You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Playing Poker for a Living

mickgreenmickgreen Member Posts: 99
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
Okay guys following a recent post on how to build my bankroll i am now seeking some other advice. I am looking to start playing poker for a Living, i have a bankroll of £500. I am just looking for advice on how i can get started and maybe make a living from Poker? I recieved some great help last time and hopefully i can recieve some great feedback again.

Thanks guys

Michael 

Comments

• Options
    DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited February 2010
    1. Use BRM
    2. Get Good
    3. ????
    4. Profit!
  • Options
    ChirpyChipChirpyChip Member Posts: 556
    edited February 2010
    Well for a start you need to be stress free and have the ability to go to bed at night after losing a large quantity of your bankroll.... brush it off then wake up fresh and ready to re start lol

• Options
    Mr_MiyagiMr_Miyagi Member Posts: 2,031
    edited February 2010

Download Lady GaGa - Poker Face.

• Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited February 2010
    You need a MUCH biger bankroll that 500, you need to be prepared to sit at a table with 500 therefore you dont want to consider it until you are up to around 10k minimum. My advice would be stick to the day job and just play in the evenings, this way your get your regular income and can still play poker when the tables are at their busiest. There isn't really alot of poker happens in the daytime so your not missing out on alot.
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Playing Poker for a Living:
    Okay guys following a recent post on how to build my bankroll i am now seeking some other advice. I am looking to start playing poker for a Living, i have a bankroll of £500. I am just looking for advice on how i can get started and maybe make a living from Poker? I recieved some great help last time and hopefully i can recieve some great feedback again. Thanks guys Michael 
    Posted by mickgreen
    No way should you even think of doing this with only that bankroll, unless you gonna be very lucky at the start, i mean what sort of living do you want? £200 per week, £500, £1000+, even if you make say £250 every week profit, i reckon there are easier ways without grinding at the tables, and what if you have a downswing, hope you havn't got a family, mortgage etc, loads of stress. Anyway if your sure GL
  • Options
    Penny_LessPenny_Less Member Posts: 234
    edited February 2010
    You may mock, but i've definitely seen an advert before that you can make 300/week for an initial 500 outlay...i assume it was poker related
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing Poker for a Living:
    You may mock, but i've definitely seen an advert before that you can make 300/week for an initial 500 outlay...i assume it was poker related
    Posted by Penny_Less
    Who is mocking? i cant see anyone mocking the OP, people just giving there opinions which was asked for, i havn't seen one sarcastic or flippant remark. The advert you were probably thinking of was the one where you work from home licking envelopes all day lol
  • Options
    Penny_LessPenny_Less Member Posts: 234
    edited February 2010
    If you're sticking to 5% BRM, I suggest moving to Iraq first would be a good start ;-)
  • Options
    jakallyjakally Member Posts: 421
    edited February 2010
    Posted by Penny_Less

Even if you can make £300/week, it's not a great wage, you are not building your bankroll, and are 1 bad session from going broke.

To consider going FT (if you are giving up a job), I think you need :

at least 6 months proven profitability to a level that indicates you can make plenty to live on
    at least 4 - 6 months living expenses separate from your poker roll, to give you the confidence to play your A game consistently
    at least 80 buy ins if you intend to play cash (i.e. £16k if you are playing £1/£2).

GL.

• Options
    mickgreenmickgreen Member Posts: 99
    edited February 2010
    haha im in the RAF lol, spent enough time in that place!?
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing Poker for a Living : Even if you can make £300/week, it's not a great wage, you are not building your bankroll, and are 1 bad session from going broke. To consider going FT (if you are giving up a job), I think you need : at least 6 months proven profitability to a level that indicates you can make plenty to live on at least 4 - 6 months living expenses separate from your poker roll, to give you the confidence to play your A game consistently at least 80 buy ins if you intend to play cash (i.e. £16k if you are playing £1/£2). GL.
    Posted by jakally

wow, thats an eye opener
  • Options
    cottladcottlad Member Posts: 439
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing Poker for a Living : Even if you can make £300/week, it's not a great wage, you are not building your bankroll, and are 1 bad session from going broke. To consider going FT (if you are giving up a job), I think you need : at least 6 months proven profitability to a level that indicates you can make plenty to live on at least 4 - 6 months living expenses separate from your poker roll, to give you the confidence to play your A game consistently at least 80 buy ins if you intend to play cash (i.e. £16k if you are playing £1/£2). GL.
    Posted by jakally

This^^^^^^
    altho 80 buyins is on the very safe side.
    As long as you have living expenses covered i think at least 30 buyins is a good figure.... ofc 80 would be great.
    with £500 you can forget it ........ need at least £8k to even consider having a go.

Oh/,,,, and playing for a living can really suck at times.......  it's a miniscule percentage that make the mega wads... for the rest it's real hard work grinding with a lot of pressure and necessity to succeed.
  • Options
    CowgomooCowgomoo Member Posts: 749
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing Poker for a Living : This^^^^^^ altho 80 buyins is on the very safe side. As long as you have living expenses covered i think at least 30 buyins is a good figure.... ofc 80 would be great. with £500 you can forget it ........ need at least £8k to even consider having a go. Oh/,,,, and playing for a living can really suck at times.......  it's a miniscule percentage that make the mega wads... for the rest it's real hard work grinding with a lot of pressure and necessity to succeed.
    Posted by cottlad
    yeh agree 80 is a bit safe, id suggest at least 50 though
  • Options
    BrownnDogBrownnDog Member Posts: 729
    edited February 2010
    Please think carefully about what you are doing. I've seen the same thing before many times. This could easily end in misery.

Browndog
  • Options
    monkey123monkey123 Member Posts: 590
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Playing Poker for a Living:
    Okay guys following a recent post on how to build my bankroll i am now seeking some other advice. I am looking to start playing poker for a Living, i have a bankroll of £500. I am just looking for advice on how i can get started and maybe make a living from Poker? I recieved some great help last time and hopefully i can recieve some great feedback again. Thanks guys Michael 
    Posted by mickgreen

Hi i agree with the rest first you need to prove u can make a profit monthly before even thinking about going full time !! and at the moment its not happening for you , your stats are like mine and your roi is -16% hope all works out for you tho just be carefull,
    monkey123
  • Options
    edited February 2010

80 BI's is v safe I agree, but if you are giving up a job, and have a decent level of expenses to cover (i.e. not still living with parents) you want the chances of going broke to be minimal.

I have had a 20 BI downswing before - if you only start with 50, and are playing at the lowest level that you can live off, what do you do then? Play scared? 

I know of too many people who have had the dream, not prepared properly, and been forced to quit after a few months.

• Options
    BrownnDogBrownnDog Member Posts: 729
    edited February 2010
    I understand what you mean Jakally. If you are begining at the lowest level that will sustain your lifestyle then you will naturally need a bigger bankroll in terms of BI's, as you will be unable to move down a stake level if you suffer a significant downswing. If, however, you are not playing at the lowest level necessary, but instead playing 2-3 stakes higher then I think 80 BI's to be on the very cautious side. I think 40-60 BI's is a sufficient bankroll level if you are able to move down stakes if you experience a losing streak. Also, when deciding on bankroll managment it is also important to consider your relative skill advantage over the field you will be playing. Naturally if you consider yourself to have a significant edge over the field then you would not have to be as cautiosuly rolled as if the opposite was the case.

Browndog
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I'm just a bankroll nit!

Not many people when they first go FT have a great edge.
    Most people jump to FT at the first opportunity - i.e. when they are making just enough / not quite enough, and are at the lowest sustainable limits.

Many of the people who have to go back to RL jobs, have the poker ability, just not the ability to plan and prepare.

If the risk is low - i.e. you haven't got a current career, and are living at home etc..., then you can take a chance at a much lower starting roll, knowing that if it all goes wrong it's not that big a deal.

• Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited February 2010
    I couldnt even contemplate playing for a living.  Firstly because I am not good enough, secondly, the stress of knowing this is my only income would be too much.

For it not to be scared money for me, I would probably need enough money to withdraw 2k a month for 1 yr without even touching my roll which would hav to be around 50 bi`s.  Never going to happen.

I just cling to the dream of building a small roll that would enable me to satellite in to a major tourney, running like god and taking down a 100k payday and pay off my mortgage. lol gl me.

If I was in a different position, ie younger, living with parents or w/e with no overheads and commitments or career or study sacrifices, then yeah, id give it a go.

gl
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Jakally is not conservative with his BI estimate, for a full-time profession you have to be able to last out the short term swings, which CAN and WILL sometimes be over 50buyins. I have never felt happier playing poker as I did the day I began playing with 100 BI for my stake level, where none of my decisions were influenced by what money I had on the table (which some of you may say does not happen to you... wait until you have played a multitude of 1000-1600bb pots, every grey hair on my youthful head I can account as a missed combo draw or getting set over setted for 6 buyins).