You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Yucky spot!

cowheadcowhead Member Posts: 177
edited December 2021 in Strategy
2/35/285
30 players paid.

I know villain to be a very competent player who I imagine has me pegged as very agro from previous history,  especially around the bubble with a big stack.

I had 25k behind after the open.

Thoughts???

Hand History #939142385 (23:22 21/08/2015)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
albert1962 Small blind  300.00 300.00 9051.25
seductor Big blind  600.00 900.00 10260.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

cowhead Raise  1200.00 2100.00 25155.00
Aido_dom Fold     
Villain All-in  19397.50 21497.50 0.00
cabbo79 Fold     
albert1962 Fold     
seductor Fold     
cowhead Fold     
Villain Show     
Villain Win  3300.00  3300.00
Villain  Return  18197.50

Comments

• Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 828
    edited August 2015
    Snap Call, expect  his premiums AA or KK to raise smaller here. Some players could turn up with AK here but I wouldn't be surprised to see a hand like 9's here. If he thinks your aggro he probably thinks your opening near to any two on the bubble so might jam pairs and AJ kind of stuff.
    I think my calling range for this spot would be Tens+ AKo, maybe AQs 
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532
    edited August 2015

I don't normally comment on these, but will give my thoughts on this one.

Interesting spot. He could of possibly seen your min raise a sign of weakness but hopefully you may of min raised with a prem in hope of getting it in against any raise. If he also thought this, a jam is a good move here to force you to call.I don't think I could fold there as you have player covered. I think you also have 25K back and even if you call and lose, you still have 6k ish to spin back up.

Anyway, like I say, I don't think I could fold but I notice that the player did show after you mucked. He must of respected your play here....unless he showed 7 2 os ;)
  • Options
    ommomm Member Posts: 444
    edited August 2015
    Have you seen him push 32bbs with AA or KK before? Possibly more likely to do it with AK. I with the other 2 on this one, unless I have a specific read on the player (which would be in the notes and tagged) I'm calling. 
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Yucky spot!:
    Have you seen him push 32bbs with AA or KK before? Possibly more likely to do it with AK. I with the other 2 on this one, unless I have a specific read on the player (which would be in the notes and tagged) I'm calling. 
    Posted by omm
    I haven't seen this player shove this big in the past. I do have notes on the player but can't remember what they are off hand, but they certainly don't have anything to do with a spot like this.

At the time I didn't think the player in question would make this move with AK (unlike some).

I really didn't know what to make of it at the time to be honest. I'm in no way a player that will fold my way to the money and do play for the win.

My question really is what is he trying to achieve here? If I'm raising light and he has a premium, I'm folding and he's not getting any sort of value from his hand. If he's shoving hands like middle pairs and AK, AQ etc and is called he's probably in trouble.

I actually know what he had as he showed but I'm still feeling the fold was incorrect.
    More comments/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    edited August 2015
    I don't normally comment on these, but will give my thoughts on this one. Interesting spot. He could of possibly seen your min raise a sign of weakness but hopefully you may of min raised with a prem in hope of getting it in against any raise. If he also thought this, a jam is a good move here to force you to call.I don't think I could fold there as you have player covered. I think you also have 25K back and even if you call and lose, you still have 6k ish to spin back up. Anyway, like I say, I don't think I could fold but I notice that the player did show after you mucked. He must of respected your play here....unless he showed 7 2 os ;)
    Posted by MAXALLY

I agree with what is highlighted (and I would also struggle to fold :-)).

The very fact that most commentators have expressed the opinion that they would expect this move from 99, AK AQ ranges would be a good enough reason for anyone holding a very strong hand KK AA to make this move. If villian respects your game and can reasonably expect you to take that line of thinking then a shove is a very smart play IMO.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Yucky spot! : I agree with what is highlighted (and I would also struggle to fold :-)). The very fact that most commentators have expressed the opinion that they would expect this move from 99, AK AQ ranges would be a good enough reason for anyone holding a very strong hand KK AA to make this move. If villian respects your game and can reasonably expect you to take that line of thinking then a shove is a very smart play IMO.
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    At the time I didnt know what to think of it but the more I think of it the more i like his shove (for the reason you mentioned) and dislike my fold. He did actually show KK so the fold was right but i still think long term I have to call as a lot of players will do this with the hands you mentioned 99 AK, AQ etc.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Yucky spot! : At the time I didnt know what to think of it but the more I think of it the more i like his shove (for the reason you mentioned) and dislike my fold. He did actually show KK so the fold was right but i still think long term I have to call as a lot of players will do this with the hands you mentioned 99 AK, AQ etc.
    Posted by cowhead
    This is only good if he knows you have a hand. You have opened which you doing with 100% of your range so I dont see how he can know.