You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

2 point conversions

cenachavcenachav Member Posts: 2,681
edited November 2016 in Chat with Channing
What is your opinion of the steelers tactic of repeatedly going for 2 point conversions against the cowboys last night?  Do you think it was a vaild tactic that could be repeated?  A case of not trusting their kicker with the new PAT regs? Or was it just, as the commentators seemed to think, a case of chasing their losses after missing the first one?

Many thanks, a frustrated Giants fan

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November 2016
    I was fuming mate, there seemed to be no reason for it and as a spread bettor it was costing me money as when im calculating where i stand on the spread i always assume 7 points for a TD.

Also as a Giants fan it was galling to see the Cowboys getting gifted a lead I mean the Cowboys 8 and 1 like who knew.

On the flip side great win on Monday night 6 and 3 now and wild card opportunities beckon.

Yours in sport
  • Options
    NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 852
    edited November 2016

The correct mathematical decision is to go for two every time IF we believe that the current % of times that people are missing PATs is going to continue, obviously since the length of PATs has got longer. I don't think the coaches have really thought about it enough and they are just always too conservative in terms of going for two, gambling on first down, going for trick plays etc and they always have been long before the PAT rule change.

If your kicker is having a bad run or there is any wind about it's a total no-brainer. Given that the head-coach has so much to think about and that there are a lot of calculations to do and experience needed to know about when to take time-outs, percentage chance of making a field goal from every possible distance etc it amazes me that they don't employ a maths geek and just trust him 100% of the time to be correct in ev terms...obv they just wouldn't trust them and would go for the conservative route wherever they had a game on the line. Some decisions really make you realise these people are basically morons which is amazing when you think about the money involved.

I did note that Tomlin went back to kicking PATs last night.
  • Options
    cenachavcenachav Member Posts: 2,681
    edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: 2 point conversions:
     The correct mathematical decision is to go for two every time IF we believe that the current % of times that people are missing PATs is going to continue, obviously since the length of PATs has got longer. I don't think the coaches have really thought about it enough and they are just always too conservative in terms of going for two, gambling on first down, going for trick plays etc and they always have been long before the PAT rule change.    If your kicker is having a bad run or there is any wind about it's a total no-brainer. Given that the head-coach has so much to think about and that there are a lot of calculations to do and experience needed to know about when to take time-outs, percentage chance of making a field goal from every possible distance etc it amazes me that they don't employ a maths geek and just trust him 100% of the time to be correct in ev terms...obv they just wouldn't trust them and would go for the conservative route wherever they had a game on the line. Some decisions really make you realise these people are basically morons which is amazing when you think about the money involved.  I did note that Tomlin went back to kicking PATs last night.
    Posted by NChanning
    My best mates a Seahawks fan.  He knows all about that!

Is it me or are we seeing an increase in trick plays recently?  Fake spikes, attempted rabona onside kicks, WR passes.  When I used to play, a good few years ago, we had a statue of liberty draw play in the locker.  The QB would drop back to pass as normal, pull his hand back and I would sweep around him taking it from his hand just before he would pretend to throw it.  Worked like a charm.  About 40% of the time anyway.  The other 60% I would run head first into a big DE!