You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What does it take to win (or even final table) in a big field MTT?

silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat

I’ve been playing poker now for about 3 ½ years or so. In that time I’ve managed to win a couple of small buy in MTT’s & run deep in a few others but for the life of me I cannot seem to go really deep in any of the bigger tourneys. In all the times I’ve played the open (or whatever it may be at 8pm on any given night) I’ve only ever cashed twice and even then it was the lowest echelons. I just can’t seem to go any deeper. In fact my best ever finish was 40th place sometime early last year if I remember correctly. Maybe it’s to do with the bigger fields or maybe it’s something more than that? I was thinking about this last night whilst scraping into the cash for only the 2nd time & I’ve come to the conclusions that there are 3 things you need in order to win any MTT with decent size fields.

1 – You have to at least understand the fundamental basics of the game.

Personally, I’ve never heard of a complete newbie to the game taking down any MTT let alone one with 400/500+ runners in it. I know that when I first started out I wanted to be involved & used to play pretty much literally every hand because I thought that it was worth seeing a flop because “you never know what might come out”. In a structured MTT you just can’t do this simply because the miracle flops are so called for a reason & before you know it you’ve lost your chips chasing one. You have to understand the importance of position, bet sizing & when to move & fold. It also helps if you’ve a reasonable understanding of mathematics for working out odds (although from a personal point of view I often end up going with instinct simply because of the amount of decision time you get, although I am slowly getting better). Without knowing & understanding these fundamental basics of the game you’re generally gonna get nowhere very fast (not to mention broke very quickly!).

2 – You’ve got to make fewer mistakes than anyone else in the field.

Poker is a game of incomplete information. In the vast majority of situations you’ve got to take into account things you know for certain (you know your hole cards & community cards), along with things you know about your opponent (how he plays in any given situation) & try to use that information to make a judgement as to what his likely holding is & therefore make a decision on what to do. As good as people are at this game, mistakes are inevitable. Everyone, without exception, will make them at one stage or another of a tournament. Some will cost you relatively few chips & some will cost you your entire tournament. Now imo, this is one of the main reasons why certain players always seem to be at final tables (think Ivey, Negreanu, etc) & not just in the major events but even on here too.  This is a skill that can (and generally must) be learned if you want to do well in these things more often than not.

3 – You will always need the poker gods & variance to be on your side when it’s your turn to win.

Again, I’ve never heard of any single player who has either won or gone very deep in a large field MTT without getting lucky at some stage. I have needed some major luck every single time I’ve gone deep in any tournament. To be fair, I even needed a huge slice of luck when I cashed last night as there was one hand when we were still a long way from the cash bubble where I managed to run my AJ into AK. Through a bad judgement call on my part, my entire tournament was on the line when I was a huge underdog. As it happens I got very lucky. But that’s the beauty of this game. With a little luck at the right time it can be anyone’s night. Even when someone's made a bad judgement call.

So my conclusion......................................................................................

Honestly, I don’t know. There’s obvious skills that I still need to learn that will help me in my quest for that 1st big payday but even then I’m in the hands of the poker gods.

And there you have it. These are just my views & I’m very interested to see everyone’s take on this. Maybe there’s even more to it than this & I’ve missed something out?

Regards

Jay (aka silentbob)

Comments

• Options
    N1CKN1CK Member Posts: 1,453
    edited January 2010
    im not reading all that ffs
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i read the first paragraph, you need two things to ft these krap shoots 1st is run like god 2nd is a bit of luck
  • Options
    DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited January 2010
    well i was going to answer your question but you pretty much said what i was thinking....

i would only add that you could try loosening up early on,and playing your big hands strong,as early on people seem to call with 2nd pair e.t.c......

good luck,hope to meet you on the ft any time soon......
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

I think the key thing on making a fina table, is not being scared to risk your tourny life at any point, if it is the right move for long term success.

Eg, being aggressive around about bubble times, making moves with weak hands, betting big on the river when u have missed a draw and u feel ur opponent is weak etc etc etc.

As for winning, Im the master of blowing huge stacks, so ill let someone else answer that one.

DOHH
  • Options
    philmenowphilmenow Member Posts: 617
    edited January 2010
    luck,focus,luck,patience,luck,avoiding bad luck,luck,definitely getting chips early allows you to make situations happen,more luck,and luck...
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: What does it take to win (or even final table) in a big field MTT?:
    Posted by N1CK
    I thought it was a good post, enjoyed reading it.

I think all your points are valid, the only thing I would generically add would be to selectively up your aggression as the tournie goes on, but luck will always have to play a part in large mtt's.
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: What does it take to win (or even final table) in a big field MTT?:
    Posted by N1CK
    Wow, that's a really helpful & constructive reply there Nick. Seriously, why bother even replying?

If you don't want to read it all then fine, you have the freedom of choice but why not do what I & many others do & simply move on to the next thread rather than trying to be funny (and failing).
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2010
    Silentbob i am no master yet but in the 7 months ive been playing i have cashed about a dozen times in the 8pm tournys.23rd in an open,10th in a 5.5k b/h being my best finishes.I have also final tabled in a good few orfordables and one a 8.15 deepy and a tikay sleepstack.Picking your right moves with strong hands is crucial imo but at the end of the day you need an enormous amount of luck.dav
  • Options
    Taller_GuyTaller_Guy Member Posts: 289
    edited January 2010

As Phil says, you need luck, patience and chips, together with a lot of confidence.  If you've got a monster hand, get your chips in first and try to maximize your returns.  If you've got a hand that makes you think you may not be favourite to take down the pot, then don't waste chips chasing it, just get out.  The odds are against that straight, or whatever, falling in on the river - that's why they're called miracle cards.

In my opinion, Dohhhhhh's got it spot on when he says be aggressive the deeper you get.  This is the biggest reason why I fail to win more than I should.  Just in the TKO on Tuesday, I was second after 30 minutes, then 6th or 7th for a time, but ended up 141st because I was scared to risk my chips in the later stages.

Last weekend, I was playing in a tourney on another site.  There were 180 runners and at one point my stack was down to just three figures, but I hit a patch where I couldn't lose and started to bet big because I instinctively knew I was going to win the pot.  I actually ended up winning it (my first tourney win) because I was aggressive.  Obviously, I lost my bottle by Tuesday, but the examples still a good one.

Be aggressive in the later stages and maximize your returns when you've got the stronger hands.

Graham

• Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited January 2010
    I think the key thing on making a fina table, is not being scared to risk your tourny life at any point, if it is the right move for long term success. Eg, being aggressive around about bubble times, making moves with weak hands, betting big on the river when u have missed a draw and u feel ur opponent is weak etc etc etc. As for winning, Im the master of blowing huge stacks, so ill let someone else answer that one. DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    In the words of the late (recently sadly deceased) Amir Vahedi "In order to live, you must be willing to die"!
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited January 2010
    luck ;)
  • Options
    bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited January 2010
    Bob   What you need  both online and live is,  for your big hands to hold up  and your 50/50s to go your way .. Any tournament  player who says  its  skill is talking   %^*&^ox !!

What you dont want is bad luck .. other than that  :))    Patience early on,  build a stack slowly ...as you get to the last 20 

If your big stack pressure when your in position .. lean on small stacks
    If your middle stack .. dont gamble grind it to ladder (assuming you have at least 10 BB)
    If your short stack .. go for the gamble shove   and shove again, you have nothing to lose   and every thing to gain ..

It all sounds easy  but,  at all stages you need to be hitting some cards and even more late on when the blinds start to make it a "c rap shoot"

Conclusion .. You need a poker fairy sitting on your shoulder as the tournament nears the end ....   glk   and great post ..   (ignore the muppets)   :)
  • Options
    MH45706MH45706 Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2010
    Good topic Bob...N1ck shut up and keep your immature opinions to yourself..
  • Options
    ybyb Member Posts: 1,471
    edited January 2010
    First of all you need to be lucky. Generally you will have to win at least one coin flip for your tourny life if you are going to go really deep. For the first few blind levels I would say play tight aggressive, only play a few hands but make sure you are the aggressor (apart from small pocket pairs, its ok if you want to limp in with these imo). 

If you've been fortunate enough to build up a big chip stack when the blinds levels are getting bigger (say when the average chip stack is < 20 bb's) then bullying the shorter stacks is crucial. If you have an average or less than average stack it's best to be looking for situations to 3 bet shove or just open shove if you're getting very low. I think it's very important at these levels to not be calling and seeing flops, that's just a very easy way to bleed away chips.

Also if you want to make a final table you can't be scared to bubble, I always get very aggressive around the bubble (especially in larger buy-in tournaments) because generally people are playing really tight at this stage and are only going to call you with premium hands so its a good chance to get some more chips. Like for example last week in the primo around the bubble I more than doubled my stack without ever seeing a flop. 

Then once everyone's in the money the play will loosen up again, but by being aggressive on the bubble you should be able to be a bit more patient, and pick your spots to get your chips in in front.
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited January 2010
    If I ever win one on here I'll let you know Bob.
  • Options
    Mr_MiyagiMr_Miyagi Member Posts: 2,031
    edited January 2010
    would you tell me too elsa?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    would you tell me too elsa?
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi
    I'll tell you too m8, in fact I'll tell everyone in great big letters.

I looked at the ''hot-o-meter'' tonight (first time I've ever looked at it) and I think I've sussed why I can't get through the fish. I only looked at a few hands and apparently J8 is a ''top hand'' I'm sure there are lots of other ''top hands'' that I've been discarding. At least I now know why my raises keep getting called with junk.

Sorry to divert the thread Bob .............  great post!
  • Options
    philmenowphilmenow Member Posts: 617
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: What does it take to win (or even final table) in a big field MTT? : I'll tell you too m8, in fact I'll tell everyone in great big letters. I looked at the ''hot-o-meter'' tonight (first time I've ever looked at it) and I think I've sussed why I can't get through the fish. I only looked at a few hands and apparently J8 is a ''top hand'' I'm sure there are lots of other ''top hands'' that I've been discarding. At least I now know why my raises keep getting called with junk. Sorry to divert the thread Bob .............  great post!
    Posted by elsadog
    lol,so true,its defo something sky should get rid of,very misleading
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'll  try to answer your question sensibly Bob.

You summed up 3 good factors there Bob. All important and as Benny says you do need an amount of luck. Dohhhhhhh also makes good points regarding aggression and the will to win (or die) when necessary. All very valuable advice and not much I could add to them.

The thing I think a lot of players fail to recognise is that there are dynamics to any tournament which call for decisions on your part. This has little to do with maths or the cards you hold. You should at all times be aware of your position in the tournament, you should know every player's stack at your table and know what each player is likely to do as the tournament evolves. Short stacks imo are not always the ones to attack. Mid-stacks are easier targets as the bubble nears, There is a balance between chip conservation and stack building that needs to be managed throughout, but particularly in the end game.

The one common fault of most players is ''dipping for the line'' too soon. Timing is everything and good cards help. I once heard a very good tournament player say that it's a succession of scenarios that need to be judged. That's very deep but so true.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: What does it take to win (or even final table) in a big field MTT? : Wow, that's a really helpful & constructive reply there Nick. Seriously, why bother even replying? If you don't want to read it all then fine, you have the freedom of choice but why not do what I & many others do & simply move on to the next thread rather than trying to be funny (and failing).
    Posted by silentbob
    ok boss but i did reply straight after my first post, i dont know why you make a big deal out of a little bit of light humour???? sorry if that offended you sir maybe you should live up to your name  and SHHHHHHHHHHHH