You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

National Suicide Prevention Week

Sky_DanSky_Dan Member Posts: 589
edited September 2015 in The Rail
A few friends brought this to my attention last night, but apparently it is - as the title suggests - National Suicide Prevention Week.

So I encourage anyone who is struggling with life, work, or simply the thoughts in their own head, to talk to someone. Talk to a friend, talk to a doctor, talk to the Samaritans. But make sure you talk to someone, because it absolutely will help.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Comments

• percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    edited September 2015
    This kind of thing really needs a dedicated week? What has happened to our society? 

I'm not suggesting it shouldn't happen at all - I'm saying it should be such a regular part of any functioning society. 

Can I ask, what's the purpose of the week? Or better, how do we go about helping those feeling suicidal? Is it just an extra push for those who don't want to confront their problems (to do so), or is there something bigger behind it?
  • TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: National Suicide Prevention Week:
    This kind of thing really needs a dedicated week? What has happened to our society?  I'm not suggesting it shouldn't happen at all - I'm saying it should be such a regular part of any functioning society.  Can I ask, what's the purpose of the week? Or better, how do we go about helping those people feeling suicidal? Is it just an extra push for those people who don't want to confront their problems (to do so), or is there something bigger behind it?
    Posted by percival09
    i guess it is to raise awareness.

have to be very careful with raising awareness of suicide though. there are very strict and carefully thought out guidelines on how and when media should cover suicide. its been shown that inappropriate coveage can cause [or more accurately presage] spikes in suicide attempts.

birkenhead about 4-5 years ago had a terrible problem with suicides amongst young men, i'm talking 16-25 year olds. it was a pretty brutal and upsetting time. i knew a couple of the lads - not well- but did know some of the families very well. sad to say that suicide can be infectious amongst groups, communites and friendship circles. it can affect outwardly confident, social and sucessful people.

• percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    edited September 2015
    I see. 

It's quite strange, really. I've seen a couple of posts on Facebook that I'm assuming are part of this prevention week, you know, the "please share this post to show you care about your family" bla bla. 

While the sentiment might be a nice one, I do often wonder why people don't just speak to their relatives face to face and let them genuinely know that they care. It's difficult to create that authenticity when it's just "click share". I feel the same way about other things too, related but not in the same field, birthday cards for example. I make sure nobody wastes their money buying me a card, or any gift, unless they actually want to. It's got to the point now where people have automated decisions that they don't even think 2 seconds about and, to be honest, there's no love, care, or kindness in buying someone a card, (or clicking a button) just because it's their birthday, and I believe the same applies here. 

View:people need to start taking control of their own thoughts, and stop blindly following the norm because everything loses all meaning. 
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,750
    edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: National Suicide Prevention Week:
    I see.  It's quite strange, really. I've seen a couple of posts on Facebook that I'm assuming are part of this prevention week, you know, the "please share this post to show you care about your family" bla bla.  While the sentiment might be a nice one, I do often wonder why people don't just speak to their relatives face to face and let them genuinely know that they care. It's difficult to create that authenticity when it's just "click share". I feel the same way about other things too, related but not in the same field, birthday cards for example. I make sure nobody wastes their money buying me a card, or any gift, unless they actually want to. It's got to the point now where people have automated decisions that they don't even think 2 seconds about and, to be honest, there's no love, care, or kindness in buying someone a card, (or clicking a button) just because it's their birthday, and I believe the same applies here.  View:people need to start taking control of their own thoughts, and stop blindly following the norm because everything loses all meaning. 
    Posted by percival09
    Massive plus to the sentiments above, I have been banging the drum re birthdays, Xmas, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Easter etc etc. if you genuinely care about the recipient show kindness through the year, to give a gift or a simple message of love spontaneously has far more effect imoI guess it's the times we live in re social media and in some cases ( when you are far away fr instance) a simple message to say you are thinking of someone at that time is nice and greatfully received .
  • TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited September 2015
    save the world: click like.

innit.
  • Darkangel7Darkangel7 Member Posts: 2,585
    edited September 2015
    I had a friend who died by suicide. The funniest thing about it was he was fine laughing and joking just an hour before he went and did what he did. Everyone had no inclination about what he was going to do. For a person like that to suicide is beyond comprehension. Some people don't even show signs of stress or depression. I have spent many a sleepless night talking people out of suicide and getting them help even threatening to go down to brighton from sheffield when my daughter was 18 months old to stop someone comitting suicide. Told him If i come down I will find him (I didn't even have his address!)he had 2 choices, to phone a friend and get help and get himself to hospital or if i came down he was for it big time. I stayed on the phone with him till the ambulance came and he got sectioned for 28 days. He is now doing ok, got married and his mental health is good. Song that always reminds me of that is Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol. I have also spent a sleepless night helping out a friend in Australia who's ex was going to come and shoot her. That was another scary night. The only way to prevent suicide is for the people to actually be able to open up. If they don't then you can't help them unfortunately.