You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

England v Russia

Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
edited June 2016 in The Football Corner
Nicked from another forum.
On there it's pick the team that Hodgson will play. For example rightly or wrongly, Rooney will play.
I'm going to do it differently. The team and the formation I'd like to see. It's too attacking but where have we got in recent championships playing dull defensive football?

Hart

Walker             Stones         Terry          Shaw

Lallana          Barkley        Ali         Sterling 

Kane           Sturridge

Comments

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    edited March 2016
    check raise all-in :)
  • Options
    bencbenc Member Posts: 1,054
    edited March 2016
    I think we can play expansive attacking football against the poorer teams and not be found out, but against the better teams we will need a holding midfielder to slot in with the cb's to have any chance, a bit like most teams play now where the full backs push high and the midfielder drops in when we are attacking. 

Hart

Walker                    Smalling                    Cahilll                Shaw

Dier

Alli           Henderson

Barkley

Kane                         Sturridge

Think we could do well with this system both cms have engines so can attack/defend/cover out wide, could argue for wilshere in one of them two positions if fit. I would imagine rooney will be in the lineup somewhere so if he played this system probably at the expense of Barkley, is harsh on welbeck as he has arguably been englands best player under hodge but on form the two strikers have to start i think, sterling seems to have regressed a bit but if his on form could easily play the role just off the strikers as well.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    edited March 2016
    I will be upset if Wilshere even goes to the Euros.
    He hasn't kicked a ball all season, but my hunch is that he'll end up going as one of the "names" that the FA like.
    Wouldn't take Rooney either.
    Time for the new breed to show what they can do.
  • Options
    RyanC7RyanC7 Member Posts: 355
    edited March 2016
    Both Spurs full backs for me - both attacking, both consistent all season & Spurs have the best defensive record in the PL this season. 

I've seen quite a few of these now and surprised at how little Vardy appears - straight in for me!

Wilshere walks straight in Sterling's position if fit for me. 

Hart 

Walker        Stones         Smalling        Rose 

Dier
              Sterling                   Ali

Barkley

Kane                Vardy 

• Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    edited March 2016
    no one see the major benefit of having vardy starting? Would love to see him defending from the front!

Would start Kane and Vardy... Sturridge has played / done too little for me.

• Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    edited March 2016
                            hart

Walker     Stones        Smalling      Rose

Dier                

Lallana              Ali                      Sterling

Vardy      Kane
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: England v Russia:
                            hart Walker     Stones        Smalling      Rose                          Dier                 Lallana              Ali                      Sterling                  Vardy      Kane
    Posted by Itsover4u
    No Villa players?
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    edited March 2016
    In the interests of balance maybe we could do the other teams. Wales, the Irelands 
    Hendrick62  might do the Scotland one..
    Oh, wait...
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,146
    edited March 2016
    In the interests of balance maybe we could the other teams. Wales, the Irelands  Hendrick62  might do the Scotland one.. Oh, wait...
    Posted by Jac35

Thought you lot wanted out of Europe anyways.......
  • Options
    gerardirlgerardirl Member Posts: 1,299
    edited March 2016
    Ali and Kane are exciting, should be interesting to see how they do tonight.

Very few teams go to Germany and come away with something, only the big guns, Ireland for eg lol.

Ger
  • Options
    MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
    edited March 2016
    hart
    walker
    stones
    cahill
    rose
    dier
    henderson
    ali
    barkley
    sterling
    kane

barkley and ali will play basically where they want so wanted henderson and dier to protect the back 4
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    edited March 2016
    Interesting that alot think that Stones is one of the best central defenders in the country when he isn't even the best English CD at Everton.

He has the potential to be an England great in a few years.

But if you want a young player still learning when to play and when to clear the ball, who will take forwards on in his own penalty area and gifting the opposition chances, then he is your man.

If you want an experienced player who can tackle, challenge for headers, block shots and clear his lines, EFC have someone better.

But Jagielka isn't linked to one of SKY's favourite teams so he doesn't get the hype.

And as for Wilshire(still being cosidered by some)- overrated, injury prone and unfit- definitely should be in the squad.

CYMRU AM BYTH
  • Options
    MrWh1teMrWh1te Member Posts: 963
    edited March 2016
    I would love to see the 'young guns' go to the Euros.

Too many players play with fear.  Players like Rooney are too scared of the public backlash to play as they have been able to at club level, and his best days are behind him anyway.

Throw in the kids, tell 'em to go for it, run their hearts out and then, shock horror, celebrate that they do so regardless of the result. 

Vardy/Kane must start btw
  • Options
    BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited March 2016

butland

clyne            smalling         jagielka           rose

dier

llanna              rooney       barkley     wellbeck

kane

I would start like this against russia.
    I wouldnt start Ali in the group matches as his tackling is on a par with paul scholes. he has massive potential and it would be stupid to loose him for the next round because of silly bookings.
    Vardy is a great weapon from the bench but not a starter for me.
    jagielka in to organise the defence as  I cant see anouther leader.

also players I wouldnt take   wallcot
                                         wiltshire
                                         oxlaide chamberlain
                                         henderson
                                         milner
                                         sterling
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
    edited March 2016
    As much as i like Vardy i,d also have him on the bench, coming on for last 30 minutes when players are starting to tire. 
    Was well impressed last night - hardly any long balls. Its looking good for the Euros. Just hoping everone can stay fit now
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    edited March 2016
    Just see who appears in the Sponsors commercials to know what the team will be.

Brylcream, Gillette, etc. (other male grooming products are available).

Thinking about i'm not sure Rooney would be suitable for any of the above :-)
  • Options
    jordz16jordz16 Member Posts: 2,253
    edited May 2016
    As a squad has now been named  for the Euros. my line up would be.....

Hart

Clyne
    Smalling
    Cahill
    Bertrand

Dier
    Drinkwater

Rooney
    Alli
    Lallana

Kane

I would play a narrow 4-2-3-1 with the width coming from the wingbacks. Im not overly keen on starting Rooney but i do believe your captain must play so select him for that reason, I also don't rate Lallana that much but he suits international footballer and adds more balance than playing an authordox wide player. Vardy is the key player to come on imo after about 60mins probs for Lallana and go to a more 4-3-3. I think Hodgson has missed a trick by not taking Carroll and Walcott, as we wont beeat Germany/Spain/France by playing our best 11, we would need a very direct plan b and plan c to have a chance. 

• Options
    BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited May 2016
                                        butland          clyne            smalling         jagielka           rose                                     dier            llanna              rooney       barkley     wellbeck                                     kane I would start like this against russia. I wouldnt start Ali in the group matches as his tackling is on a par with paul scholes. he has massive potential and it would be stupid to loose him for the next round because of silly bookings. Vardy is a great weapon from the bench but not a starter for me. jagielka in to organise the defence as  I cant see anouther leader. also players I wouldnt take   wallcot                                      wiltshire                                      oxlaide chamberlain                                      henderson                                      milner                                      sterling
    Posted by BADBOY985
    with butland,jageilka and wellbeck injured. would replace them with hart,cahill and sterling.
    looking at the 26 man squad the 3 i wouldnt take would be. wiltshire (overrated), bertrand (cant see the point of taking 4 fullbacks clyne can play either side) and milner (consistantly average).
  • Options
    F1N63RSF1N63RS Member Posts: 65
    edited May 2016
    Wingless wonders!

Hart 

Clyne    Smalling    Cahill    Rose 

Dier
              Barkley                 Alli

Rooney

Kane                Vardy
  • Options
    F1N63RSF1N63RS Member Posts: 65