You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

TT 3-handed - did I play even 1 street correctly here?

shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
edited November 2015 in Strategy
Table was just starting to break.  A few weeks ago I'd have insta 3b pre but recent downswing has resulted in a bout of gun-shy-itis.

From there - ?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
shakinaces Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £13.42
xBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £9.90
  Your hole cards

villainRaise  £0.20 £0.35 £5.01
shakinaces Call  £0.15 £0.50 £13.27
xCall  £0.10 £0.60 £9.80
Flop

shakinaces Check     
xBet  £0.30 £0.90 £9.50
villainCall  £0.30 £1.20 £4.71
shakinaces Call  £0.30 £1.50 £12.97
Turn

shakinaces Check     
xCheck     
villainBet  £0.75 £2.25 £3.96
shakinaces Call  £0.75 £3.00 £12.22
xCall  £0.75 £3.75 £8.75
River

shakinaces Check     
xCheck     
villainBet  £1.88 £5.63 £2.08
shakinaces Raise  £3.76 £9.39 £8.46

Comments

• gusamentsgusaments Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2015
    3bet pre to get it hu
    x/r flop, you're ahead way more often than behind (his calling range), and he will call with worse for sure, and 3 way protecting against overcards is more of a concern than hu as played. then bet turn, check decide on rivers higher than a T and check call on any river that isn't a 7, and bet huge on the T.

Interesting hand, as the board ran out flatting seems to have worked out fine, but you will see overcards on flop or turn far more often than you did in this instance and sb v button, especially for 50bb TT is a monster and you want to get as much money in with what is most likely the best hand pre v his range.

• grantorinograntorino Member Posts: 4,710
    edited June 2015
    Reads? 
    I prob 3b pre v shorty

Rest is fine I prob put the extra few cent in on river to put him all in
  • mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    edited June 2015
    In Response to TT 3-handed - did I play even 1 street correctly here?:
    Table was just starting to break.  A few weeks ago I'd have insta 3b pre but recent downswing has resulted in a bout of gun-shy-itis. From there - ? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance shakinaces Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £13.42 x Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.90   Your hole cards 10 10       villain Raise   £0.20 £0.35 £5.01 shakinaces Call   £0.15 £0.50 £13.27 x Call   £0.10 £0.60 £9.80 Flop     5 3 7       shakinaces Check         x Bet   £0.30 £0.90 £9.50 villain Call   £0.30 £1.20 £4.71 shakinaces Call   £0.30 £1.50 £12.97 Turn     2       shakinaces Check         x Check         villain Bet   £0.75 £2.25 £3.96 shakinaces Call   £0.75 £3.00 £12.22 x Call   £0.75 £3.75 £8.75 River     10       shakinaces Check         x Check         villain Bet   £1.88 £5.63 £2.08 shakinaces Raise   £3.76 £9.39 £8.46
    Posted by shakinaces
    Shakin  The situation you find your self in describing recent run and table breaking made you play the hand differently. You played the situation rather than your hand. You cant always be betting and automated because this hand means I do this. Poker is not rules. I hope what happens in this hand is you win. You are OOP you could well have the best hand. It seems like you keep getting people to put money in when you have the best hand . To call pre flop and flop and turn you are getting 2.5 to 1 then 4 to 1 then 3 to 1. These are easy decisions. They could be drawing they could have had sets or two pair hands. Someone could turn a straight with A4 or 46. You hit a set on the river now you beat jj and qq that maybe slowplayed. You beat 88 and 99 You beat club combos that had a pair and a draw but you do not beat 46 or A4 or those hands with clubs. You are surely best and saw a different outcome for going for the pot control line being oop. If you lost the hand then that is poker. Hope you are good.
    Best luck Danny
  • Highrol583Highrol583 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2015
    No offense but I don't think any street was played well there. Preflop you should 3b for value quite a lot of the time especially against the BTN range which should be wider and your call often leads to 3 way pots where you have to deal with overcards most of the time.
    Check calling once we flop an overpair seems like a slow play which is very dangerous with TT, it also gives you no information on the BTN range. The fish who donks probably has some kind of terrible draw far more often than he does it for value with sets or 46 but it should be getting check raised by the TT.
    The next street you are now behind a lot of the gut shots and double gutters that get there as well as a lot of his range picking up equity (not a good card), I can't say I like check calling again here.
    The river is obviously quite a good card for us although it can be troublesome in some obvious cases. The check/jam is not something I particularly like as although you now potentially get value from flopped or turned sets (which by now it looks like neither player has) it just polarizes you entirely and looks like straight or bluff, so i think you are mainly getting action from straights. Although your hand is extremely strong relative to the board, there is no need to polarize your range by making these moves, if you raised the flop and got action you would find that you have much less trouble stacking off with a strong hand and you can get max value the times you are good while working out on earlier street what the other guy's ranges are and get people to fold gut shots and nasty straight draws that are completed by the turn or river.
    Hope this helps
  • shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: TT 3-handed - did I play even 1 street correctly here?:
    No offense but I don't think any street was played well there. Preflop you should 3b for value quite a lot of the time especially against the BTN range which should be wider and your call often leads to 3 way pots where you have to deal with overcards most of the time. Check calling once we flop an overpair seems like a slow play which is very dangerous with TT, it also gives you no information on the BTN range. The fish who donks probably has some kind of terrible draw far more often than he does it for value with sets or 46 but it should be getting check raised by the TT. The next street you are now behind a lot of the gut shots and double gutters that get there as well as a lot of his range picking up equity (not a good card), I can't say I like check calling again here. The river is obviously quite a good card for us although it can be troublesome in some obvious cases. The check/jam is not something I particularly like as although you now potentially get value from flopped or turned sets (which by now it looks like neither player has) it just polarizes you entirely and looks like straight or bluff, so i think you are mainly getting action from straights. Although your hand is extremely strong relative to the board, there is no need to polarize your range by making these moves, if you raised the flop and got action you would find that you have much less trouble stacking off with a strong hand and you can get max value the times you are good while working out on earlier street what the other guy's ranges are and get people to fold gut shots and nasty straight draws that are completed by the turn or river. Hope this helps
    Posted by Highrol583
    Ha ha none taken, looking back now this was even more of a butchered hand by me than I first recalled.  The bad run I was on in the lead up to this hand had definitely led to even worse play on my behalf to exacerbate the downswing!

Decent analysis of the hand... good first post and you should definitely add more to the forums!
  • grantorinograntorino Member Posts: 4,710
    edited November 2015
    Re 3b pre
    I assume we are 3betting for value if we 3b. Do we fold to a 4b?
    btn 3b call and 4b range much more important than his opening range
    Yeah overcards aint fun,but they aint any more fun oop in a 3b pot. Whats the plan for postflop

c/r flop is spew readless imo. If we are behind we have 2 outs, and we are rarely far ahead unless villains like to stack off light or game is playing very aggro 

Also A4 only hand gets there on turn. Cant see any reason to do anything other than c/c
  • shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited November 2015
    I can't honestly remember who the two oppos were now so couldn't give player-specific responses to that.

Yes I'm 3b for value (normally) and readless I probably swing towards folding vs a decent sized 4b... vs an unknown random... on the basis that there is hardly anyone at NL10 that 4b bluffs (and I try to avoid sitting vs them!) and I'll likely have notes if someone will be 4b spewing (with any pair, any ace... of which there are many more) and adjust accordingly.

IIRC villain had smashed it on turn with A4o and I was drawing dead. River card just suckered me in to stacking off.

Dunno how differently it plays if I 3b (A4 prob still calls 3 handed?) and cbet (A4 prob floats with an over, gutshot?), it's just cold that I hit the river and (as played) could have just smooth called the river bet and saved a couple of quid.
  • like2biteUlike2biteU Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2015
    You misplayed the hand on every street IMO ;)

Pre 3bet for these stack sizes.

flop c/r for value, depending on reads you usually call, vs some opponents you could consider a herofold.

turn I would donk near pot size. You get some stupid bluffs in vs maniacs/LAG, protect your hand and have a good pot to stack ratio for a river shove or c/c on the river depending on reads. 

as played you have to donk the river AI. he usually has showdown value and will most likely check behind and is able to make a herocall.

L2BU
  • yuranASSetyuranASSet Member Posts: 485
    edited November 2015
    It's important to recognise and understand when your on tilt and what type of tilt your suffering from. Tilt isn't just donking off all your chips on gutshots and fresh air. Tightening up from your normal game (downswing or playing outwith your bankroll are the normal causes) is still a variation of tilt. If you decide not to 3bet a min raise from the Btn with TT because you are on a downswing, then there is only one choice for you to make. Shut down your tables, log out of Sky and call it a day.

Instead of playing, go over some hands from your downswing sessions. You should have been posting hands on the forum rather than playing, like you did when you posted this. I'm afraid your question on the thread title is redundant, because once you misplay a basic preflop play like you did, nothing else really matters. The reason you played the hand the way you did (and you recognised why) is far more important than how you played it (because you know what you did).