You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Losing Run Help

monkey123monkey123 Member Posts: 590
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
Hey All

Just after some advice on my continued losing run ........ I have had a month of losing while being ahead in all in situations  !!!! out draws / turn river beats etc etc which is part of poker !!! your hand will not hold every time but i am really struggling to even hold 10% of all ins while being  ahead at the point of  an all in, i have tried everything i have even tried showing my cards after every hand / raise to show people i have the goods so respect me a bit lol !!! it getting to the point that when im getting AA KK QQ ect i am raising and begging no 1 calls just so i take the blinds because i don't wanna get out drawn?   AK VS A9 and they hit the 9 im not blaming any one / site, because im happy the way im betting and im even more happy im getting the calls AA V 55 (even if they do hit the 5 for a set) etc etc im just losing confidence in my play even tho its not really anything im doing wrong (from what i can see) after i lose its business as usual and try to forget about it but its not turned around yet and its playing on my mind . should i just take time out for a bit or carry on and not enjoy it ??

Regards monkey123

Comments

• Options
    donkeyplopdonkeyplop Member Posts: 3,795
    edited February 2010
    ive had a run like this the same as you.

i dont think i have been playing too badly either!

i was getting frustrated so i stopped playing for a few days.

i came back and things have picked up.

still had some bad beats but everyone does i guess.

best advice i had was to play the micro stakes (in my case £1 dym's) just to get some confidence back.
  • Options
    clueless10clueless10 Member Posts: 33
    edited February 2010

If you're not enjoying it don't do it.
    Have a break for a week or so (if you can), you'll find you're refreshed and your enthusiasm will return too. In the meantime, get yourself down the pub, chase women, study train time tables, anything to take your mind off bad beats and poker, etc.

• Options
    WilhelmWilhelm Member Posts: 1,730
    edited February 2010
    It is a fact that the more you get your money in good, the more times you get outdrawn.  I can't remember the last time i won a pot with a big pocket pair.  I'm coming off a couple of bad beats right now.  My advice would be something around the lines of fold preflop.  Other than that, your'e just going to have to grit your teeth and bear it for a while until your luck picks up.  When it does, you'll be playing with confidence again, and you'll probably go on a massive heater.  I'm on a run now when I'm just about breakling even every day.  It's not great, but I know it'll pick up soon.  I guess what I'm saying in a round about way is, hang in there tiger.
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2010
    Had a look at some of your stats, You've cashed in 4 out of 6 DYM's and 2 HU sit n go's out of 2 so your sit n go's seem fine. If your making the right choices you can do nothing but ride out the variance and keep making strong correct decisions, if it starts to affect your choices ???? then i think it's time for a breather to collect yourself and bring back your A game
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Cheers guys dont get me wrong i have been behind few times and still lost lol but most times im ahead so i made the right choices just need it to stick then happy days ;0)
    I dont think i can stop but i can play micro good plan, i  will also try the pub and women chasing in the mean time lol

• Options
    ChirpyChipChirpyChip Member Posts: 556
    edited February 2010
    It happens to everybody mate..... best thing to do is go away for a few days from the tables, clear your head... re-assure yourself you are playing well and not making bad decisions and come back refreshed and ready to plod on again!

Its mere short-term variance.... in the long run, getting your money in ahead you will win most of the time!

gl mate :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Losing Run Help:
    Had a look at some of your stats, You've cashed in 4 out of 6 DYM's and 2 HU sit n go's out of 2 so your sit n go's seem fine. If your making the right choices you can do nothing but ride out the variance and keep making strong correct decisions, if it starts to affect your choices ???? then i think it's time for a breather to collect yourself and bring back your A game
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    I agree this last week i have been playing loose it has affected my decision making !!! its now if u cant beat em join em and try fish ect ect 80(  as u can see i done a all in in cash with kq after flop king low low and got called ace high and bang ace think i will playfor fun very small until my head gets back straight
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited February 2010
    Try using the freerolls to experiment a bit. If you usually raise, try a few limps and vice-versa.

Just use them to mess about a bit, that's what I do when I'm on a bad run.

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,653
    edited February 2010
    three months i went at the begining of last year,took breaks(only a day or two mind)didnt work dropped down to the lowest stakes was even worse eventually lost me roll and sent sky abit of a dirty e-mail give em some codswallop[ about me top hands gettin cracked and how i get more 72s than aks and when i got ak i never hit so i left the site.thing is same happend on my new site lost what bit of money i put in put a bit more in ,lost that so i thought i go back to sky to use me points up at least its free poker and i was getting my fix.won a f/r cashed in a few more so i decided to put a tenner in cuz i felt it was turning abit,lost that but i still felt confident it was turning so i put another tenner in and i,ve not looked back since,sure i,ve had bad runs since but not as bad as that one and my roll can take it.but you know what helped,was reading about VARIANCE on this forum,i never heard of it till the forum started then it all made sense...hope your losing run comes to an end shortly gl...sean
  • Options
    sim75sim75 Member Posts: 282
    edited February 2010
    hi m8
    well sounds like we are in same vote ive lost so much in last few months i lost faith but listen very careful to all the words of wisdom on here helped me i took a break and came back today and im on cloud 9 after winning the £250 bounty hunter so listen to everyones advice and find your a game as poker is a game that confidence is key when u expect to be beat u normally do get beat so may be take a break if only for 24 hrs like me then come back and make the best decisions
    good luck
    simone
  • Options
    AIRWALKERAIRWALKER Member Posts: 680
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Losing Run Help:
    If you're not enjoying it don't do it. Have a break for a week or so (if you can), you'll find you're refreshed and your enthusiasm will return too. In the meantime, get yourself down the pub, chase women, study train time tables, anything to take your mind off bad beats and poker, etc.
    Posted by clueless10
    +1
  • Options
    YIPEEYAPEEYIPEEYAPEE Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2010
    I think it's best if you can to mix up your games, so if your running bad on cash but can't break from poker for a bit, then play stt's or mtt's. Or take a big drop in stakes so beats don't affect you the same way financially, the standard of play will drop, so your more likely to have winning sessions regardless of your top pairs being outdrawn. gl, regards Jac
  • Options
    pryce6pryce6 Member Posts: 1,058
    edited February 2010
    Sometimes the beats just keep coming and theres nothing you can do. I am on one of those runs at the moment where people just keep flopping monsters and you do get to the point of giving up. Just now I raised 4x the BB on the button with JJ in the 9pm guaranteed, limpers calls, flop is 4 2 4 and obviously I get it in and he flips over 4 10. That's just the latest from the last few days :(

GG SIR.

I agree with the others though - taking a break is the best option and try not to let it get on top of you!!
  • Options
    HITMAN_RVHITMAN_RV Member Posts: 8,688
    edited February 2010
    Alright Monkey, had not seen this thread, but we had been chatting about this!! Thanks to everyone for some great advice to my mate, which on taking on board, I know He will turn things around Massive!! Me & Monkey had been playing quit a bit of pub poker with Apple, where we both had great success! I found Sky poker bout a year ago, started playing a bit more reg. last 6 months when I sort of dragged Monkey in to have a look.
    Point is, even tho had great results live & tourneys, when I stated Sky, it took a long while to adjust to site/internet, dont know why. Found results improved after seeking out 'better' tourneys & players, and treated it as a learning apprentiship in running...it cost me a bit.... but good training in all walks of life does!
    Hopefully you will find the same Monkey!! I rate you highly as a player, and have learnt lots from you!! I know when things start rolling for you...the rest of us better watch out!!!

Your Mate
    Dave 'Hitman' Harvey
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,222
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Losing Run Help:
    Hey All Just after some advice on my continued losing run ........ I have had a month of losing while being ahead in all in situations  !!!! out draws / turn river beats etc etc which is part of poker !!! your hand will not hold every time but i am really struggling to even hold 10% of all ins while being  ahead at the point of  an all in, i have tried everything i have even tried showing my cards after every hand / raise to show people i have the goods so respect me a bit lol !!! it getting to the point that when im getting AA KK QQ ect i am raising and begging no 1 calls just so i take the blinds because i don't wanna get out drawn?   AK VS A9 and they hit the 9 im not blaming any one / site, because im happy the way im betting and im even more happy im getting the calls AA V 55 (even if they do hit the 5 for a set) etc etc im just losing confidence in my play even tho its not really anything im doing wrong (from what i can see) after i lose its business as usual and try to forget about it but its not turned around yet and its playing on my mind . should i just take time out for a bit or carry on and not enjoy it ?? Regards monkey123
    Posted by monkey123
    NEVER play poker when you are not enjoying it, every beat stings, & you play worse & worse.

Sometimes a little break does the world of good. There is no reason on earth to play poker when it's not fun. All the "whinge-buckets" you see on here are not enjoying their poker, which makes no sense at all, so a break often freshens you up.

Winning a Tourney helps, too......;)

Nice one, well done.
  • Options
    lJAMESllJAMESl Member Posts: 591
    edited February 2010
    Yeah have a break m8. Its probably the hardest thing to do! But its always the right choice! The games will always be here there's no rush! Have yourself a good time and forget all about poker, focus on the important things in life like being happy and remember its only a game :-D