You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Video Games

Sky_DanSky_Dan Member Posts: 589
edited October 2015 in The Rail
No, I'm not talking about the Lana Del Rey song. I'm talking about actual video games. 

I am perhaps not the kind of guy that people would (stupidly) label as someone who loves video games. I like being out and about a lot of the time, but not many people know that I could also happily lock myself away in a room for 8 hours and hammer a new release, which I will continue to do for the foreseeable future. I absolutely love them and have done since I was a kid.

I have been getting ripped by Sky Sam for the fact that I've been playing Final Fantasy 7 on my PSP recently. For those of you that don't know this game it's a Japanese RPG that came out over 10 years ago, and for a lot of people my age who had an original Playstation, it was a bit of a game-changer. It was revealed recently that they are remaking this game for the new consoles and I will genuinely have to book some time off work to play this.

The most recent series that I have had the most fun with is undoubtedly Dark Souls. I have put a **** of a lot of time into that game and its sequel. I find the story and lore behind it very interesting, not to mention the fact that it is so refreshing to play a genuinely punishing game that reminds you of the SNES era where everything wasn't so **** linear. 

I played GTA Online a lot when it came out but I've lost a bit of love for that now. I'm definitely having a big retro push at the moment. That will all change when Fallout 4 is released soon as I absolutely love that series. 

So yeah, I just thought that there were probably quite a few poker players who were into video games like me. We can 'geek out' on this thread.

Comments

• waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,062
    edited September 2015
    Fifa 16 was out today. Buying it at the weekend then will prob be spending most of my free time playing that over the next few weeks/mnths.....

• Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited September 2015
    <3 FF7 so much

Weird timing for me to stumble across this thread cos I literally posted this earlier today after my girlfriend surprised me with a present

:D

That's gonna majorly affect my grind volume in the coming weeks!
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,479
    edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Video Games:
    <3 FF7 so much Weird timing for me to stumble across this thread cos I literally posted this earlier today after my girlfriend surprised me with a present http://tinypic.com/r/288w7r4/8 :D That's gonna majorly affect my grind volume in the coming weeks!
    Posted by Lambert180
    Truly great game, and the best in the FF series (runner up is 10). The only game to compare is Shining Force. Enjoy!
  • Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Video Games : Truly great game, and the best in the FF series (runner up is 10). The only game to compare is Shining Force. Enjoy!
    Posted by Essexphil
    A man after my own heart! I also love Shining Force, and I agree FFX is the 2nd best in the series... I must have had 4-5 copies of FF7 over the years that I've bought, completed, thought 'oh i won't play that again', sold it, rebought it etc. Deffo can't sell this one now cos it was a present from the other half.
  • GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,202
    edited September 2015
    and to think i'd given up video games by the time Myst was released
    edited September 2015
    Anybody ever play The Getaway on the PS2? Now that was a game! It took months for me to complete it, really tough.
  • Sky_DanSky_Dan Member Posts: 589
    edited September 2015
    Yep I played that though don't think I finished it.

I still have a real soft spot for platform games but they are few and far between these days. Nintendo are still making absolutely brilliant ones mind you. I haven't got a Wii U yet but I'm considering it.
  • Darkangel7Darkangel7 Member Posts: 2,585
    edited September 2015
    Love FF games, the first one got me through many sleepless nights when my daughter was little, used to spend silly hours on it when she was teething, sometimes till 6 am then continuing on with everything needed to do during the day too.
  • NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited September 2015
    Anybody ever play The Getaway on the PS2? Now that was a game! It took months for me to complete it, really tough.
    Posted by waller02
    "Haaammond! Where are yoooo?" in that warehouse. Superb game - had a brilliant atmosphere. I remember the final mission took me ages to complete. I still have a PS2 and that game. I really fancy setting it up and playing now. I have the original version complete with the British Telecom vans, which (IIRC) got removed after BT complained when they were included in a mission! The one where you go as a phone engineer to the police HQ.

(ps - all the walkthroughs are on Youtube. I even enjoy watching those!)

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited September 2015
    In Response to Video Games:
    I'm definitely having a big retro push at the moment. That will all change when Fallout 4 is released soon as I absolutely love that series.  So yeah, I just thought that there were probably quite a few poker players who were into video games like me. We can 'geek out' on this thread.
    Posted by Sky_Dan
    Love Fallout. Only picked up the series at Fallout 3, but played it to death, including all the DLC add-ons. Las Vegas not so much - IIRC I ended up stranded on that island at the end after completing it, as I ignored the warnings about 'save points' and didn't have one to go back to.

At the moment I'm playing Jet Set Willy: Final Frontier - Amstrad CPC version. Games back then were so much harder haha

edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Video Games : "Haaammond! Where are yoooo?" in that warehouse. Superb game - had a brilliant atmosphere. I remember the final mission took me ages to complete. I still have a PS2 and that game. I really fancy setting it up and playing now. I have the original version complete with the British Telecom vans, which (IIRC) got removed after BT complained when they were included in a mission! The one where you go as a phone engineer to the police HQ. (ps - all the walkthroughs are on Youtube. I even enjoy watching those!)
    Posted by NoseyBonk

Such a tough game eh.

That police HQ mission was insanely hard. I struggled with the gunfight between the triads and the yardies too, kept trying to shoot my way out of it until a mate told me to crouch and hide behind a car, let them kill each other and just shoot the odd one that came in sight.

Don't even get me started on the mansion!

Great game, wish I still had it.
  • HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,179
    edited September 2015
    Used to spend hours playing Res Evil and Tomb Raider......recently revisited them as my son is now surgically grafted to his xbox so if I want to see him at all I need to go into the study (pretty sure this counts as spending 'quality time' with him ;-))

PS4 on horizon for Christmas so may well try playing a few more modern games when it lands.
  • Sky_JPSky_JP Member Posts: 436
    edited October 2015
    I'm attempting to build up a collection of PS1 games.

Most recent purchase was Pandemonium.

£12 for a second hand, 15 year old game.

Worth every penny.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,479
    edited October 2015
    I'm attempting to build up a collection of PS1 games. Most recent purchase was Pandemonium. £12 for a second hand, 15 year old game. Worth every penny.
    Posted by Sky_JP
    FF7 above, and Civilisation 2 are awesome on PS1
    edited October 2015
    There's a very small shop in Leeds, a bit grimey to be honest, like a low-market cash converters. However, it has a great selection of PS1 games, including some pretty rare titles. 

FF7 seems to be a tough game to find. It's certainly on my list. This shop happened to have it in stock on Saturday. 

Couldn't justify £30.

(I've had a few bad experiences on ebay with PS1 games - try and avoid it if at all possible).

Also loved Civilisation, but it feels like one of those games that won't live up to my memories. 

IMO, platform + turn based games can't really be any better than Crash Bandicoot 1 + FF7.
  • Sky_DanSky_Dan Member Posts: 589
    edited October 2015
    Love the Crash Bandicoot series, they had some of the best music.
  • Darkangel7Darkangel7 Member Posts: 2,585
    edited October 2015
    Tekkan!!!! Bring it on! So miss that game
  • TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited October 2015

Unfortunately in the video game world FF7 has caused more problems than any other game.

It was a great game but it has lead to Square(in whatever manifestation) trying and failing to recapture that height. With games getting increasingly worse. But also to the overlookng of other jrpgs. There are some great ones around which have just not been given the love they deserve.

Other ones available on the same consoles as these have been the likes of the wild arms and shadow hearts franchises. Their only crime was to be around at the same time and drawing direct comparisons to the ff series. It is past the time these gems need digging up
    edited October 2015
      Unfortunately in the video game world FF7 has caused more problems than any other game.  It was a great game but it has lead to Square(in whatever manifestation) trying and failing to recapture that height. With games getting increasingly worse. But also to the overlookng of other jrpgs. There are some great ones around which have just not been given the love they deserve.  Other ones available on the same consoles as these have been the likes of the wild arms and shadow hearts franchises. Their only crime was to be around at the same time and drawing direct comparisons to the ff series. It is past the time these gems need digging up
    Posted by Talon
    Plus, anything we buy now for these consoles will at least keep their value, if we treat them right!