You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Anyone play online poker for a living, or to earn a living....

burnanatorburnanator Member Posts: 67
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
If so how did you start, how long did it take u to build up, what did u deposit to start and how many hours a day you play and at what level, cash tourny....

Regards

Pete

Comments

• Options
    MH45706MH45706 Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2010
    Would be nice!!
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Anyone play online poker for a living, or to earn a living....:
    If so how did you start, how long did it take u to build up, what did u deposit to start and how many hours a day you play and at what level, cash tourny.... Regards Pete
    Posted by burnanator
    I`d love some of the big hitters to give us a `my story` post.

I`m sure I read somewhere JAMES has only been playing 2.5 years.  Thats incredible seeing as how successful he is.

Come on pro`s, give us an insight of how you started to where you are now and how you did it and all that.

After all, we, the community have to vote on a total player sooner or later ;;;---)))
  • Options
    Mr_MiyagiMr_Miyagi Member Posts: 2,031
    edited January 2010
    was thinking about it. But i love my job too much.

Data entry is the place to be.
  • Options
    namesb0ndnamesb0nd Member Posts: 402
    edited January 2010
    it would great to hear some of the pro stories
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Anyone play online poker for a living, or to earn a living....:
    it would great to hear some of the pro stories
    Posted by namesb0nd
    yea it would, the wife goes bk to work in may after maternity leave so im thinking about it, need a proper insight though from someone itk..

Pete
  • Options
    dantb10dantb10 Member Posts: 583
    edited January 2010
    Hey,

Im definately not a pro, but i can give you my poker story.

I started playing poker 3 years ago on christmas day! Scrabble was getting tedious and the alcohol was flowing and my old man pipes up saying 'why dont we play poker!'

Me, my mum, girlfriend and nan had never played cards before, let alone poker!

We agreed and he got the match sticks out, and began to teach us!

4 hours later, my nans purse was full of matchsticks! She cleaned up! So anyway, i was hooked. The next day, i was at a friends house and decided to share my wicked new discovery, and then they were hooked. For around 3 months i just played home games, and then realised i was doing ok, ans saw an advertisement for an online poker site.

So i set an account up, and started playing £5 sit and goes. (think i deposited £10) spun that up to about £100 and thort i was phuil ivey! (obv dint know who he was at that time)

Then inevitably went bust!

After repeating this busto thing around 10 times, i decided i wanted to get serious, so just typed in google 'poker strategy tips' and wow, i couldnt believe all the info!

As i was a student at the time, i had alot of time on my hands, and just started to learn, and after reading for 3 hours, id play for an hour and try to put into practise what id learned!

Then i heard about poker books! I bough, super system 1 & 2 & hellmuths play poker with the pro's thingy.

So here i was with my TAG style, making notes on people callling them 'elephants' 'mouse' 'lion' that sort of stuff!

If remember right i deposited 100 quid of my student loan, and lost it, then £200 and went on a hot streak! I still wasnt using good BRM, but i won a couple of £20 tournies for like £500 and that gave me about a 1k roll.

This is when i began to play on sky poker, and just put in loads of hours, gaining experience, and the roll began to grow. I steered away from sit and goes for a while, and just played 100nl cash.

This is when i started to gain a few moves to my game and really started taking it seriously. Uni got booted, and i was playing full time everyday!

BR was now around 3k i fink, but i was still tilting badly, and not realising about variance and the 'swings'

I bought a few more books, a sklansky tourny one, which i would recommend to everyone! I guess the point im making is im always learning and studying and wanting to improve. I think that will to win and succeed is what you need as a player.

Then in 2009 after playing for two years i had a healthy bankroll to play most limits up to 500nl. Then the vegas sats were in full swing and decided to take a shot at the vegas lite package, and won the seat! This was a huge moment for me, as a poker enthusiast, to go to vegas was the dream!

Anyway, went to vegas and cashed in the event. 41st out of 3000 fink it was, and it was for just under $12,000.

This gave me the belief that i can play with the best of them and hold my own. I played with JC tran, jason mercier, rolande de wolfe, raymand rahme, and a few others. It was a sureal experience, and one i will remember for a very long time.

The sky team were terific, and i learnt alot from TK in particular, about how to conduct yourself at a poker table.

So anyway, its the start of 2010, ive been chosen for total player which im soooo excited about, and starts tomorrow! Im in the middle of a downswing, (you know the type, in ahead 80% fav blah de blah, but i understand this comes with the territory and you have to deal with it!

I still have a job, but i do take my poker very seriously, and one day hope to be a 'pro' or take down a big score!

Im hoping 2010 will be the year! Hope i havent bored you too much with this, but just thort id share with you my journey!

Will be good to hear others stories on their poker life!

Dan
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    edited January 2010

Great post Dan, good luck for 2010.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Anyone play online poker for a living, or to earn a living....:
    Hey, Im definately not a pro, but i can give you my poker story. I started playing poker 3 years ago on christmas day! Scrabble was getting tedious and the alcohol was flowing and my old man pipes up saying 'why dont we play poker!' Me, my mum, girlfriend and nan had never played cards before, let alone poker! We agreed and he got the match sticks out, and began to teach us! 4 hours later, my nans purse was full of matchsticks! She cleaned up! So anyway, i was hooked. The next day, i was at a friends house and decided to share my wicked new discovery, and then they were hooked. For around 3 months i just played home games, and then realised i was doing ok, ans saw an advertisement for an online poker site. So i set an account up, and started playing £5 sit and goes. (think i deposited £10) spun that up to about £100 and thort i was phuil ivey! (obv dint know who he was at that time) Then inevitably went bust! After repeating this busto thing around 10 times, i decided i wanted to get serious, so just typed in google 'poker strategy tips' and wow, i couldnt believe all the info! As i was a student at the time, i had alot of time on my hands, and just started to learn, and after reading for 3 hours, id play for an hour and try to put into practise what id learned! Then i heard about poker books! I bough, super system 1 & 2 & hellmuths play poker with the pro's thingy. So here i was with my TAG style, making notes on people callling them 'elephants' 'mouse' 'lion' that sort of stuff! If remember right i deposited 100 quid of my student loan, and lost it, then £200 and went on a hot streak! I still wasnt using good BRM, but i won a couple of £20 tournies for like £500 and that gave me about a 1k roll. This is when i began to play on sky poker, and just put in loads of hours, gaining experience, and the roll began to grow. I steered away from sit and goes for a while, and just played 100nl cash. This is when i started to gain a few moves to my game and really started taking it seriously. Uni got booted, and i was playing full time everyday! BR was now around 3k i fink, but i was still tilting badly, and not realising about variance and the 'swings' I bought a few more books, a sklansky tourny one, which i would recommend to everyone! I guess the point im making is im always learning and studying and wanting to improve. I think that will to win and succeed is what you need as a player. Then in 2009 after playing for two years i had a healthy bankroll to play most limits up to 500nl. Then the vegas sats were in full swing and decided to take a shot at the vegas lite package, and won the seat! This was a huge moment for me, as a poker enthusiast, to go to vegas was the dream! Anyway, went to vegas and cashed in the event. 41st out of 3000 fink it was, and it was for just under $12,000. This gave me the belief that i can play with the best of them and hold my own. I played with JC tran, jason mercier, rolande de wolfe, raymand rahme, and a few others. It was a sureal experience, and one i will remember for a very long time. The sky team were terific, and i learnt alot from TK in particular, about how to conduct yourself at a poker table. So anyway, its the start of 2010, ive been chosen for total player which im soooo excited about, and starts tomorrow! Im in the middle of a downswing, (you know the type, in ahead 80% fav blah de blah, but i understand this comes with the territory and you have to deal with it! I still have a job, but i do take my poker very seriously, and one day hope to be a 'pro' or take down a big score! Im hoping 2010 will be the year! Hope i havent bored you too much with this, but just thort id share with you my journey! Will be good to hear others stories on their poker life! Dan
    Posted by dantb10
    Dan,  Not a bad record for 3 years experience, pm me with the name of the best books and where you got em from..If you carry on as you are im sure you will get where you wanna be, im a few steps behind you and am looking at ways to improve my game, as always.

Hope people can add there own stories

thanks dan
  • Options
    AceAceBabyAceAceBaby Member Posts: 77
    edited January 2010
    inspiring post dan. nice to see you have taken the time to write such a detailed post. gl with cash and 2010. :)
  • Options
    ACBRO67ACBRO67 Member Posts: 86
    edited January 2010
    Can't ever see myself playing online poker for a living.

Like my job and it pays me well ( lucky me!!!!). Enjoy poker for what it is and that's just a bit of fun. To try and make a living would make it far too serious for me ( not that I'm having a go at those who do).

I've won a few 'biggish' tourneys in my time ( on and off two years) the biggest being £2000 which paid for a nice holiday for the family. That'll do me.....dont want to lose much,don't expect to win much.

I don't profess to be a good player but sometimes I get ' in the zone' as I am sure we all do!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    emilyeggemilyegg Member Posts: 3,408
    edited January 2010
    Got a poker book I wanted for Christmas, (which the wife had a real job finding seemingly) have read it from Cover to Cover twice now but can make no sense of it at all.

• Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited January 2010
    Hey, Im definately not a pro, but i can give you my poker story. I started playing poker 3 years ago on christmas day! Scrabble was getting tedious and the alcohol was flowing and my old man pipes up saying 'why dont we play poker!' Me, my mum, girlfriend and nan had never played cards before, let alone poker! We agreed and he got the match sticks out, and began to teach us! 4 hours later, my nans purse was full of matchsticks! She cleaned up! So anyway, i was hooked. The next day, i was at a friends house and decided to share my wicked new discovery, and then they were hooked. For around 3 months i just played home games, and then realised i was doing ok, ans saw an advertisement for an online poker site. So i set an account up, and started playing £5 sit and goes. (think i deposited £10) spun that up to about £100 and thort i was phuil ivey! (obv dint know who he was at that time) Then inevitably went bust! After repeating this busto thing around 10 times, i decided i wanted to get serious, so just typed in google 'poker strategy tips' and wow, i couldnt believe all the info! As i was a student at the time, i had alot of time on my hands, and just started to learn, and after reading for 3 hours, id play for an hour and try to put into practise what id learned! Then i heard about poker books! I bough, super system 1 & 2 & hellmuths play poker with the pro's thingy. So here i was with my TAG style, making notes on people callling them 'elephants' 'mouse' 'lion' that sort of stuff! If remember right i deposited 100 quid of my student loan, and lost it, then £200 and went on a hot streak! I still wasnt using good BRM, but i won a couple of £20 tournies for like £500 and that gave me about a 1k roll. This is when i began to play on sky poker, and just put in loads of hours, gaining experience, and the roll began to grow. I steered away from sit and goes for a while, and just played 100nl cash. This is when i started to gain a few moves to my game and really started taking it seriously. Uni got booted, and i was playing full time everyday! BR was now around 3k i fink, but i was still tilting badly, and not realising about variance and the 'swings' I bought a few more books, a sklansky tourny one, which i would recommend to everyone! I guess the point im making is im always learning and studying and wanting to improve. I think that will to win and succeed is what you need as a player. Then in 2009 after playing for two years i had a healthy bankroll to play most limits up to 500nl. Then the vegas sats were in full swing and decided to take a shot at the vegas lite package, and won the seat! This was a huge moment for me, as a poker enthusiast, to go to vegas was the dream! Anyway, went to vegas and cashed in the event. 41st out of 3000 fink it was, and it was for just under $12,000. This gave me the belief that i can play with the best of them and hold my own. I played with JC tran, jason mercier, rolande de wolfe, raymand rahme, and a few others. It was a sureal experience, and one i will remember for a very long time. The sky team were terific, and i learnt alot from TK in particular, about how to conduct yourself at a poker table. So anyway, its the start of 2010, ive been chosen for total player which im soooo excited about, and starts tomorrow! Im in the middle of a downswing, (you know the type, in ahead 80% fav blah de blah, but i understand this comes with the territory and you have to deal with it! I still have a job, but i do take my poker very seriously, and one day hope to be a 'pro' or take down a big score! Im hoping 2010 will be the year! Hope i havent bored you too much with this, but just thort id share with you my journey! Will be good to hear others stories on their poker life! Dan
    Posted by dantb10
    great post ,

think theirs a book in it lol,

gl in tp
  • Options
    emilyeggemilyegg Member Posts: 3,408
    edited January 2010
    Nice Stories and insight as well. Very Interesting.
  • Options
    STEVEMAXSTEVEMAX Member Posts: 489
    edited January 2010
     Great post and best of luck in the future

of your poker life..dantb10
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2010
    Great great post dan m8 really nice of you to tell us in such great detail.Envious i am.Good luck to you in total player and all that you want in life.dav
  • Options
    apollo_11apollo_11 Member Posts: 969
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the insight, Dan.
    I only play for fun and if I do have a nice cash in a MTT then another bill has been paid.
  • Options
    Nutter5932Nutter5932 Member Posts: 349
    edited January 2010
    I'll post mine up tomorrow 
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited January 2010
    hmmm i dont play for a living but i do consider poker as a part time job so can i tell my story :)?
  • Options
    Mr_MiyagiMr_Miyagi Member Posts: 2,031
    edited January 2010
    hmmm i dont play for a living but i do consider poker as a part time job so can i tell my story :)?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Sure as long as it doesnt start with Once upon a time.

or end with "and it was all a dream!"
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

Tell it blackfish, also, look at my new thread about sng's m8, as a winning player at these games, wud appreciate ur input.

DOHH