You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Quiet in here... AK oop query

shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
edited August 2015 in Strategy
Must be due a post.

Simple stuff, it's summer.

Never really know how best to proceed in these sort of spots.  Have heard a few regs at these levels talk about just flatting AKo pre when oop (unless going 4-6-way to the flop or everyone has limped) and looking to hit or be able to float with nut nothing/overs.

Seems weak though.

UTG open here is from one of the best regs at the NL8/10 games. 
Never seen BU before but is l/c or c/c almost everything here. Must be playing about 75-80% of flops over 20-30mins.

So I opted to raise for value and to isolate them. Hating life if UTG 4b and would sigh fold, even though they are capable of seeing my bet for a squeeze, with the BU likely to come along for the ride I'm not sure they'd pick this spot to 4b super light.

All good.  But then stuck with the usual problem of how to carry on from here.  Yeah he has a weak range, but could easily have Jx Tx or some part of a draw and can assume to be putting in more money with an underpair as well.

Yet giving up feels so weak. Even though, yes, I only have Ace high.

So cbet?  c/c?  c/f?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
shakinaces Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £8.54
WUBBZY1401 Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £19.57
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

UTGRaise  £0.24 £0.36 £9.30
shad8604 Fold     
chrisx2525 Fold     
BUCall  £0.24 £0.60 £5.83
shakinaces Raise  £1.00 £1.60 £7.54
WUBBZY1401 Fold     
UTGFold     
BUCall  £0.80 £2.40 £5.03
Flop

• J

shakinaces next?
Hand History #936056799 (22:28 11/08/2015)

Comments

• Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited August 2015
    Would never 3b AK only 100bb vs someone capable of 4b bluffing (or 4b light for value) if I intended to fold to that 4b. We should be 3b and happy to GII vs their 4b. Otherwise you're basically turning your AK into a bluff when you 3b.

As for flop, probably bet small-ish and go from there.
  • Options
    shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited August 2015
    Thanks Ivan.

I get what you mean, just don't feel that UTG in this spot is somewhere that they will be bluff heavy because they'll be opening quite a tight range (IMO). 

If they'd opened from a later position their range would have more bluff options and I'd go with it (although not exactly fist pump 5b shoving and expect to be behind a lot).

Does that give it any justification to just calling pre or should it still be a 3b the majority of time?
  • Options
    mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Quiet in here... AK oop query:
    Thanks Ivan. I get what you mean, just don't feel that UTG in this spot is somewhere that they will be bluff heavy because they'll be opening quite a tight range (IMO).  If they'd opened from a later position their range would have more bluff options and I'd go with it (although not exactly fist pump 5b shoving and expect to be behind a lot). Does that give it any justification to just calling pre or should it still be a 3b the majority of time?
    Posted by shakinaces
    Shakin,

Just calling pre is sometimes a good idea with AK especially 3x raises and also 3 bets. You disguise the strength of your hand , you keep the pot smaller when oop and it means that you are not explotable. Mixing it up with premium hands in your calling range is a must just to balance your range and make you harder to play against. But the biggest point is not to be exploited.
    If you have sat down for two hours and built a stack up and then lose it in one hand with your kings vs their aces or vice versa, it can be very dissapointing.  So you don't always have to play for stacks when super deep. Leave that to the pro's.;
    Good luck
    Danny
  • Options
    percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    edited August 2015
    the stack to pot ratio is quite awkward, so I believe you have to make this a 2 street game.

our hand has a lot of equity against his range, despite the fact it's currently unpaired, so we're of course never x/folding. We can either bet for a little bit of protection, or we can x/c. I think the ev of both options are very close, if not the same, meaning we can do either. I would probably start with a smallish bet. anything 1/2 pot or smaller.

flatting pre would be a mistake simply because the EV of squeezing here is higher. AK is a very strong hand and it gains a lot of EV simply by getting hands to fold pre, which happens quite often because of our A and our K (good blockers) and even when called we have so much equity vs anything, so that's why we should rarely flat this hand pre.