You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

PLO8 DYMs - Top 10 Tips For Beginners

Macacgirl1Macacgirl1 Member Posts: 865
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Written on a train, returning from London after watching England play Kickball!
What a thoroughly ridiculous sport that is. Nice chesseburger though.

Please, please note, I am not an expert. I am not the best, or even amongst the best PLO8 players on Sky. Given the right motivation I'll give anyone a game, but that's a rare day indeed.
When I used to try, I followed pretty much the below guidelines. Even when running on auto-pilot and playing whilst working, or watching a film or chatting away, by following the below I still beat the rake. I've no doubt I would have been more successful playing if I'd followed the below AND paid attention to what others were doing, but winning was never really my 'thing'. I know some people don't believe it, but I am one of those players who 100% genuinely doesn't care if I win or lose.
So, having said that and probably made you think, 'why the **** should we listen to this lunatic' here are my top ten tips for beginners to PLO8. I can guarantee if you're new to the game, by following some of the below, you'll start doing better at the tables.

1. Never play a hand that doesn't contain an Ace.
Ok, obvious situations may dictate otherwise. Level 1 or 2 and you're on the SB holding KKQQ, then join in and limp away.
You're on the BB, need to call half a dozen chips as somebody is all-in, crack on with any old rubbish.
It's a plain simple fact that you have to go a long way down the hand rankings before you find a (starting) hand that doesn't contain an Ace.

2. Make a note as to who the (pre-flop) calling stations are.
There are a lot of them in the PLO8 world. I am 100% convinced that a lot of players will normally fold a hand, until they're raised into. For some reason, when raised into, they then instant call/shove with what they'd normally fold. Whether these people see it as an opportunity to gamble or they simply don't like being raised into, I don't know. I do know, that making a note as to who these players are, will save you a lot of money. There's no point in trying to be creative with calling stations. You can't steal their blinds. I use the colour code for these players. They are red. A quick look at my table position at the beginning of a game and location of 'red' players helped no end.

3. Make a note as to who are the A2xx Limping Crew.
I haven't made notes, I just know them from memory. Some players want to see a flop with A2xx and will do anything to see it. This starts with limping into the pot and ultimately getting them all-in pre-flop if forced to. 90% of the time, 90% of the limping lot are holding A2xx. That's not opinion, it's fact. If the flop comes two high cards, game on, 90% of the time you can take it down.

4. Do not vary your betting patterns.
If you usually pot raise pre-flop, then stick to that. There's no point in pot raising 90% of the time and min raising sometimes when trying to nick the blinds. Any half decent player will soon see what you are up to.

5. Fold AAxx.
Levels 1-5, if a couple of players acting before you are clearly going at it and you're holding AA89 type of hand, it's a snap fold.

6. Forget Holdem.
Just because you're dealt 4 cards which contain two great holdem hands, it doesn't mean you have a great PLO8 hand. Time and time again you will see people getting 'em all-in pre-flop with hands like AKKQ, QQJJ or indeed any 2 pairs. Yet again, it's not my opinion, it's fact, those hands are rubbish. Sure, when they hit they invariably scoop, but they will miss much more often than they hit.

7. Middle cards are a No-No.
As a general rule of thumb, hands which contain 2 (or more) cards of either 5,6,7,8,9 or 10 are rubbish. Yet again, that's not opinion, it's fact.

8. Remember that the nuts is often out there.
To state the obvious, it's a 4 card game. Hands are often multi-way, especially in the early levels. Quite simply, unless it's your intention to rep the nuts, there is not much point in raising somebody if you can't call their re-raise.

9. Stop limping into pots.
There is no hand you hold in PLO8 which warrants limping into a pot during the latter stages of a DYM. If you hold AA23 and you are UTG, I can guarantee that if you limp, you'll probably get one caller along with both blinds. Unless you flop the world, you won't have a clue where you stand against 3 opponents. It's better to take the blinds (providing nobody comes along too of course) than to lose the hand. Only time I'd consider limping with it, would be if everyone had folded and I was SB, with BB being a lunatic. Even then it still often comes back to bite ya bum.

10. Play nice.
It serves absolutely no purpose to get nasty lippy in the chat-box. The people that do, aren't tilting anyone, they're simply burning bridges. I've seen it many, many times that a mouthpiece has been targetted. For example, 4 players left, one of them is away, should be a cash for the 3 left. If one of those 3 is a lippy bleeder, I've seen them played into many many times.

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,320
    edited November 2015

That's brilliant, simply brilliant.

Just to add to this.....

"....It's a plain simple fact that you have to go a long way down the hand rankings before you find a (starting) hand that doesn't contain an Ace...."

Every one of the top 300 hands in PLO8 contains an ace.
  • Options
    GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,202
    edited November 2015
    very nice

except rule #1
    you can go way down the hand rankings and still have +ev even without an A - that's the beauty of hilo
    sure A hands are nice, but to fold everything else is a nit too far
    imho ofc

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Actually I take that back

as a guide for beginners rule #1 is pretty smart additionally in terms of stopping them playing hands that look good but aren't
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYMs - Top 10 Tips For Beginners:
    Actually I take that back as a guide for beginners rule #1 is pretty smart particularly in terms of stopping them playing hands that look good but aren't
    Posted by GELDY
    Ha, I was thinking about what you wrote last night, & it troubled me a bit, so I'm glad you posted again.

In the hands of an experienced player, aware of the nuances of PLO8, yes, we can play a far wider range, & we know a good flop from a bad flop, & so can get away from it if need be. 

For a beginner, though, it's a great piece of advice, imo.

As to non-ace hands being +Ev, in strict theory, I'm not sure many hands are better (as in, will get SOME chips back from the pot), than a good combo hand (both ends) containing an ace. In practice however, it's different, & an experienced player can play plenty of non-ace hands profitably.

I really think that beginners guide by Little Miss Talk A Lot is pretty good. That does not mean to say that players should not try to imitate Geldy-Modes 9 - 23 respectively when the mood takes them. 

Take it as a compliment that I find you a perfect pain to play, as I never quite know what Mode is engaged, & what you might turn up with. Whereas folks know EXACTLY what I'm usually gonna turn up with.   
  • Options
    edited November 2015

One thing I have noticed of late is a trend for certain players - I can name 6, without even thinking too hard - who limp in to every single hand, irrespective of position, number of players left, blinds or stack size.

If you are a newbie, & reading this - don't do it. You WILL lose all your money in the long run.

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    edited November 2015
    Great post Karen but you!ve missed off the strategy of spite calling certain players :-)
    Oh and can you explain what a split is ? X
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYMs - Top 10 Tips For Beginners:
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYMs - Top 10 Tips For Beginners : Ha, I was thinking about what you wrote last night, & it troubled me a bit, so I'm glad you posted again. In the hands of an experienced player, aware of the nuances of PLO8, yes, we can play a far wider range, & we know a good flop from a bad flop, & so can get away from it if need be.  For a beginner, though, it's a great piece of advice, imo. As to non-ace hands being +Ev, in strict theory, I'm not sure many hands are better (as in, will get SOME chips back from the pot), than a good combo hand (both ends) containing an ace. In practice however, it's different, & an experienced player can play plenty of non-ace hands profitably.   I really think that beginners guide by Little Miss Talk A Lot is pretty good. 
    That does not mean to say that players should not try to imitate Geldy-Modes 9 - 23 respectively when the mood takes them. 

Take it as a compliment that I find you a perfect pain to play, as I never quite know what Mode is engaged, & what you might turn up with. Whereas folks know EXACTLY what I'm usually gonna turn up with.   

Posted by Tikay10

i'm pretty sure that beginners should not be engaging in any Geld modes - certainly not 9 or 23 - raising every hand with atc is just as bad as limping if you don't know what you are doing

& i do teeks - one of the few things i do where such a comment can and indeed should be taken as a compliment - tyvm

• Options
    stuarty117stuarty117 Member Posts: 1,395
    edited November 2015
    Tikay gave me a great tip earlier

If he bets i should just fold