You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

POKER vs RELATIONSHIP

donkeyplopdonkeyplop Member Posts: 3,795
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
i recently moved in with my girlfriend.

since then its been hard to play at night when she gets back from work!

ive tried getting her into it but she doesnt want to know!!!

its hard to try and play and talk to her at the same time!!!!

just wondered if the players on here that do well are single??

Comments

• Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited February 2010
    well whats the actual problem? Is it just that you cant really talk to her whilst playing, or does she just not like you playing full stop? My girlfriend dont mind me playing when shes around but i dont find it too hard to talk at the same time. Maybe just warn her before you start playing?
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2010

Buy her a desperate housewives box set or something, I mean cmon!!! Its hard enough playing poker without the missus on ya case. What wud she say if u wanted to talk about the footy whilst hollyoaks was on???

Double standards mate, put the foot down!

DOHH
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited February 2010
    try not talking to her when you are not playing poker, after a while she'll get used to it and wont know the difference
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    lol!!

im good at not talking while playing! maybe thats the problem.

she seems ok with me playing at the moment but that wont last im sure!!

maybe i need to compromise and just play when the soaps are on!! (unless im watching the football lol)
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: POKER vs RELATIONSHIP:
    Buy her a desperate housewives box set or something, I mean cmon!!! Its hard enough playing poker without the missus on ya case. What wud she say if u wanted to talk about the footy whilst hollyoaks was on??? Double standards mate, put the foot down! DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Id be well happy if someone bought me a desperate housewives box set!!! love that show! thats a hint btw... PM me if you want my address for postage...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: POKER vs RELATIONSHIP : Id be well happy if someone bought me a desperate housewives box set!!! love that show! thats a hint btw... PM me if you want my address for postage...
    Posted by BlackFish3
    GAY! LOL

on a serious note i just entered the 2k league stars and guess when its on?? VALENTINES night!!!

yet another poker vs relationship situation!! haha
  • Options
    TRIP5TRIP5 Member Posts: 3,618
    edited February 2010
    Ahhhhh, the eternal moral dilemma..to kiss and canoodle or to poker (pun intended obv...lol) that is the question

Well, by my reckoning Plop, if you play poker on Valentines Day, you'll be single by...erm lets think....PANCAKE DAY!!!!!!

Buy your newly cohabiting missus a gym membership for Valentines, then hopefully she'll spend a portion of her evenings there and you can play lovely jubbly, dreamy weamy, chocolate covered POKER!!!

Or feign a migraine or two a week and sneak off to bed with your lappy under your jumper...

Good luck with that :o)

x
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited February 2010
    Ahhhhh, the eternal moral dilemma..to kiss and canoodle or to poker (pun intended obv...lol) that is the question Well, by my reckoning Plop, if you play poker on Valentines Day, you'll be single by...erm lets think.... PANCAKE DAY!!!!!! Buy your newly cohabiting missus a gym membership for Valentines, then hopefully she'll spend a portion of her evenings there and you can play lovely jubbly , dreamy weamy , chocolate covered POKER!!! Or feign a migraine or two a week and sneak off to bed with your lappy under your jumper... Good luck with that :o) x
    Posted by TRIP5
    So on Valentines Day he'll basically be saying "You need to sort yourself out down the gym!" haha

• Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited February 2010
    In Response to POKER vs RELATIONSHIP:
    i recently moved in with my girlfriend. since then its been hard to play at night when she gets back from work! ive tried getting her into it but she doesnt want to know!!! its hard to try and play and talk to her at the same time!!!! just wondered if the players on here that do well are single??
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Oops my post got removed. Guess I overstepped the mark by using an abbreviation for "stop talking" in my humorous post. Of course, it was also highly sexist. Unfortunately, no-one will ever know what advice I gave!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    good advice trip5!!

and seagull id love to know what you said?
  • Options
    -Typhoon--Typhoon- Member Posts: 288
    edited February 2010
    maybe i need to compromise and just play when the soaps are on!! (unless im watching the football lol)
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Thank god for I'm a celebrety, Big Brother, Dancing on Ice, Coronation St, the list is endless. And i'm so glad that "What Katie Did Next" starts tonight. Cant believe she married Alex though!
  • Options
    TVSpiceTVSpice Member Posts: 1,242
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: POKER vs RELATIONSHIP : So on Valentines Day he'll basically be saying "You need to sort yourself out down the gym!" haha
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Mmmmm - that's exactly what I thought when I read that suggestion.  Nice gesture, not necessarily the right night to do it! Ha ha
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited February 2010
    my best strategy is to buy me julee a bottle of champagne every few weeks, and a pair of shoes once a month, then tell her I won the money at poker, she has no problem whatsoever with me playing now, and even positively encourages it
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited February 2010
    good advice trip5!! and seagull id love to know what you said?
    Posted by donkeyplop
    OK. The aceptable version (I hope) is that when I was married and playing poker I used to advise the wife to remain quiet and spend more time practising her culinary skills. Now that I am divorced I dont have that problem to deal with!
  • Options
    -Typhoon--Typhoon- Member Posts: 288
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: POKER vs RELATIONSHIP : OK. The aceptable version (I hope) is that when I was married and playing poker I used to advise the wife to remain quiet and spend more time practising her culinary skills. Now that I am divorced I dont have that problem to deal with!
    Posted by Seagull158
    Priceless, lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: POKER vs RELATIONSHIP : OK. The aceptable version (I hope) is that when I was married and playing poker I used to advise the wife to remain quiet and spend more time practising her culinary skills. Now that I am divorced I dont have that problem to deal with!
    Posted by Seagull158
    hahaha!!!!

it does seem to me by your comments that relationships do get in the way of playing poker!!

now wheres that number for LA fitness..................

ps. why put the leugue stars freeroll on the 14th? or is it always on the 14th of every month??
  • Options
    Mr_MiyagiMr_Miyagi Member Posts: 2,031
    edited February 2010
    this is exactly why I just pay for it.
  • Options
    FlutNushFlutNush Member Posts: 371
    edited February 2010
    Men and women are wired very differently (I'm sure we've all worked this one out). But as opposites attract, this is usually a very good thing. 

So... all we need to do, is to come to terms with it; and then develop strategies to deal with the inevitable compromise – in a mutually beneficial way...

Here's the main problem:

• Men are 'wired' to see flashing or moving lights as entrancing and fascinating. That’s why we love fruit machines. I can't go into a pub where there's a fruit machine anymore, because I'll become so distracted by the flashing lights, that I start to dribble (from the mouth). Don't get me wrong; I don't actually play the infernal things, I just find the movement of the bulbs hypnotic, to the point where I am rendered incapable of social interaction.

• Women on the other hand, are 'wired' to see gems, precious stones and glittery handbags as mesmerizing (that's not sexist by the way; it's just a fact). In contrast, Women see lights as a signal to start a conversation. That's why, as soon as you put a Steven Seagal film on, she'll invariably want to tell you about her day (it's certainly not a protest against Mr. Seagal's unquestionably adept martial arts skills).

Having understood and accepted this, your strategies for coping with this are as follows... when wishing to play poker on a laptop, in the presence of your betrothed:

1. Turn the room lights way up, and the brightness of your monitor right down. This should short-circuit the female thermal imaging system, just long enough for you to bust out of the tournament. Whatever you do, hide the light... that should stop any conversation. In the film Predator, Schwarzenegger had to cover himself in mud to achieve pretty much the same effect, so my way is far cleaner.

2. Construct a big cardboard collar for the surround of your screen... a bit like those daft cones you see on some poor pets heads. This will hide the light that would otherwise alert your partner to the fact that you are about to enjoy yourself 'independently'.

I really should start charging for this advice.

• Options
    edited February 2010
    thanks flutnush thats one quality post!!!!

i might put some of these methods into practice tonight!

only problem tonight is the fact its arsenal liverpool on sky........i guess you cant have it all?
  • Options
    lJAMESllJAMESl Member Posts: 591
    edited February 2010
    Hey mate,

With my Girlfriend I try and keep poker seperate. She is interested in it, but I've never seen the point in getting someone like her involved.. when I spend time with her I don't really wanna talk about poker. I wanna talk about her and life in general and have fun. We have loads of laughs together and never argue (touch wood) I think If I was to start playing poker around her it would probably cause the start of arguments etc. And she might become to hate it if she thought I preferred playing to seeing her!

Have you tried keeping things seperate? Probably alot harder than just said considering you live together!