are getting home from work, you meet the more casual gamer. Someone who is an above average player should in theory have a skill advantage here, however what has to be remembered is that some of that players more subtle moves wont be understand by the casual player, thus bluff and semi bluff moves get called and you end up losing. In addition teh causual player may only have say 30 minutes of game time, thus they are more willing to play a wider selection of hands which on occasion will lead to outdraws.

However I think as all the analyst say probably at least once a show, is that you need to look towards the long term. A selection of 10 games by itself  is miniscule to make any assumptions on. In general over the long term, I would expect any above average player to have a better chance of cashing when there are more casual players on the site, although there will be times when you get your fingers burnt.

When I use to play on an American site, I never signed on until 11-12 pm on the basis as that was when a lot of Americans were getting home from work, and I was hoping to catch as many tired frustrated casual players as I could, before they all sat down for their evening dinner.

But each individual needs to consider their own position. If you play for say 3 or 4 hours during the day then as that time progresses weariness will start to settle in, thus when you play games against what we can call the more casual player, you may be just as fatigued as they are, with their advatnage being that they are playing not so much to make money , but to relax after a long days work, where as you end up becoming tenser and end up not playing your natural game.

So overall I would say in general it should be easier to win money at the latter parts of each day, but it is also going to depend on a specific player circumstances, and it is for this reason that I prefer to play teh early to mid morning MTT's, as 1) im fresh from a good nights sleep and 2)the games appear more sedate as with less runners, no one appears desperate to get all their chips in as soon as they can, thus allowing , in my opinion, a more enjoyable game.

Aski (Col)
    Fence Sitter extraordinaire
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    very interesting replys!!

maybe im just playing against alcholics who havnt been to bed yet?? lol

im starting to think it is probably fatigue as ive been signed off for 6 weeks so have been playing in the day alot!

i think by the evening maybe ive just not got the concentration!!

maybe i need a break for a few hours!!

i dont think im playing people in the day who are making a living from poker as i only play low entry games and they wont be playing in them.
  • Options
    BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
    edited January 2010
    Like a few above, I think that there is a greater percentage of better players on during the daytime, making it harder to do well.  Therefore, I would suggest the OP is a good player who either doesnt play so well after a few hours, or is simply going through a spell of badluck which happens to be during the evening.

over time I expect it would level out and the op would do better in the evening.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    im doing ok my sharkscope form is hot and my profit is $121.

ive set myself a challenge to win tonight lol
  • Options
    MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
    edited January 2010
    better play during day lol, but most win???? but get beat at nighttime??? which means worse players???? help?
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited January 2010
    Without a doubt I find it more difficult in the day.  I came to the same assumptions as orford about recreational players being at work and its just mostly grinders in the day.

Everyone has players they would rather avoid.  In the daytime I find a lot of these players are at the same table, so really not very profitable to sit at.

Difficult to make proper table selection on sky during the day as there are not that many running.

• Options
    edited January 2010

so im winning against better players and losing against the donks??? lmao!!!

• Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited January 2010
    I would say that the standard of play in the daytime is undoubtedly better. For a LAGtard like me, this makes the games easier to win. Conversely, the evening games are harder for me because all the other LAGtard/gamblers come out to play :o(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    this proves my theory!!! i had won 5 out of 5 dyms today. there were 4 left in this 6th game and look what happens lol! i would say its night time now!!!! spooky stuff!!! hahaha

Hand History #225932159 (17:01 21/01/2010)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    donkeyplop Small blind  150.00 150.00 2390.00
    TRU3BRU Big blind  300.00 450.00 2565.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

bendini Fold     
    doobieDD77 Fold     
    donkeyplop Raise  450.00 900.00 1940.00
    TRU3BRU All-in  2565.00 3465.00 0.00
    donkeyplop All-in  1940.00 5405.00 0.00
    TRU3BRU Unmatched bet  325.00 5080.00 325.00
    donkeyplop Show
    • A
    • A

TRU3BRU Show
    • Q
    • Q

Flop

• Q
    • Q

Turn

River

TRU3BRU Win Four Queens 5080.00  5405
  • Options
    dantb10dantb10 Member Posts: 583
    edited January 2010
    Rich has it spot on!
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited January 2010
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Or maybe its all those lazy housewives lolling about on the lappy, while the ironing stacks up, the dishes lay in the sink, chatting on the phone to other lazy housewives, donking their chips, thats why its easier before 6pm, after that the men of the house appear after a hard days slog and start to take all the chips of the donks that have won money from other donks - Or i might be mistaken lool - joke
  • Options
    dantb10dantb10 Member Posts: 583
    edited January 2010
    Im one of the drunken idiots who wants to win every pot 3barrelling into 4 players wi 3 high on a sat night at 12!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    just lost another game!!

hit trips on the river which game my opponent full house!!

think i will just stick to playing in the day lol
  • Options
    pr1nnyraidpr1nnyraid Member Posts: 495
    edited January 2010
    im not sure what its like with dym's, but i primarily play 50nl cash and would certainly say the standard of play in the day is better (nittier lol) although the positive thing i notice about my daytime sessions is that my win rate seems steadier... i think the evening game, (certainly at 50nl) is far more volatile and although im sure i would show greater profit margins from evening play it is def more volatile. x