You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Split Pots in Cash games

KevilfishKevilfish Member Posts: 354
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
I decided to play a bit of cash last night, a situation came up that I'd thought about before, but it had never happened to me, before now...

Here's the hand first of all;

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceKevilfishSmall blind £0.02£0.02£4.34player 6Big blind £0.04£0.06£16.02 Your hole cards10J   player 1Call £0.04£0.10£6.60player 2Fold    player 3Call £0.04£0.14£3.70player 4Call £0.04£0.18£10.68KevilfishCall £0.02£0.20£4.32player 6Check    Flop  8Q10   KevilfishBet £0.08£0.28£4.24player 6Fold    player 1Call £0.08£0.36£6.52player 3Call £0.08£0.44£3.62player 4Call £0.08£0.52£10.60Turn  9   KevilfishBet £0.20£0.72£4.04player 1Fold    player 3Raise £0.40£1.12£3.22player 4Call £0.40£1.52£10.20KevilfishCall £0.20£1.72£3.84River  3   KevilfishCheck    player 3Bet £0.07£1.79£3.15player 4Raise £2.32£4.11£7.88KevilfishCall £2.32£6.43£1.52player 3All-in £3.15£9.58£0.00player 4Call £0.90£10.48£6.98KevilfishCall £0.90£11.38£0.62player 3ShowJ9   player 4ShowJ2<td class="hhamt" style="padding-top:7px;padding-right:5px;padding-bottom:7px;padding-left:5px;color:#666666;vertical-align:midd

Comments

• Options
    jakallyjakally Member Posts: 421
    edited February 2010

Best not to say check it down............looks too dodgy, even if you are doing it with the best of intents.
    Most online sites have rake capped, therefore it doesn't usually hurt too much, even at higher stakes.

• Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited February 2010
    I know what you mean kevilfish and ive thought about it myself.  I think at the lower levels, you could just shove and hope they dont know what they are doing and fold the hand. 

At the higher levels, they are more clued up and there would be no need to say check it down coz its prob what they are all thinking anyway
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2010
    Make the point that the nuts is on the board and it's only going to cost rake if someone bets. Your not telling anyone what to do your just stating facts. I don't think any site can get upset about you stating facts (even though they won't want to lose the rake), it's all in the details of how you say it lol
  • Options
    SherlockSherlock Member Posts: 109
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Split Pots in Cash games:
    Make the point that the nuts is on the board and it's only going to cost rake if someone bets. Your not telling anyone what to do your just stating facts. I don't think any site can get upset about you stating facts (even though they won't want to lose the rake), it's all in the details of how you say it lol
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Someone could have pocket JK - which would be the nuts.

All the best
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Split Pots in Cash games : Someone could have pocket JK - which would be the nuts. All the best
    Posted by Sherlock
    In the above example your quite right put the OP asks if you can do it when the nut straight hits
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Split Pots in Cash games : In the above example your quite right put the OP asks if you can do it when the nut straight hits
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    Right you are - sorry, I missed that.

All the best.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Split Pots in Cash games : Right you are - sorry, I missed that. All the best.
    Posted by Sherlock
    I expect more from a man with that name lol, No Probs sherlock
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Split Pots in Cash games : I expect more from a man with that name lol, No Probs sherlock
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    I know! I'm afraid I was on 'the seven percent solution' last night.

All the best
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited February 2010
    Rake is charged at 5% and capped at £1.80 (£1.00 for Heads-Up games) on SkyPoker.
    This means that once a pot has reached £36 no more rake can be applied.

As such, this situation doesn't impact on higher stakes games since the pot will generally already be larger than £36 whenever someone has the nuts, is representing the nuts or is drawing to the nuts.

At lower stakes I don't see a problem with reminding a player that they are only costing themselves money by betting with the nuts on the board. However, SkyPoker may have a different view. Having said that, I have seen inexperienced players fold a hand when the nuts is on the board.
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited February 2010
    is it possible to be more profitable to fold when the nuts on the board rather than calling a river shove and splitting it and losing money due to rake?
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2010

If theres 2 players in an unraised pot, the river makes a royal flush on the board, the blinds are 2p, 4p, so 8pence in the pot. And one guy goes all in for 40 quid. Its more profitable to fold, lol.

In fact, I wud fold, and everyone wud laugh at me for doing so. I know then I've got my table selection right ;)