You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Books

smilewipersmilewiper Member Posts: 19
edited January 2017 in Strategy
Just wondering if anyone can recromend any books mainly for cash game as that tends to be all i play. Am fairly new to the game least only been playing more often in the past few months. Before that i cringe at how i used to play lol far to many hands and would get blinded by an ace and not much regard for the kicker. Now am alot more aware of playing hands in regards to my position and also getting a feel for whos playing sensible poker and who the fish are on tables. Also able to work out my outs. Want to work more on working out expected value and being able to do the math alot quicker in my head. 

Really just wondered if there is anything worth reading so when ive got the dogs out on a warm day and blown my bankroll i can educate myself lol.

Comments

• liamboi11liamboi11 Member Posts: 2,141
    edited June 2016
    In Response to Books:
    Just wondering if anyone can recromend any books mainly for cash game as that tends to be all i play. Am fairly new to the game least only been playing more often in the past few months. Before that i cringe at how i used to play lol far to many hands and would get blinded by an ace and not much regard for the kicker. Now am alot more aware of playing hands in regards to my position and also getting a feel for whos playing sensible poker and who the fish are on tables. Also able to work out my outs. Want to work more on working out expected value and being able to do the math alot quicker in my head.  Really just wondered if there is anything worth reading so when ive got the dogs out on a warm day and blown my bankroll i can educate myself lol.
    Posted by smilewiper

Hey there bud a while back when i wanted play cash I read the harrington books cash and mtts i`m not saying they are the best books out there but its very easy to understand and will defo give you a better idea how to approach cash games and I honestly feel that they books put me in the righ direction to improve hope this helps.

best of luck

• BarlickerBarlicker Member Posts: 49
    edited June 2016
    In Response to Books:
    Just wondering if anyone can recromend any books mainly for cash game as that tends to be all i play. Am fairly new to the game least only been playing more often in the past few months. Before that i cringe at how i used to play lol far to many hands and would get blinded by an ace and not much regard for the kicker. Now am alot more aware of playing hands in regards to my position and also getting a feel for whos playing sensible poker and who the fish are on tables. Also able to work out my outs. Want to work more on working out expected value and being able to do the math alot quicker in my head.  Really just wondered if there is anything worth reading so when ive got the dogs out on a warm day and blown my bankroll i can educate myself lol.
    Posted by smilewiper
    I don't play cash poker myself , but Harrington on poker is recommended reading . If you watch the Sky videos tutorials that will give you a good pointer  for improving you're  game as well .  Good luck at the tables .
  • smilewipersmilewiper Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2016
    Cheers i will check it out, I am not as bad as i used to be. 100% believe you got to put the hours in and work like anything if you want to improve. Just think the more i read and play hopefully the more i can improve as i honestly have fallen in love with the game. Going to give myself some homework as well as playing and spend an hour a day going over old hands of mine and looking for stuff i feel i should of done different. Really want to improve on being able to work out +ev and -ev quicker. Thanks again
  • 24Caliber24Caliber Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2016
    Hi Smilewiper, 

In case you are still looking for reading material, here is a link to my blog, which has all of my articles on (bottom right for blog archive) and a link to Alex Fitzgerald's articles, they have great content I highly recommend reading them:

Hope they help, let me know what you think! :)
  • stakastaka Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    In Response to Books:
    Posted by smilewiper
    Hey there mate, just wanted to add on to what others have already suggested as far as books go for cash game strat i would go for harrington on holdem and jonathan littles excelling at no limit holdem as they seem to be the best as far as books go and you could also get the auditable versions of these books, What i would like to add is that if your looking to quickly learn poker math ie EV, pot odds, implied odds ect there is loads of free content available on youtube which covers all this in great easy to learn detail.
  • ALTiltYouALTiltYou Member Posts: 174
    edited July 2016
    Harrington are good books, the first one I think is pretty outdated. It's good for learning though, even as an amature most stuff in it you will already know 
  • GWESGWES Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Books:
    Posted by smilewiper
    Hi Smile,

Just started involving myself on the forums myself so not sure how relevant my 2p worth is now, but in context with your previous post Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler may be really relevant to you - good book in Poker and in life in general!

GL

Gwes
  • jimb0d1jimb0d1 Member Posts: 660
    edited January 2017
    I found 'the mental game of poker' very hard going and dry - plus you will know most of the stuff in there if read into sports psychology etc.  Try get it from the library first.

Plenty of good mtt books around (Moormans book and 'Winning one hand at a time' my favourites) but not seen anything great on cash - the forums seem to have better insight.