You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

when do we call time on this great game :-(

sim75sim75 Member Posts: 282
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
hi all
well most people on here know of me or have played along side of me lol
i love this game but its all come to a head i posted on here just before the start of this year for once i had posted  a small profit for the year priar small i do mean small but every penny helps to buy in this year lol
but this year so far ive gone on a bad run of form and last month i have net losses of near £1200 i dont mind putting money on but thats crazy so i have decided that im playing with my cash for points money lol all of £75 which  already im down £50 then if i lose that im done for a while.
ive changed my buy in levels ive changed my games to dym low levels ive changed my game ask tikay lol and im really greatful for all the advice given on here its really helped
 yes ive moaned about the bad beats but ive given a few out as well so no worries there ive not tried to chase losses as you always seem to lose more lol
ive taken some time out lol well gotta work still to pay for these losses  lol i play to my means so thats important so i cant keep up with losses like this so my question is simple when do i call time on the great game

Comments

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2010

Ur a good player,from what Ive seen, who doesn't make many mistakes, so I dnt understand the net losses...

Maybe u were playing above your level to begin with? Rather than starting at NL100, 80 AND 50, u shud have started at NL20,30,40 and worked upwards.

I bet if u decide to 'call time' - it wont last! Its too addictive.lol

Also to earn 75 quid in bonus, u must be playing twice/3 times as much as me, and most, so the losses aren't as 'shocking' as they initially sound. However, it is abit worrying that uve played so much and lost over a period of time.

Maybe step back and analyse ur game, write some notes, see whats going wrong, Im sure u cudnt have lost a grand in bad beats.

DOHH
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited February 2010
    In Response to when do we call time on this great game :-(:
    hi all well most people on here know of me or have played along side of me lol i love this game but its all come to a head i posted on here just before the start of this year for once i had posted  a small profit for the year priar small i do mean small but every penny helps to buy in this year lol but this year so far ive gone on a bad run of form and last month i have net losses of near £1200 i dont mind putting money on but thats crazy so i have decided that im playing with my cash for points money lol all of £75 which  already im down £50 then if i lose that im done for a while. ive changed my buy in levels ive changed my games to dym low levels ive changed my game ask tikay lol and im really greatful for all the advice given on here its really helped  yes ive moaned about the bad beats but ive given a few out as well so no worries there ive not tried to chase losses as you always seem to lose more lol ive taken some time out lol well gotta work still to pay for these losses  lol i play to my means so thats important so i cant keep up with losses like this so my question is simple when do i call time on the great game
    Posted by sim75

I don't think anyone can answer that question for you. It sounds as though you have a grip of the situation sim, and that can only be good.

I've posted on here numerous times regarding just who makes a profit at online poker. At the risk of boring everyone again I'll repeat it. Very few players make money. The vast majority of players lose money and in some cases worrying amounts. We can't all be winners because that's not possible. For every £ won, slightly more than a £ has to be lost. Most players win and lose and the same money is recycled around the site/sites. All the time the amount in circulation is reducing due to the rake, and so cash has to be input by players. Some players lose a lot and a very small number win consistently.

If a pool of 1000 players were asked the question; do you make money at online poker? A large percentage would answer yes. Most of these players are in denial. You are being honest with yourself and sharing that, and that is very big if you. Most would ignore it and eventually go bust. Playing within your means and recognising the facts are the key to enjoying poker. I have seen so many good and capable players go bust simply because they denied their losses. I can remeber posting something along these lines a few years ago and being shouted down by a couple of young guns who bragged about how good they were and how much they won. They haven't been seen around the poker scene for quite some time now. Denial of your losses is fatal.
    Your post is a warning to all and well done you for having the courage to post it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    no dohh
    the bad beats are part of poker like i said i winge about them but i carry on playing after i have calmed down but in oct nov dec last year i played alot of the £5.75 bounty hunters and won 6 in one week alone so i keep playing them now but believe it or not i cant take heads its weird to explain but true its one of two endings for me lately either out first (normal for me lol) or i last and go out on bubble but taken no heads lol.
    ive tried to look at all things possible to improve my game taking notes was a help i use sharkscope not that i understand it lol but i can see from there just how things are on a bad roll for me when i first looked at it my abbilty was around 72 now its 54 lol my profits have gone on what can only be decribed as a avalanche lol 
    i dont think im a bad player and even my boyfriend who plays poker aswell has sat and watched my play (which never helps ) and says i play a very solid game in his eyes but hes only after brownie points lol so like i said may be i was playing outside of my money zone but on dec 29th i had made £200 into £650 so i moved up a level and it all went wrong so went back to grass roots and still on this bad run which i think every player must go through at some time and ive only been playing for a year so may be its just balancing but like i said ive moved away from cash tables only playing small mtts now and small sit and gos lets see if i can turn it around 
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited February 2010
    What levels were you playing to lose £1200?.  If it was nl200 you may have been doing nothing wrong.  If it was nl50, then there is something wrong, unless you have been on a horrendous run.

You say you turned £200 into £650.  What were you playing when you had £200 and what did you move up to at £650.

• Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited February 2010
    You need never call time.

I play to a 5% rule ridgidly. Leave what is left in your acount, or make one final top up, promise yourself that you will never reload and stick to a 5% rule on DYM games or STT, or 2% on cash or MTT.

If you keep dropping your buy in, if your balance drops, then in theory, your cash will last almost indefinately, and in turn, you will find a comfortable profitible level.

Keep plugging away, a profitible player cannot turn into a £1000+ losing player overnight without either a bad run of variance, playing at an unsustainable level, or a dramatic change in your style.

Checking your sharkscope, it was consistantly growing up until about 250 games ago, where you seem to have plummeted, but overall, still showing a nice profit.

Dont let things get you down, ride the storm and start making a profit again.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    cheers hale
    i will ride the storm out for as long as i can ive lowered my stakes almost to zero lol and instead of playing cash ive come away from them so keep them fingers crossed
  • Options
    DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited February 2010
    with £75 u should be playing at the lowest possible level.

-24buyins at NL50 (which is where I see most of your hands being played) is almost certainly due to some big leaks/poor play, especially over this time frame.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    really people i may play the odd game out of reach that i shouldnt have played but other than that ive just been on a rotten run really
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: when do we call time on this great game :-(:
    really people i may play the odd game out of reach that i shouldnt have played but other than that ive just been on a rotten run really
    Posted by sim75
    It might sound daft, but try a few freerolls. Beats don't hurt and a nice solid performance gets your confidence back. Play them properly though 'cos I'll be watching :oP