You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

How can i stop people fishing??? When the board is constantly rewarding the fish???

jakx85jakx85 Member Posts: 40
edited December 2021 in Strategy
So how can i stop bad play ben rewarded when the bad hands/play are constantlygetting rewarded... I dont think there would be as much bad play/fish if the site was not always rewarding this kind of play!!! now dont get me wrong people can play how thy want (they pay to play) at the end of the day but how can you avoid losing the what really is the best hand when you are getting turned over time and time again by horrible hands hitting with the worst boards??? This is the thing i dont understand how can i be done by so many bad hands and see it constantly, it really doesn't make any sense at all. However i would understand if i was to see it on every site and in live play, but thats the thing i dont i just see it constantly on this site.... Soooo please if anyone has any advice for me that would be great as i really do love this site im just finding hard been pretty much at the losing end when i really dont think my poker is that bad.... many thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and for any help/advice that maybe given.. 

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,723
    edited December 2015

Hi Jakx,

I understand your frustration, & bad hands do sometimes get rewarded, but not, as you state "always".

In the long term, 7-2 will beat Aces about 1 time in 12, and Aces will be beaten by an underpair about 1 time in 5. It's maths, no more, no less. It HAS to happen.

So most of the time, we win with the better hand. Not all though, that's the whole point & attraction of poker. The best hand cannot & does not always win. Read a few of the MTT Diaries here, you'll see that every day.

"I would have had a Final Table stack if my AK had not been outdrawn".... 

Remember one thing when it happens - you WANT these guys to call. You DO.  They'll win 1 time in 5, you'll win 4 times in 5. What's not to like?

And no, it happens on EVERY poker site, & also Live. It's the great fascination of poker. Embrace it, or it will drive you nuts. Nothing in poker is more telling than Variance. But it's a true friend to the better players. 

Best not suggest you play PLO though - we are allowed to "fish" in that, it's the whole idea of the game, "made hand" rarely hold, & the outdraws in that are brutal. I play PLO8 DYM's, 30 per night, & I bet I get my Aces beat 10 times every single night. And of course I win 15 times with them, or whatever. We can even FOLD Aces pre-flop in PLO & PLO8.  Imagine that. ;)    

• Options
    edited December 2015

PS - well done on Tuesday, 3rd of 217 in a BH.

I bet the other 214 all got unlucky at some stage, & I bet you got lucky a few times. It's almost impossible to final table a 200+ runner MTT without some luck along the road.
  • Options
    jakx85jakx85 Member Posts: 40
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: How can i stop people fishing??? When the board is constantly rewarding the fish???:
    PS - well done on Tuesday, 3rd of 217 in a BH. I bet the other 214 all got unlucky at some stage, & I bet you got lucky a few times. It's almost impossible to final table a 200+ runner MTT without some luck along the road.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay thanks for the input.... you are most certainly right in what you said, it doesnt always happen i was maybe wrong to put that, it just seems it happens more often than not at key stages but that is poker i suppose and in a way this is why i do love the game, (you never know with poker).... i just dont know why some hand that are called pre flop all ins with say T4 off and kill you, hands like that i dont understand that sort of play are these players looking to bust??? or to just get really lucky which happens??? then the bad play/players end up busting anyway so its like was there any piont in that move against me in the first place! thanks again Tikay :)
  • Options
    SitemanSiteman Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: How can i stop people fishing??? When the board is constantly rewarding the fish???:
    In Response to Re: How can i stop people fishing??? When the board is constantly rewarding the fish??? : Hi Tikay thanks for the input.... you are most certainly right in what you said, it doesnt always happen i was maybe wrong to put that, it just seems it happens more often than not at key stages but that is poker i suppose and in a way this is why i do love the game, (you never know with poker).... i just dont know why some hand that are called pre flop all ins with say T4 off and kill you, hands like that i dont understand that sort of play are these players looking to bust??? or to just get really lucky which happens??? then the bad play/players end up busting anyway so its like was there any piont in that move against me in the first place! thanks again Tikay :)
    Posted by jakx85

I tottaly agree with you jak. i don't know were he gets his numbers from - but this site is terrible for being out played by the lower hands. if you happen to be in a lucky seat, it doesn't matter what you play with you will win. The hands on this site are urealistic.
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: How can i stop people fishing??? When the board is constantly rewarding the fish??? : I tottaly agree with you jak. i don't know were he gets his numbers from - but this site is terrible for being out played by the lower hands. if you happen to be in a lucky seat, it doesn't matter what you play with you will win. The hands on this site are urealistic.
    Posted by Siteman
    Is it unrealistic everytime someone wins the lottery? Cos that happens all the time and those people defied farrrr bigger odds than a bloke who won a bunch of poker hands where he probably always had a 20/30/40%+ chance of winning.

Hundreds of thousands of hands happen on sky everyday, chances are youre gonna get a fair few people who run amazing everyday
  • Options
    jubbjubb Member Posts: 100
    edited December 2015
    This topic should really be moved to brags beats and variance

Post the hand(s) and you will get the advice, I doubt all of your problems are down to luck though
  • Options
    CATCH-22CATCH-22 Member Posts: 270
    edited December 2015
    We all remember the beats but how many luky runouts do we remember. also calls from seemingly poorer hands can be stack position dependant with the right odds any 2 will do.

• Options
    BigRonnieCBigRonnieC Member Posts: 186
    edited December 2015
    You can't stop other people getting lucky, no more than you can make your own luck... The best you can do is raise and create a table image, where possible. That way your big hands get respect and you can read a flop better, with room left to bluff sometimes.

Only other thing I can say is pay attention to stack sizes, how people play (how loose) and use that information. I prefer to play post flop against really loose players early blinds as I can trap them or shove when fairly sure I have best hand. 

• Options
    Tlaloc666Tlaloc666 Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2015
    Get sky to join the EEC... they are good and ending fishing :)
  • Options
    Darkangel7Darkangel7 Member Posts: 2,585
    edited December 2015
    Buy a bigger rod and tackle :P
  • Options
    rubikmanrubikman Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    Hi, jax I know exactly what you mean I have had so many bad beats by people who shouldn't be in the pot. If you are like me you will only ever fluke a pot with a bad hand when you can check a big blind. E.G. I raised a big blind of 100 to 300 and was called by an 8 3 off, why would anybody call with an 8 3 offsuit? Yet the flop came 333. I had KQ suited and the next two cards on the board were QQ. although THE OTHER GUY BEAT ME I DONT HE PLAYED WELL.
  • Options
    AMYBRAMYBR Member Posts: 3,432
    edited December 2015
    Geez is Tikay still operational?  

Where do they find the spare parts?
  • Options
    BigRonnieCBigRonnieC Member Posts: 186
    edited January 2016
    Hi, jax I know exactly what you mean I have had so many bad beats by people who shouldn't be in the pot. If you are like me you will only ever fluke a pot with a bad hand when you can check a big blind. E.G. I raised a big blind of 100 to 300 and was called by an 8 3 off, why would anybody call with an 8 3 offsuit? Yet the flop came 333. I had KQ suited and the next two cards on the board were QQ. although THE OTHER GUY BEAT ME I DONT HE PLAYED WELL.
    Posted by rubikman

You beat this player 90% of the time - or often - so why complain the odd time you lose. If someone keeps making 10/1 bets with you and you know it is an evens chance, you will profit long term... drag that out to you making a 70%+ right choice and yeah, you often lose, but when you win, you win. C-betting and pre flop raising help greatly to reduce risk of losing like the above. That is just a horrible beat.
  • Options
    DESERTTURKDESERTTURK Member Posts: 143
    edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: How can i stop people fishing??? When the board is constantly rewarding the fish??? : You beat this player 90% of the time - or often - so why complain the odd time you lose. If someone keeps making 10/1 bets with you and you know it is an evens chance, you will profit long term... drag that out to you making a 70%+ right choice and yeah, you often lose, but when you win, you win. C-betting and pre flop raising help greatly to reduce risk of losing like the above. That is just a horrible beat.
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    beat the player 90% of the time what on this site .. wake up and smell the coffee i did!
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: How can i stop people fishing??? When the board is constantly rewarding the fish??? : beat the player 90% of the time what on this site .. wake up and smell the coffee i did!
    Posted by DESERTTURK
    Never having bad beats or outdraws elsewhere? Best hand always holds up?
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,375
    edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: How can i stop people fishing??? When the board is constantly rewarding the fish??? : beat the player 90% of the time what on this site .. wake up and smell the coffee i did!
    Posted by DESERTTURK

Oh, I miss you so much, I really do.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Geez is Tikay still operational?   Where do they find the spare parts?
    Posted by AMYBR
    Just about. The MOT expires this year, so that might be a problem. 

;)

Despite reading these sort of threads for years, they still fascinate me, or, more correctly, the people who complain do.

I saw one refer to Sky's shuffling machine.

A shuffling machine, eh?

Wonder what that looks like?

Over on 2+2, they have a "Poker is rigged" thread, where 2+2 collate all Team Tin Hat stuff. 

It has 79,847 replies, & 3,757,370 Views, probably the biggest thread on that Forum. Now & then, I go take a look at it. It's beyond awesome.   

• Options
    edited January 2016

I should not indulge, I have better things to do, but hey, it's Sunday morning.

Easily my favourite line was this......

"The pause before the river card is dealt is so the software can find the right card"

I mean, that's just gasp-worthy, isn't it?

Some sites have that theatrical river card pause for dramatic effect, but the mind boggles that folks think it would take any longer to "find" any particular card. 
  • Options
    TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited January 2016
    Conspiracy  theorists  are fascinating  humanoids. 

The lack of intellectual rigour, the flimsy reliance on evidence when dicussing the most extraordinary  claims, the primitive displays of rationality, just boss. almost childlike in a dewey-eyed-having-zero-self-awareness-sorta-way. 

Anyone who doesnt buy into their conjecture is, of course, the gullible one.
  • Options
    GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,202
    edited January 2016
    The pause before the river card is dealt is so the software can find the right card" I mean, that's just gasp-worthy.....
    but the mind boggles that folks think it would take any longer to "find" any particular card. 
    Posted by Tikay10

I'm not sure about that, teeks, as the last card algorithm is getting really complex these days, and maybe it's doesn't cache all the background info needed because of memory constraints. Think what it has to do for everyone who is still in the pot on the river:

what are the fair odds for each hand
    who has been playing bad
    who are the fish
    who are in the lucky seats
    who are bots
    who are the big stacks
    who are the regs
    who are the newbies
    who works for SkyPoker 
    who has cashed out recently
    who is about to write to the gambling regulator
    and so on

then it has to work out which card will meet as many of the river requirements as possible. And sometimes there may be two or more players who should be helped to win the hand. So now it will need to look at all the recent river decisions for those two players to make the final decision. 

I don't care how good you say the sky software is, doing that will take some time and we know the software has memory problems which will slow it down further. And why not use the idea of a theatrical pause as a smokescreen for this - just genius.