You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Ed and mathematics

BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
edited August 2009 in The Sky Poker Tour
Does anyone else think that Ed overdoes the maths a little bit? He uses implied odds as a reason to call almost anything.

Implied odds are just that - implied. They may or may not materialise. All too often, when you hit your draw you don't make a single penny as the opponent won't pay you off. Particularly with flush draws which are often obvious. But every time you don't make it and draw against the immediate odds, you lose your cash.

Comments

• Options
    IAMALLIN2IAMALLIN2 Member Posts: 561
    edited July 2009
    In Response to Ed and mathematics:
    Does anyone else think that Ed overdoes the maths a little bit? He uses implied odds as a reason to call almost anything. Implied odds are just that - implied. They may or may not materialise. All too often, when you hit your draw you don't make a single penny as the opponent won't pay you off. Particularly with flush draws which are often obvious. But every time you don't make it and draw against the immediate odds, you lose your cash.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Goes over my head mainly M8

Like last night, player went all in for 1200, pot now 2100
    Ed said the player had the odds to call as he was getting over 2 and half to 1
    He was adding the 1200 for the call into the total making it 3300
    To me as the 1200 is not in the pot yet i wouldn`t be getting 2-1 on the 2100

Ahhhhhhh my brain hurts
    Gary
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,172
    edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Ed and mathematics:
    In Response to Ed and mathematics :  
     To me as the 1200 is not in the pot yet i wouldn`t be getting 2-1 on the 2100 
    Posted by IAMALLIN2

That's how I see it too.

• Options
    WildDogWildDog Member Posts: 63
    edited July 2009

At least hes enthusiastic  about his maths, so much so that every time he launches into a calculation with voice rising as he goes the players names go out the window and he usually takes bits from each and mixes them lol. Respect Giddzo makes me laugh every time!

• Options
    RichiSwiftRichiSwift Member Posts: 149
    edited July 2009

I enjoy listening to Ed's number crunching, not sure if he is right 100% of the time - maybe 83.33% of the time. ;)

• Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited July 2009
    Would love it if everytime he made a mathematical statement someone checked it and was always wrong... Remember a sketch show in the past with "Dot" from eastenders and her extracts from the bible, and someone would check and she was always wrong....I would actually wet myself if that turned out to be the case!!!

Bless him
  • Options
    BAMBIMOSBAMBIMOS Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2009
    He is wrong  a lot of times, and he often uses the numbers incorrectly quite often!
    I can't watch when he's on it infuriates me immensely!
  • Options
    bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited July 2009
    Oh come on guys, to be fair odds are a part of the game but in my opinion  it's a part  that make up the many pieces of the jigsaw along with other decision's needed to play this game !!
    I think odds come more into play near the end of a tournament but when we are playing online with only maybe
    5-10 secs to make decisions it's the last thing your thinking about.!!
    I must admit the way the analyst's hover and discuss the option's and odds over hands, while they can see all players cards is funny,  ... We don't have that  time luxury, all we have time to do    is work out a bet size ,,
    TK has the right idea when he says,  "All-in or pass, no time for subtleties at this stage" (  luv it)
    I think,   if we were playing live then yes these points are very important, it's easy because you have maybe  2 mins to make decisions to act. What happens here  is,  Ed's explaining the odds and how to come to a percentage call or implied odds value for your holding cards...
    Ultimately  we all had to learn and we are always learning with this game, but it's good entertainment !!
    Top man Ed..
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    73% of statistics are made up anyway...
  • Options
    s_half9s_half9 Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2009
    They have done studies you know, 60% of the time he is right everytime
  • Options
    macallusmacallus Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Ed and mathematics : Goes over my head mainly M8 Like last night, player went all in for 1200, pot now 2100 Ed said the player had the odds to call as he was getting over 2 and half to 1 He was adding the 1200 for the call into the total making it 3300 To me as the 1200 is not in the pot yet i wouldn`t be getting 2-1 on the 2100 Ahhhhhhh my brain hurts Gary
    Posted by IAMALLIN2
    Imagine this:

Heads-up, no SB or BB in this example. Person goes all-in for 3000. If you call 3000 the pot would be 6000.

3000/6000 = 50%

If the SB is 500 and the BB is 1000 and the SB (dealer) goes all-in (the extra 2500) then there would be 4000 in the pot (their 3000 and your BB). If you call the extra 2000 the pot would be 6000.

2000/6000 = 33.3'%

The latter one gives odds of 2/1. If you lose twice (2000+2000 loss from calling, BB doesn't count) and win the other time (4000 profit from what was in the pot), you would break even.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Can`t work out tonights show either
    Book prize for someone who bluffs 3 times, how did he not notice that the guy who won was a mile ahead from the start and never went behind.
    A bluff i thought was winning with the worst or equal hand by betting enough to get them off it.
    CONFUSED.COM 
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited August 2009
    Can`t work out tonights show either Book prize for someone who bluffs 3 times, how did he not notice that the guy who won was a mile ahead from the start and never went behind. A bluff i thought was winning with the worst or equal hand by betting enough to get them off it. CONFUSED.COM 
    Posted by IAMALLIN2
    You are taking the hole cards into account.

The guy who fired 3 barrels wasn't to know that his opponent only had 9 high.

And to the original question yes I think Ed sometimes gets a bit mixed up with the numbers but tbf he does only have a few seconds to think them thru while on air too, much like we do when playing in the Open.

For tournie poker you should just use the basic numbers, and tbf implied odds are to be used very sparingly in a tournie with such a weird structure as the Open.

When you are playing cash and on a site with a decent time bank then other factors come into it...
  • Options
    LukeFullerLukeFuller Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2009
    It confuses me but to be fair he's explaining the knowledge that most great poker players have..... And that we will probably need to become great.

If ya just wanna play for fun then dont listen to him lol.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Ed and mathematics : You are taking the hole cards into account. The guy who fired 3 barrels wasn't to know that his opponent only had 9 high. And to the original question yes I think Ed sometimes gets a bit mixed up with the numbers but tbf he does only have a few seconds to think them thru while on air too, much like we do when playing in the Open. For tournie poker you should just use the basic numbers, and tbf implied odds are to be used very sparingly in a tournie with such a weird structure as the Open. When you are playing cash and on a site with a decent time bank then other factors come into it...
    Posted by scotty77
    I googled the definition on a bluff and found 

BLUFF: A WAGER WITH A HAND THAT IS UNLIKELY TO WIN IF CALLED

Can`t see one that says bluffing with the best hand, which was what happened.

http://www.poker-babes.com/poker/definitions/bluff/

Gary
  • Options
    macallusmacallus Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: Ed and mathematics : I googled the definition on a bluff and found  BLUFF: A WAGER WITH A HAND THAT IS UNLIKELY TO WIN IF CALLED Can`t see one that says bluffing with the best hand, which was what happened. http://www.poker-babes.com/poker/definitions/bluff/ Gary
    Posted by IAMALLIN2
    If I can remember correctly...

Bluffing with Ace-high is unlikely to win if called.