You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Can someone explain?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,702
edited January 2016 in The Rail

Guess I'm losing touch with modern trends, but can someone explain to me the current fixation with multi exclamation & question marks? Is it something they teach in schools these days?

I'm not criticising, I'm just trying to understand why. Is it that we might miss one, so they think 3 or 4 might be more likely to be seen? 

Sky Poker are bad enough, with needless exclamations marks after so many things - a push message to every table for a £1.20 satellite hardly merits an exclamation mark imo - but when it comes to multi marks, I'm at a complete loss to understand why.

These are thread titles on this Forum in the last week;

"What a quality call!!!"

"what is going on!!!????"

"How can i stop people fishing??? When the board is constantly rewarding the fish???"

"comments on the hand played please???"

"so what does everyone think of this on the villians part???"

"were am i going wrong or am i hoping for 2 much????"

Comments

• Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,491
    edited January 2016
    You've gotten grumpy
  • weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,686
    edited January 2016
    I think it's meant to be sarcastic I don't use  any mainly because I can't find them on the keyboard without my wife's help lol
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,702
    edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can someone explain?:
    You've gotten grumpy
    Posted by Jac35
    Ha, that is also true, though I'm only non-League compared to you. 

But that was not the question, which was genuine.
    edited January 2016
    New leaf for me (on here at least)
    I'll try not to be irritated that for once I gotten too subtle for you
    edited January 2016

Oh, I see. I think. Sort of.

When it comes to subtlety, you need lessons from Plump Percy.
    edited January 2016
    I have the same issues as you have with exclamation marks and question marks with "gotten"
    It's American!!!
    Keep seeing really smart people using it and it's wrong. Well, I hope it's still wrong or I'll look very silly.
    edited January 2016

I don't like gotten, but I understand it, "Americanisms" are quite common, though in Motor Racing, "straightaway" as opposed to "straight" has always puzzled me.

Anyway, two of us seem to be broadly in agreement, that's a whole army right there.

I did get told by a friend's daughter that multi-exclamation marks (well, two, never more) are frequently used in "Jackie""16".  That's OK, don't have a problem with them being used for adolescents, but poker is for grown-ups.  

edited January 2016
    I understand Bonjour but I don't use it when I say goodbye to someone
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,817
    edited January 2016
      One ?   is asking the Question.?   Two is Questioning the Question. ?? 
     Three is typo ???   or nervous twitch.
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,605
    edited January 2016

Here is my take on it....

One exclamation mark is used to emphasize a word/sentence...

EG. The milky bars are on me!

Two exclamation marks are used to highlight the level of surprise in a sentence..

EG. Orford played well on the FT of the roller!!

Three or more exclamation marks are used for shock or total disbelieve in a sentence ....

EG. Orford took down the roller with ease!!!!!!!
    edited January 2016

....and multi question marks?

And the hybrid thing - multi question marks AND multi exclamation marks?
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,605
    edited January 2016

Multi question marks saves you asking the question more than once...

EG. When will this be sorted? When will this be sorted? When will this be sorted? When will this be sorted? When will this be sorted?....

....can easliy be written as, When will this be sorted?????

I have no idea is the long and short of it, but confess to not having much intellect when using the English Language anyway. I know you are not mocking people who suffer from this and are just asking the question. However, there are a lot of folks on forums nowadays that English are not their first language/or have had a poor education.

My bigger gripe is having too many pop-ups!!! Why???!!!  

:)
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,479
    edited January 2016
    ....and multi question marks? And the hybrid thing - multi question marks AND multi exclamation marks?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Not defending them for a 2nd, but chess notation uses them quite well.

! signifies good move; !? signifies interesting (but poss wrong) move
    ?! means dubious move; ? means poor move; ?? means instantly losing/terrible move

On a related topic, I once asked why a judgment in a case ended with ".....", to be told that the Judge had died mid-speech and his false teeth exploded on the back wall of the Court! (just the 1, and used for emphasis)
    edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can someone explain? : Not defending them for a 2nd, but chess notation uses them quite well. ! signifies good move; !? signifies interesting (but poss wrong) move ?! means dubious move; ? means poor move; ?? means instantly losing/terrible move On a related topic, I once asked why a judgment in a case ended with ".....", to be told that the Judge had died mid-speech and his false teeth exploded on the back wall of the Court! (just the 1, and used for emphasis)
    Posted by Essexphil
    Yup, correct Mr Phil, it's part of the annotation system, & everyone who plays Chess knows what they mean.

I'm asking what "????" (or "!!!!" or even "!!!!????" or the rarely sighted "!?!?!?!?") means when posted on a poker Forum.

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,479
    edited January 2016
    In Response to Re: Can someone explain? : Yup, correct Mr Phil, it's part of the annotation system, & everyone who plays Chess knows what they mean. I'm asking what "????" (or "!!!!" or even "!!!!????" or the rarely sighted "!?!?!?!?") means when posted on a poker Forum.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Complete lack of education, normally :)
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,750
    edited January 2016
    I replied to my MD's email once explaining the multi use of exclamation marks was unnecessary, guess it was all downhill for me from then...
  • GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,202
    edited January 2016
    from the worldwide web thingy guide to using the question mark

Multiple question marks

Multiple (often double) question marks are used to demand a correct or true response, or to denote complete disbelief or incredulity at a statement. While they strengthen your question, they also imply you don’t believe what the person has just told you, or that you are getting impatient with that person.

Examples

• Are you sure you’re telling the truth??
    • Is there any chance you could get back to me by tomorrow??
    • WTF???

Question marks with exclamation marks

Question marks can be used in conjunction with exclamation marks/exclamation points too, to convey disbelief, amusement, surprise or annoyance.

Examples

• Did you win the lottery?!
    • What time do you call this?!
    • Did you finish the milk?!
    and compare the three following sentences:

Do I have to finish this report by the end of today?

This is fine, a straightforward question.

Do I have to finish this report by the end of today??

The second question mark here is unnecessary. It conveys disbelief and impatience.

Do I have to finish this report by the end of today?!

This conveys annoyance and petulance, and is definitely not an appropriate tone to take with a work colleague or boss.

given that many of your examples are from impatient, questioning, incredulous, disbelieving and angry or petulant peeps, there is a certain consistency in that usage.

• VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,225
    edited January 2016
    In this modern world of PC's, texting, etc. folks have lost the ability to express themselves with proper words/sentences.

Lazy innit ?!