You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Butchering a hand on every street - please dissect

shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
edited August 2015 in Strategy
UTG was playing almost every pot, but always coming in for a min raise (which seemed to equate to weakness) or pot raise (which seemed to equate to strength). Was almost always calling 3 bets and then playing fit-or-fold post. That said, his definition of 'fit' isn't necessarily the nuts and he had been over-valuing a lot of hands on the river with poor value bets/raises.

I was 3 betting for value therefore.

BU is a reg, knows value of position and always likely to stab at pots where others show weakness. Won't be playing total junk and has even flatted premiums vs me in these sort of spots previously when deepstacked, so although not super weak the range could be fairly wide pre.

I think a cbet makes sense with overs and backdoor draws although not overly happy to see two calls.

Turn brings in both backdoor draws and I think that means I should be much more inclined to barrel here. Vs one oppo I would have, versus two I wussed out. Also considering that if UTG calls flop, they are almost certainly calling turn and may even chuck in a c/r, so not sure I'm ever getting better to fold on turn.

Given outs and ability of BU to bluff these spots I called, turn, although not loving life.

Then Mr fit-or-fold donk shoves river after I hit the 2nd nuts and I really don't love life.  I think I'd have to sigh-call if the pot was heads up as there would be times he's doing this with a weaker flush, possibly even with the straight (although less likely) - either way I know he isn't on a stone cold bluff.  Plus I have someone behind who could quite conceivably have a hand that includes the Ace of Spades and semi-bluffed turn.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
nmongoosez Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £9.97
LB438 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £12.33
  Your hole cards
  • K

UTGRaise  £0.20 £0.35 £14.94
shakinaces Raise  £0.60 £0.95 £23.72
BUCall  £0.60 £1.55 £22.36
nmongoosez Fold     
LB438 Fold     
UTGCall  £0.40 £1.95 £14.54
Flop

UTGCheck     
shakinaces Bet  £1.00 £2.95 £22.72
BUCall  £1.00 £3.95 £21.36
UTGCall  £1.00 £4.95 £13.54
Turn

UTGCheck     
shakinaces Check     
BUBet  £2.48 £7.43 £18.88
UTGCall  £2.48 £9.91 £11.06
shakinaces Call  £2.48 £12.39 £20.24
River

• J

UTGAll-in  £11.06 £23.45 £0.00
shakinaces meh

Comments

• hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited August 2015
    You have the 4th nuts ;)

I have nothing else constructive to add.
  • percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    edited August 2015
    river is a really easy fold, turn is actually quite marginal since a lot of our outs probably aren't good, but I think we just have enough equity to x/c, altho it's gross. I actually like your turn check - 8 bringing the fd is a really good card for both of their calling ranges, a lot of their range improves to 2 pair, straight, flush etc, so it's a card you should be doing a lot of checking on, even with some flushes. 

flop is probably fine but checking to give up seems the best line with a recreational player and a reg with position on us who cold called our 3bet, that's generally quite a strong range so we don't want to be betting too aggressively into him, but like I said, it's probably close.