You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

which is the best poker book???

Marvel7Marvel7 Member Posts: 13
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
We all want to try and improve our game so just a simple question which poker books (tournament or sit and go) do people recommended

Comments

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,653
    edited February 2010
    doyles super systems a good read also playing poker to win by Andrea Shavick and Dan Shavick which i thought was excellent was,nt over complicated.I,ll post top ten mistakes  out of that book shortly for newbies and novices may be of some intrest
  • Options
    CardGeniusCardGenius Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2010
    In Response to which is the best poker book???:
    We all want to try and improve our game so just a simple question which poker books (tournament or sit and go) do people recommended
    Posted by Marvel7
    Good question Marvel I suppose the answer depends on the level of player so for beginners I would recommend "play poker like the pro's" by Phil Hellmuth Jr. its good as it covers PLO and hold em and has a good system for moving up the levels to 2nd level thinking. 

For intermediates I would recommend Phil Gordons "little green book" and "little blue book" its well written and presented and deals well with things such as pot odds and outs in a understandable way.

On the advanced level I think "Ace on the river" by Barry Greenstein is the nuts its not a strategy guide its more of a observation of the world of poker and deals with the pyhcological side of poker and interesting musings and insight into his world and that of poker as a profession, it was originally written to be part of super system 2 but Doyle said he should publish the work as his own book.

PS

I dont feel the need to mention Dan Harrington's books as I am sure they are a firm favorite of many of the community and I am sure the community can give them the credit the deserve!! 

I think it might be nice also to to do a book exchange thing where we could swap books with other if people want to post books they want to read and ones they have??
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited February 2010
    i never got into super system coz of all the different variants.  Harrington on holdem trilogy is a must imo.
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited February 2010
    Personally, I say don't read any of them, the best game you can achieve is your "own game"

have a quick read of my blog on the subject--especially the comments

blogs---may contain nuts---poker books, you avin a larf?
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited February 2010
    If you google 'free super system online' click i think the first link, then follow the link on that page you are lead to Doyles Poker Room where you can read super system 2 for free.
  • Options
    ginge999ginge999 Member Posts: 95
    edited February 2010
    ive heard of a couple of forums that for tourny 'kill everyone' is ment to be good. dont read it in public though you may get some strange looks.
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited February 2010
    Harrington on Holdem Vol 1 and Vol 2 are the basic essentials for Tournament Holdem, as mentioned above.
  • Options
    -Typhoon--Typhoon- Member Posts: 288
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: which is the best poker book???:
    i never got into super system coz of all the different variants.  Harrington on holdem trilogy is a must imo.
    Posted by OMahonyO
    I'm with O, on this   one. There's loads of info in this one, but, it cover loads  of games rather than texas and very little regarding online. Although there's loads of info, i think it may be a bit dated. However is defo worth a read.

• Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: which is the best poker book??? : I'm with O, on this   one. There's loads of info in this one, but, it cover loads  of games rather than texas and very little regarding online. Although there's loads of info, i think it may be a bit dated. However is defo worth a read.
    Posted by -Typhoon-

Harrington on Hold Em both tournaments and cash books are easy to read. Very good books. Theory of Poker by Sklanksy is good too.
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2010
    Have a look at some of the training sites available, this may be a better investment of your money than books. I like books but i've heard good things about the video sites as it's easier to show someone how to do things than tell them :) - just a thought

Chris
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2010
    Aces, what sites wud u reccomend? Are there any free ones?

Im far too impatient to spend hours reading a book. Searched google briefly last week n the ones I found, let me watch 2 minutes, then asked me to sign up. I signed up, then I had to earn so many points. Its so annoying wish theyd just say "PAY TO WATCH".

The ones I found were on pokertube, theyre just user videos, and some are pretty poor.

Any links/directions? Wud appreciate a PM if u cnt write it on here.

Cheerz, DOHH
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Not sure what your allowed to put on here Dohhh as training sites are not direct competition - I'll PM you with the one i've been recomended but it's quite famous so you prob heard of it anyway
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    PM is in your inbox Dohhhhhh
  • Options
    donkeyplopdonkeyplop Member Posts: 3,795
    edited February 2010
    this is a good thread as i was going to ask the same question!

i just cant win at the moment and could do with some tips and advice!!

my losing streak has got so bad ive withdrawn nearly all my winnings before i lose them all!!
  • Options
    sikassikas Member Posts: 857
    edited February 2010
    for tournies/sng's

Kill Everyone - Lee Nelson
    Sit n Go Strategy - Colin Moshman
    Harrington on Holdem

for Cash:

super system 1+2 - Doyle Brunson
    Sklanskys Theory of poker - Davif Sklansky
    Haarington n holdem

• Options
    philmenowphilmenow Member Posts: 617
    edited February 2010
    stephen hawkings books, 'a brief history of poker variance','how to throw money into a poker blackhole' and 'wipe your chin,they sucked out on you again' all excellent reads
  • Options
    emilyeggemilyegg Member Posts: 3,408
    edited February 2010
    Fly Fishing  -  J.R.Hartley
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited February 2010
    I've read lots of poker books and it's a hobby of mine. By far the best is by Saxon Fires of Oswestry. There is great detail and instruction and a special section on companion sets. It's a must-read.
  • Options
    beanehbeaneh Member Posts: 4,079
    edited February 2010
    Aces, what sites wud u reccomend? Are there any free ones? Im far too impatient to spend hours reading a book. Searched google briefly last week n the ones I found, let me watch 2 minutes, then asked me to sign up. I signed up, then I had to earn so many points. Its so annoying wish theyd just say "PAY TO WATCH". The ones I found were on pokertube, theyre just user videos, and some are pretty poor. Any links/directions? Wud appreciate a PM if u cnt write it on here. Cheerz, DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    high light me :-)

psssssst check out 2+2 for a list of user uploaded videos. remember to watch ones applicable to your opponents skill level or you will apply things wrong.