You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

did i play this one too strong

weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
edited December 2021 in Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceconorccfcSmall blind 500.00500.008385.00xBig blind 1000.001500.0031497.00 Your hole cardsAJ   666bumpyFold    weecheez1Raise 3000.004500.0040240.00LiAnzacFold    xxCall 3000.007500.0051353.00conorccfcFold    xCall 2000.009500.0029497.00Flop  J88   xCheck    weecheez1Bet 9500.0019000.0030740.00xxRaise 19000.0038000.0032353.00xFold    weecheez1All-in 30740.0068740.000.00xxCall 21240.0089980.0011113.00weecheez1ShowAJ   xxShowJJ   Turn  3   River  2   xxWinFull House, Jacks and 8s89980.00 101093.00

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2016
    the above hand was in the 1000 pound bounty hunter three tables left and i could of laddered up very easily by just folding should i fold when the gentleman reraises
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited April 2016
    You need to think about your sizings. What are you trying to do when you bet.

What hands that you beat will call or in fact raise your flop bet?
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited April 2016
    Hi Cheez,
    Matt is spot on, the biggest thing standing out here is bet sizing.

You have 40 BBs quite deep in this tourney which should get you a bit of play but your sizing isn't allowing you much room to manoeuvre.

The way the hand is played and in a B/H, it is 'possible' the villain could have kj etc (although unlikely) and the pot is so inflated you are left feeling almost committed to the pot and unsure where you are in the hand. I wouldn't think too much about 'laddering up the money', it is fine to be active and maintain an aggressive edge but the sizing needs to be different to allow a bit of dialogue to take place via the betting to give you more information.

I would have opened here for between 2000-2500 (probably around 2200) and the pot size would be around 7,000. Then raise the flop for between 3000-4000 (probably around 3200). So at this point we have shown interest preflop and on the flop but only put in 5400 instead of 12000.

If you are flatted on the flop by 1 player you have options of either checking for pot control and may even be able to draw a small bet from hands like KJ as your check might 'show weakness'. This also underrepresents your hand and makes bets from worse hands more likely. If you are reraised on the flop you again have options of flatting and then folding to continued interest or going with any reads.

Basically you can show the same interest but have much more pot control, options and information. The smaller bet sizing also allows you to even float with complete air in suitable situations with the intention of pouncing on weakness and taking the pot away (with or without a hand) but plenty options to fold with a fair chunk of your stack in place.

Lots more variables I would get into but have to leave for uni in 3 minutes lol

GL @ the tables mate!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: did i play this one too strong:
    You need to think about your sizings. What are you trying to do when you bet. What hands that you beat will call or in fact raise your flop bet?
    Posted by MattBates
    I know matt Its not the first time I just can't shake the brag mentality off I can be best behavior for hours then wham bam cheez is back in the lobby I had been keeping my bets all the same so others could not pick up tells that was 3x BB then reraise the pot for a continuation bet that was fine in the early stages but when the blinds raised I should of cut this down a bit 
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: did i play this one too strong:
    Hi Cheez, Matt is spot on, the biggest thing standing out here is bet sizing. You have 40 BBs quite deep in this tourney which should get you a bit of play but your sizing isn't allowing you much room to manoeuvre. The way the hand is played and in a B/H, it is 'possible' the villain could have kj etc (although unlikely) and the pot is so inflated you are left feeling almost committed to the pot and unsure where you are in the hand. I wouldn't think too much about 'laddering up the money', it is fine to be active and maintain an aggressive edge but the sizing needs to be different to allow a bit of dialogue to take place via the betting to give you more information. I would have opened here for between 2000-2500 (probably around 2200) and the pot size would be around 7,000. Then raise the flop for between 3000-4000 (probably around 3200). So at this point we have shown interest preflop and on the flop but only put in 5400 instead of 12000. If you are flatted on the flop by 1 player you have options of either checking for pot control and may even be able to draw a small bet from hands like KJ as your check might 'show weakness'. This also underrepresents your hand and makes bets from worse hands more likely. If you are reraised on the flop you again have options of flatting and then folding to continued interest or going with any reads. Basically you can show the same interest but have much more pot control, options and information. The smaller bet sizing also allows you to even float with complete air in suitable situations with the intention of pouncing on weakness and taking the pot away (with or without a hand) but plenty options to fold with a fair chunk of your stack in place. Lots more variables I would get into but have to leave for uni in 3 minutes lol GL @ the tables mate!
    Posted by markycash
    Thanks marky will try differance approach today
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited April 2016
    Sizings look a tad erratic. Can raise less pre, no need to smash pot on flop. We have a good hand and a solid flop for us, but when it gets clicked back into 2 opponents after such a large c-bet, alarm bells should start ringing. On this board there are no real draws for a villain to go crazy with and people clicking back are often more nutted than air/marginal holdings.

By betting pot after raising 3x pre, we just force out so many hands that we beat, even KJ might just pass, and only really get action when in bad shape. I'd be concerned by 8x but also sometimes someone will show up with QQ here as well.

Ironically I wouldn't be concerned by JJ and that's exactly what they have :)