You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sat to the £8k b/h, whats the shove calling ranges here?

mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,268
edited December 2021 in Strategy
This Is a Sat to the £8,000 B/h semi.

Blinds are 600/1200 and it's the bubble
* Notes , BB is a 8K S/S winning Player

Small blind15,000
Big blind*23,000
UTG7,000
BTN9,000

UTG folds, BTN Shoves , sb folds , BB calls.

What a standard range of hands  that the BB will call with here?

Comments

• jdsallstarjdsallstar Member Posts: 1,675
    edited January 2017
    Might struggle to get loads of answers to this because people might not want to give away calling ranges lol

I'll give it a go though and for me depends on how shove happy btn has been and how much of a punter bb is. BB will still have a decent size stack should he lose so he might call any pair, A9+ and maybe QJ+. That would be a little wider than my own range in that situation but I'm hoping not too far off.
  • mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,268
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for your reply and honesty.

Ive probably phrased the whole thing wrong too.

I was hoping / thinking  calling ranges changed due to SPR or effective stack sizes , not on how (in)active Ive been.
  • Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited January 2017
    Well I'm not a reg so not worried about giving away ranges.

with 23k I'd be happy to pass to allins for a few orbits unless I had a premium JJ+ AQs+ AK

The hope has to be that 2 shorties will take each other on soon.

If the button is open jamming every orbit I might loosen up a bit and take a stand especially while if losing I still have a short stack well covered.

• Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited January 2017
    Yeah I'm with Phantom, on the bubble of a satellite if we are the guy with 23k then we really should be winning a seat a huge % of the time, so I would not be calling off with anything short of about AQ+ and TT+. As it is, we are very close to being a lock pretty much but if we lose 9k we are right back in the pack.

We can whittle stacks down nice and slow by taking advantage of the fact people are gonna be scared to stick all their chips in and we can hope 2 other players clash in the mean time, so I don't think we need to take any big risks by widening our calling range here
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited January 2017
    Agree with phantom and lambster. I dont see why we want to make a speculative call. If we are risking their effective stack then I would much rather be open jamming on them and putting them to the test with hands like QJ etc than calling it off with QJ. 
  • jdsallstarjdsallstar Member Posts: 1,675
    edited January 2017
    Just for the record i totally agree too regarding playing a lot tighter a calling range than the hands i suggested here too but I was replying from the side of "what I might expect to get called with here" by joe bloggs in the bb.
  • mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,268
    edited January 2017
    Thank you all for your replies. Really appreciated.

Ive been  taking notes of peoples ranges in these situations and this winning reg calling range is in excess of 40% .

It surprised me, maybe he had notes on me and hes seen my silly historical shoves or something.

Again, thanks all.

• SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    edited January 2017
    Interesting thread. I'm a complete satellite fish, but I think I'm folding almost everything there.