You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Beginners Luck?

SilverdallSilverdall Member Posts: 15
edited February 2017 in Brags, Beats and Variance
My friend reckons he read a book about poker then entered an online tournament with over 1300 entries and beat 80% of the field.

Is this possible?

Was it beginners luck or can an absolute beginner beat so many supposedly more experienced players?

Comments

• Options
    percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    edited December 2016
    Yes, it's possible. It's unlikely but possible. Just like it's unlikely but possible that Phil Ivey would win that tournament. The diff is, howevz, your friend is more unlikely than Phil Ivey because he's a worse player. Fortunately for your friend, poker is a game made up of luck as well as skill, meaning your friend can outcompete Ivey, Negreanu and the rest without having a clue what's going down. 

a) There's no such thing as beginner's luck, just like there's no such thing as intermediate luck or expert luck. There's just luck.

b) Quick learner or not, doesn't really matter.

D) is the most correct of the answers available, but that doesn't really help us out with the point of the thread. 
  • Options
    SilverdallSilverdall Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Beginners Luck?:
    Yes, it's possible. It's unlikely but possible. Just like it's unlikely but possible that Phil Ivey would win that tournament. The diff is, howevz, your friend is more unlikely than Phil Ivey because he's a worse player. Fortunately for your friend, poker is a game made up of luck as well as skill, meaning your friend can outcompete Ivey, Negreanu and the rest without having a clue what's going down.  a) There's no such thing as beginner's luck, just like there's no such thing as intermediate luck or expert luck. There's just luck. b) Quick learner or not, doesn't really matter. D) is the most correct of the answers available, but that doesn't really help us out with the point of the thread. 
    Posted by percival09
    This answer doesn't really make sense. You open by saying it is unlikely but end by saying it is easy.

I have spoken again with my friend and he said he is now in the top 8% in the tournaments he is playing but he reckons there is an incredible amount of luck involved both good and bad.

He reckons it is 20% following a strategy, 20% being disciplned enough to follow the strategy and 60% good or bad fortune. 
  • Options
    camilogcamilog Member Posts: 347
    edited January 2017
    I think its online trying to get him hooked!!
  • Options
    fi33erfi33er Member Posts: 164
    edited February 2017
    its a weird thing online poker.  Over the course of years a better player will win over  a worse player.  Over the course of a tourney or a few months it is not always the case.  Your friend doesn't mention the format or buy in for the tournies. If he is playing the £2.20 tournies he will prob do ok.  If he plays the top end £110 buy in tournies then he will get eaten alive. 

Basically all you can say is good luck to them! Long may it continue.

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Beginners Luck?:
    In Response to Re: Beginners Luck? : This answer doesn't really make sense. You open by saying it is unlikely but end by saying it is easy. I have spoken again with my friend and he said he is now in the top 8% in the tournaments he is playing but he reckons there is an incredible amount of luck involved both good and bad. He reckons it is 20% following a strategy, 20% being disciplned enough to follow the strategy and 60% good or bad fortune. 
    Posted by Silverdall

We need a name  , and we need a name now.