You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

few more questions

MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
edited August 2016 in Chat with Channing
toughest opponent youhave encountered and why.

longest losing run at poker, same for gambling and do you keep seperate bankrolls?

if you have a long session online do you take breaks if so how often? ( i played other day for 5 hours straight with last 2 hours losing everything i just made due to bad play on my part).

cheers

micky

Comments

• Options
    NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 852
    edited August 2016

Hi Micky,

I'm trying to do these in some sort of order so apologies if you had to wait a bit. The toughest opponent one came up maybe earlier/maybe later but I gave this answer...

Nightmare player is anyone who is great post-flop. I tend to play more post-flop and less pre-flop but the game is often played to a formula before the flop and it's hard for one person to be any better than another at knowing what to shove 15bbs with blind on blind and what to call. People who float and are capable of big river bluffs are always dangerous.

I think some of the really good ones I've played would be Isaac Haxton, Thomas Bichon, Albert Iverson, Lee Markholt and Michael Tureneic. I'm thinking plenty of people here won't have played with those four and may only have heard of one or two...I would always say the good deep-stack cash players are the best.

In terms of time I'm on my longest losing run right now as I'm playing way less live events and I haven't cashed one for over a year...That has been 15 months where I have played only bigger buy-in events including about ten WSOP events, three GUKPTs and two UKPCs without cashing. I'm pretty sure I haven't done too much wrong, keep getting to the business end...the last 20% or so and falling just before the bubble. It's such a small sample although it's frustrating when it's spread over a long period. That is why it's better to play online in lots of ways as the losing runs of 20 tournaments without cashing can be over in two days.

In sports gambling I've had plenty of losing runs that span three months and a couple of times a year. It's very similar to poker in that it changes all the time and you need to think about whether you are still keeping up with the way the trends are going. Sometimes I find something to bet on that other people can't seem to see and I get some value for a while but then it just goes and you have to find something else. I think the key is to just try and be dispassionate and look at each event and ask if you can see value (a price bigger than the chance you think the event has of happening). The obvious difference is with sports bets you never really know if you had a true value one, only experience and feel can help you to sort of know. If you put your money in chasing a flush you can see what odds you were getting and you know how many cards were there to help.

Seperate bankrolls is one people talk about a lot and it obviously makes sense. I think if you had a good job and you made money playing poker on the side and after a long period of keeping stringent records you a were convinced you could make enough to win then I would say work for another year and save like crazy and have a totally different account for poker and living and make sure you have enough for a year's living costs. Most people don't do that though and when I left hospital in 2005 I was very ill, I was "only" in debt £100,000 and I had about £1800 in the world. I started playing poker every day becuase I didn't have enough to make big enough bets in sports to live on and I thought I could get into some soft games and spin up enough. A year later I'd barely taken a day off and playing almost all £3/£3 and £3/£3/£6 pot limit hold-'em and a few tournamnets the max buy-in being the WSOP ones where I sold action I had £100,000 and was debt free. I definitely ran well, the games were way softer and I don't think I could do it now. I wouldn't recommend it. Often times people asked me about bankroll management and I'd say "I think it's massively important to always keep a very firm eye on your bankroll which is why I keep it on the table in front of me at all times".

I don't think that taking a break because you are losing is a good idea as a golden rule. What is important is t IMMEDIATELY stop when you feel yourself going on tilt. If you are in a great game and you get a big amount in with a set on the flop and the gy with one pair makes a flush with a hand he should never have been involved with you definitely do not berate him or even mention the play...you smile to yourself, you think that you did a great job, exactly what you are there to do, you congratulate him as sincerely as you can and you reload and set out to get in the saem position again.

If you feel like you want to kill him and you plan to play every single hand against him because you want revenge then you should probably take a break. I would say that generally 5-hour sessions online are a sign of bad things more often than good things. I would say shorter sessions and more tables so you play much more of your poker when your mind is clear and you are fresh.

Good luck. Thanks for some good questions.

• Options
    MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
    edited August 2016
    thanks for your time and great read. ill defo be taking the advice of playing more for less hours as i get crossed eyed etc looking at screen for to long. ill be doing 2hour sessions from now on but doubling my tables and see how that pans out.

once again thank you 

micky