You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

How Bad Did I Play This Hand

POKERTREVPOKERTREV Member Posts: 9,607
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
Well All-In - All-Out kicked me in the teeth again, and looking back at this hand, did I play it so badly?

troggman Small blind  600.00 600.00 16035.00
POKERTREV Big blind  1200.00 1800.00 22280.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

Dan7Pocket Raise  2400.00 4200.00 20405.00
rossjb14 Fold     
Gorgieboy1 Fold     
Quietman Call  2400.00 6600.00 29207.50
troggman Fold     
POKERTREV Call  1200.00 7800.00 21080.00
Flop

• K

POKERTREV Check     
Dan7Pocket Check     
Quietman Bet  3900.00 11700.00 25307.50
POKERTREV Raise  7800.00 19500.00 13280.00
Dan7Pocket Fold     
Quietman Call  3900.00 23400.00 21407.50
Turn

POKERTREV Bet  1200.00 24600.00 12080.00
Quietman All-in  21407.50 46007.50 0.00
POKERTREV All-in  12080.00 58087.50 0.00
Quietman Unmatched bet  8127.50 49960.00 8127.50
POKERTREV Show
  • A
  • K

Quietman Show
  • J
  • Q

River

• J

Quietman Win Straight to the King 49960.00  58087.50
Well guys I would be grateful if you gave me your thoughts on this hand so I can see where it all went wrong.
Would you have played it any differently?

Comments

• Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited February 2010
    i think its all just too passive. I would prefer to see you raise preflop and bet out on the flop as there are flush and straight draws out there. Your passive play let him get there and then you found yourself in a situation where you could not fold top pair top kicker. So i would like to see more aggression from you.

Also your raise when you check raised was too small. The problem with check raising this flop is what if he checks behind? You do not want to give a free card.
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited February 2010
    all in pre flop
  • Options
    cottladcottlad Member Posts: 439
    edited February 2010
    shove preflop and u take away any tricky decisions... often you pick up the pot right there.... other times you play the pot with a premium hand..... bth outcomes are very acceptable.

As played neither of u are escapig that flop...ul
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2010

When the action gets to you pre flop theres nearly 7k in the pot. U have 22k. Im happy to take this now.

"Im all in" - What happened? U didnt fall out with the button did u?

ESPECIALLY, when he leads into you on the flop - all in all in !

He snaps at that stage obv which isnt SUCH a bad thing, but Im all in pre here In that position. 

DOHH
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: How Bad Did I Play This Hand:
    i think its all just too passive. I would prefer to see you raise preflop and bet out on the flop as there are flush and straight draws out there. Your passive play let him get there and then you found yourself in a situation where you could not fold top pair top kicker. So i would like to see more aggression from you.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Looking back Blackfish, I think maybe you are right, more aggresion pr-flop may have stopped him from fishing the straight on the turn.

What sort of raise would you have suggested pre-flop? and should I have shoved all-in on the flop? 
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: How Bad Did I Play This Hand : Looking back Blackfish, I think maybe you are right, more aggresion pr-flop may have stopped him from fishing the straight on the turn. What sort of raise would you have suggested pre-flop? and should I have shoved all-in on the flop? 
    Posted by POKERTREV
    he had a FD/Gutshot.  on that flop he should have got it in.  no fishing on the flop sir.  he was a very slight favourite.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: How Bad Did I Play This Hand : Looking back Blackfish, I think maybe you are right, more aggresion pr-flop may have stopped him from fishing the straight on the turn. What sort of raise would you have suggested pre-flop? and should I have shoved all-in on the flop? 
    Posted by POKERTREV

All of it, on both occasions! lol
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited February 2010
    oops i forgot to look at the stack sizes v BBs etc... sorry, as others have posted just shove preflop and avoid the difficult decisions with such a strong hand as AK.
    In other situations i personally like to raise 3x the original raiser and then pump it up a little bit extra for the caller.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When the action gets to you pre flop theres nearly 7k in the pot. U have 22k. Im happy to take this now. "Im all in" - What happened? U didnt fall out with the button did u? ESPECIALLY, when he leads into you on the flop - all in all in ! He snaps at that stage obv which isnt SUCH a bad thing, but Im all in pre here In that position.  DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Hi Dohhhh.
    Did I fall out with the button? Well this is what happened prior to this hand.

Firstly I had just been moved onto another table, my first hand I had KK (Shoved all-in) Second Hand I had Trip 8s (Shoved All-In) chat box starts going (I think he's a chancer) third hand I hit pocket aces (Shoved all in) got called and took down the pot. Now the fourth hand is where I hit this AK, I was now thinking surely if I shove again they are gonna be thinking I am bluffing and call me. so I tried to play it a little more conservatively which ended up being my downfall.  
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: How Bad Did I Play This Hand : Hi Dohhhh. Did I fall out with the button? Well this is what happened prior to this hand. Firstly I had just been moved onto another table, my first hand I had KK (Shoved all-in) Second Hand I had Trip 8s (Shoved All-In) chat box starts going (I think he's a chancer) third hand I hit pocket aces (Shoved all in) got called and took down the pot. Now the fourth hand is where I hit this AK, I was now thinking surely if I shove again they are gonna be thinking I am bluffing and call me. so I tried to play it a little more conservatively which ended up being my downfall.  
    Posted by POKERTREV
    All the more reason to jam it pre-flop IMHO. You'll probably get people calling lighter than they normally would but, at the same time, a good player (at this stage they're all pretty good) would probably be thinking along the lines of...

"Fourth all in on the trot? This time he HAS to have the goods, I'll just fold."
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: How Bad Did I Play This Hand : All the more reason to jam it pre-flop IMHO. You'll probably get people calling lighter than they normally would but, at the same time, a good player (at this stage they're all pretty good) would probably be thinking along the lines of... "Fourth all in on the trot? This time he HAS to have the goods, I'll just fold."
    Posted by KnackersYa
    MMMmmm Good Point, I suppose my method of thinking here has let me down. Didn't give much thought to the quality of players at this stage in the game, but your right they were all pretty good at this stage.
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited February 2010
    ul trev we all get it wrong sometimes m8y,

but your still a very good player ,

just look at your stats of late are excellentoooooo  !

mmmm over,

nope out,

d amn it over and out roborover !
  • Options
    Mr_MiyagiMr_Miyagi Member Posts: 2,031
    edited February 2010

I'm no pro and only played a few weeks, but I think you played it all right until he went all in. Then you should have cut your losses and folded.

• Options
    edited February 2010
    ul trev we all get it wrong sometimes m8y, but your still a very good player , just look at your stats of late are excellentoooooo  ! mmmm over, nope out, d amn it over and out roborover !
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    Cheers Irish.
    I am playing much better of late and starting to turn my stats around slowly. Not sure I will ever stop making some of these mistakes, but all the help from you guys is making it a lot easier.

Thanks to everyone.
    Pokertrev (The Suite)
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: How Bad Did I Play This Hand : Cheers Irish. I am playing much better of late and starting to turn my stats around slowly. Not sure I will ever stop making some of these mistakes, but all the help from you guys is making it a lot easier. Thanks to everyone. Pokertrev (The Suite)
    Posted by POKERTREV

You played this hand excellently, if you have an active image then you maywell get awhole load of hands that you have crushed calling your shove, if you've been tight though flatting helps you keep in all the hands you crush. You just got unlucky that he binked on you. 

What you want to think about is what would have happened if you had missed the flop and how you would have continued to different action/a different board texture. If you don't have the stack to play a flop and fold you should definitely move in preflop.

edit you have 11bbs go arrr in preflop. ul.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

KK, set, 88, ......AK???  Wow I'm hitting the all in a.s.a.p! U have such a great image to exploit here. Mind a raise and a flat in front of u wud be worrying.....

but still, they rnt givin u no credit, shovvvveeee

UL bud, live n learn!

DOHH