You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

HOW TO DEAL WITH BAD RUN IN MTTs

GILLS69GILLS69 Member Posts: 104
edited December 2021 in Strategy
                              Hi
                                 Im having a really bad run of results lately which has been going on for about a month now.I usually get to about the last 2 tables but often bubble the cash or get there or about there to be beaten by a sick beat.Its getting me down in a bad way as im used to doing ok in small stakes MTTs.
                                                                                       I know poker has its down-turns but i have'nt let it tilt me and i stand by my moves in the scenarios that ultimately get me busted out.Should i adjust or just wait till the cards warm to my game?Its just so frustrating that ive played the same players so many times and been very successful in the past.
                                                                                                                                                  Am i just letting it get to me too much and should i carry on regardless?
                                                             Thoughts/advice please,
                                                                                                   Jim

Comments

• Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 828
    edited August 2015
    You shouldn't get too disheartned from having a bad run if you think that your playing well enough too make profit. It's something which I struggle with, being too results orientated. Winning or losing shouldn't be a measure of how you've played as there's so much variance in the short term. For example last session I felt I played really well in all my tournaments and booked a small loss BUT I think I played better than I have in sessions where I've finished in profit.

If your playing a winning strategy than changing your game plan usually has adverse effects. For example if your shoving a 10 blind stack and happen to run into the top end of an opponents range often in a short time period you might adjust by shoving tighter and thus playing less profitably by missing lots of profitable spots to shove. It is definitely worth reviewing some hands after your session what you struggled with and try and identify any mistakes your making, not just the hands you bust with.

It's easier said than done to not let the figures consume you and it can be pretty disheartening when you play well and lose. I bought the mental game of poker by Jared Tendler. He takes a really logical approach to the mental game and reading it has made me feel better. (and slightly stupid) If you search some of the best players on the site a lot of them have experienced periods of 500+ games where they've been losing money so your not alone in your bad streak.

• Options
    truly56truly56 Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2015
      Hi Gills, awe im sure your luck will turn around. My very best wishes. Gl gl gl gl gl , take care
                                                From truly56
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited November 2015
    Getting to the last two tables is the skill bit. Anything after that is mostly luck. 
    I know it can be frustrating to run deep then virtually break even as you don't make the big money top 3 spots, but just keep making the last 20 and it will come.

Gl.

• Options
    James_PondJames_Pond Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2015
    Hi Gills,

Feel for ya. I feel exactly the same - going through a real rut and can't seem to get out of it. 

I'm just trying to keep it cool and play my game as that has worked for me since the beginning so there should be no reason why it can't work again now. 

I feel a big win is brewing, i just hope it comes before Christmas! :)