You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

was this fold to tight

weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
edited December 2021 in Strategy
Hand History #1040097245 (20:24 20/05/2016)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceweecheez1Small blind 100.00100.004022.50bbMikeBig blind 200.00300.002715.00 Your hole cardsA77A   tikay1Fold    xRaise 700.001000.001682.50weecheez1Fold    bbMikeFold    xMuck    xWin 500.00 2182.50xReturn 500.000.002682.50

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
    this hand was from a dym earlier because x was first to raise i decided to fold in the end i came 4th and cant help thinking i should of tried to take x out
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited May 2016
    I can see your reasoning for the fold and trying to preserve your stack and let the others go at it and breeze risk free into the payout.

Although I would have to say I think this is a reshove and get the opponent all in for a few reasons...

Firstly you won't be out if you lose the hand and will actually have a stack not all that far off 2 other players. If you lose you can get busy if needs be and will have decent fold equity over 2 other players.

The second is that you can obviously bust the bubble here if you hold.

I would also say that your hand is just so strong, even apart from the aces you have another set to aim for, 2 nut flush draws and low possibilities (I would fold some AA hands such as AATJ non suited for example).

There also isn't any guarantee you will cash if you fold here. If you are folding here then I am guessing you are folding to other preflop raises in the hands following soon after (otherwise as well getting it in here) and the blinds will be going up soon etc. As I know you know it doesn't take long to chip down in these games.

If you had a hand like a3x a4x maybe even some a2x hands and you were folding here due to the pot already being opened with the intention of open raising a wide range in subsequent unopened pots as you can apply pressure to the other 3 on the bubble then I would really really like the play. The AA77 DS is just too strong though IMO.

If there is someone on 600 chips then there would be a stronger case for the fold although in that scenario I would probably flat call 'generally' preflop (and sometimes reraise) and then look to do something postflop. Partly because the pot open and their stack size suggests they are 'getting it in' so the reraise would mean taking a board against ranges with a23x etc. With a 600 stack at the table the original pot opener will slow down a lot of the time after you have called preflop and you can assess the optimal play based on the flop and their action etc.
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited May 2016
    P.S. I forgot to add, this is one of the differences between these and NLHE DYM's.

Your percentage chances of scooping here would probably be comparable to the percentage chances of scooping with like 99, TT maybe JJ in a NLHE game versus someone's pot open range in such a spot and there may be a stronger case in holdem for folding in such a spot as it is win or lose and a chunk of the time you will be down fighting it out after the hand. In the OH8 ones with the win, lose or split we can be slightly more open, not insanely but definitely more so than holdem.

Also the AA77 DS will play quite well against the ranges that are opening and the odds of being scooped will be a bit less than usual due to these ranges.

Definitely not a 'terrible fold', you had solid reasoning behind it but I personally would be repopping in this spot.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    thanks marky the more i think about it the worse it seems to me for the exact reasons you mentioned i think i tend to go into safe mode too often when playing dyms instead of going for the throat i will try to be a little more aggresive when i see the chance
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited May 2016
    From a maths perspective you can use http://propokertools.com/simulations to work out what equity your hand is - how often you will scoop or lose a scoop against a range of hands your opponent may be opening. I had a 15% open for villain and against that range we have 60.7% equity. We will only lose the entire pot 27.3% of the time. To put a comparison to holdem - KK will lose to Ax more often (31.4%)

So yes, we definitely should have gone with the hand. Have a play around with PPT and put in different hands in it and see how they perform against villains opening range - that way, in future, you will have more of an idea about which hands you should be going with in this spot :)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: was this fold to tight:
    From a maths perspective you can use  http://propokertools.com/simulations to work out what equity your hand is - how often you will scoop or lose a scoop against a range of hands your opponent may be opening. I had a 15% open for villain and against that range we have 60.7% equity. We will only lose the entire pot 27.3% of the time. To put a comparison to holdem - KK will lose to Ax more often (31.4%) So yes, we definitely should have gone with the hand. Have a play around with PPT and put in different hands in it and see how they perform against villains opening range - that way, in future, you will have more of an idea about which hands you should be going with in this spot :)
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Thanks I am going to have a play around with this tomorrow and will let you know how I get on 
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: was this fold to tight:
    In Response to Re: was this fold to tight : You leave my throat alone wee.
    Posted by chilling
    Lol I have yet to see you lose a dym your plo8 record must be quite impressive lately I have been getting some decent results in NLH and contributing them to you