You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Aussie Millions

mickgreenmickgreen Member Posts: 99
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Does anyone know if the Aussie Millions is being shown on television??

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited January 2010

No Mick, it's not. Time difference makes it impractical.
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Aussie Millions:
    No Mick, it's not. Time difference makes it impractical.
    Posted by Tikay10
    The Aussie open tennis as well as cricket tours are shown live on tv with the same time difference.
  • Options
    MH45706MH45706 Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2010
    Is LIVE poker ever on? Surely it would be very dull if it was..when you see WSOP2008 or whatever on bravo its edited so only stuff that is remotly interesting is shown. Would be like watching paint dry if they showed EVERY hand.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

Id love to watch every hand - I think poker after dark did it? - That was just so dull due to the commentary....it wasnt very 'fun'. If Jesse May and a pro, or Mike Sexton and VVP was commentating, thered be alot of talk about game theory between hands, so it would be fun and educational at the same time.

DOHH
  • Options
    MH45706MH45706 Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2010
    Game theory? FUN????? I remember doing that at Uni..was about as much fun as having an STD
  • Options
    TVSpiceTVSpice Member Posts: 1,242
    edited January 2010
    Is LIVE poker ever on? Surely it would be very dull if it was..when you see WSOP2008 or whatever on bravo its edited so only stuff that is remotly interesting is shown. Would be like watching paint dry if they showed EVERY hand.
    Posted by MH45706
    Poker Million final always shown live on Sky Sports in December.  I enjoy it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I really don't know why it's not shown, but I suggested "time difference", & examples of other sports have been quoted.

The fact is, The Aussie Millions is not really that highly regarded even by poker geeks in this part of the world. The likely audience would be in the hundreds - it's jut not viable to screen a Show for that size audience.

Conversely, the Tennis gets a HUGE audience.

If you want to watch Live Poker for serious money, your choice is pretty slim - but without a shadow of doubt, the Poker Million has been the outstanding Show for some years now. It's on every December, & is aired Live, on Sky Sports.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Aussie Millions : The Aussie open tennis as well as cricket tours are shown live on tv with the same time difference.
    Posted by JingleMa
    Slightly different audience ratings compared to poker.......
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Aussie Millions : Poker Million final always shown live on Sky Sports in December.  I enjoy it.
    Posted by TVSpice
    I agree. The coverage is great.
    Although the amount of poker being covered by Sky Sports seems to be increasing, I'd like to see even more poker.
    The format of the current World Open on Channel 5 is excellent.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Aussie Millions : Slightly different audience ratings compared to poker.......
    Posted by Tikay10
    Agreed, so it's not the time difference then, which was the point I was really trying to make.

And we could easily be shown it in a two hour highlights package during the day like other events.
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited January 2010
    Game theory? FUN????? I remember doing that at Uni..was about as much fun as having an STD
    Posted by MH45706
    Getting an STD can be fun though, especially if you have to try many times.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Aussie Millions : Agreed, so it's not the time difference then, which was the point I was really trying to make. And we could easily be shown it in a two hour highlights package during the day like other events.
    Posted by JingleMa
    If there was a viable demand for it they would do exactly that. There is a demand, but it's way too small.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Aussie Millions : If there was a viable demand for it they would do exactly that. There is a demand, but it's way too small.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Well we are shown much smaller events on tv all the time in the UK so the market is certainly there.

I think it's a little bit like the chicken and the egg with the Aussie Millions.

You're right in saying there is not much interest over here at the moment, but many people probably don't even know it exists, and wont do until it is shown on a big channel like ch4, ch5 or sky sports who all have a dedicated poker audience.

I'm sure interest will grow quickly once people can see how big an event it is in the poker calendar.