You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

PLO8 BH MTT Hands

2»

Comments

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited February 2017
    I wouldn't just dismiss the repot as just taking a shot with a marginal +EV position.

We are not necessarily committing ourselves to taking a flip, as the open raiser is not pot committed.

We are of equal stack to a number of players so we have fold equity.

There are many players I would expect to raise with much better than 9923 and still fold to a repot.

There is also quite a wide calling range where we are still ahead, especially if the shortie comes along.

Finally there is the upside of being the big stack if we win which is worth more imo in a B/H than in a freezout out this stage of a MTT.

By the way as implied earlier if I was as good and experienced as you or Tikay in these spots I would probably back myself with the call more. I am not saying your line is worse or bad, I am just trying to stick up for my line in the interest of a debate. If my line is clearly worse then I need a rethink, if it is marginally worse or equal then I may still need to play it if I am in a game where I feel I am being outplayed rather than outplaying my opponents post flop. Hope that makes sense?
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: PLO8 BH MTT Hands:
    I am not saying your line is worse or bad, I am just trying to stick up for my line in the interest of a debate.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Yeah and the debate is good :)

In Response to Re: PLO8 BH MTT Hands:
    I wouldn't just dismiss the repot as just taking a shot with a marginal +EV position.
    Posted by Phantom66
    I just mean compared to spots you could sneak into where you may have crept into a pot cheaply in position and flopped big or are in a spot where you can apply pressure and try to pick up uncontested chips.

In Response to Re: PLO8 BH MTT Hands:
    We are not necessarily committing ourselves to taking a flip, as the open raiser is not pot committed. 
    Posted by Phantom66
    Agreed that in theory they could fold. Going by the info available to us though it doesn't look likely they will fold. With a limper in EP the player has smashed the pot button, it doesn't look like he is going after pot control. If they had standard opened I think there is more chance he folds to a 3bet. In this instance the message they seem to be conveying is that 'I want the bounty and I am going nowhere'. So while they certainly could fold, I think the working assumption would have to be that they are calling and we therefore have no fold equity.

It is good to have different points of view, makes for interesting debate and highlights the complexities of OH8 :) I am certain plenty of highly profitable high stakes players would 3bet in this spot. While it may be profitable though, it might not be the most profitable line to take in the medium/long term IMO.
  • Options
    WhizzewkyWhizzewky Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: PLO8 BH MTT Hands : Hi Whizzy, even though it's a top PLO8 hand it's still effectively a flip against an awful lot of hands that call me, even holdem type hands. As it transpired the covering stack 'should' probably have folded his cards if I repotted but absolutely no guarantee of that. I felt I had a bit of an edge, enough to not want to flip at that stage. Well done last night by the way, where did you finish?
    Posted by Enut
    I love reading indepth analysis of these type of hands...i have a reasonable ability to understand the odds of my holdings.I would be happy in this case with all outcomes.If we sit at a table all night wondering what other players may have i guess the outcome is our chips dwindle away until we are shoving with 'AIR' in latter stages.I would be gutted if i had your hand and lost,but if i scooped and got a bounty,i could then sit back and control the table.I think you have played most of these and made a tidy profit and will continue to do so..i hope a few bad beats won't change your game too much as it's about as good as it gets!
    Typical example last night,i finished 2nd (£40 profit)Winner and 3rd run golden,only understanding of the game is how to get their chips into the middle as quick as possible...I don't dwell on it,i just make my notes and hope they are on my table tonight..:)
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,278
    edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: PLO8 BH MTT Hands : I love reading indepth analysis of these type of hands...i have a reasonable ability to understand the odds of my holdings.I would be happy in this case with all outcomes.If we sit at a table all night wondering what other players may have i guess the outcome is our chips dwindle away until we are shoving with 'AIR' in latter stages.I would be gutted if i had your hand and lost,but if i scooped and got a bounty,i could then sit back and control the table.I think you have played most of these and made a tidy profit and will continue to do so..i hope a few bad beats won't change your game too much as it's about as good as it gets! Typical example last night,i finished 2nd (£40 profit)Winner and 3rd run golden,only understanding of the game is how to get their chips into the middle as quick as possible...I don't dwell on it,i just make my notes and hope they are on my table tonight..:)
    Posted by Whizzewky
    That's a very nice comment, thank you. I have played some but certainly not most of them, had a couple of wins too so can't complain.

Your second was a great result, especially as you were a card from going out in 5th I think until you spiked one of the two remaining 7s! I didn't even mind that until you went and knocked me out!

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,149
    edited February 2017
    interesting thread.

Something to think about if we flat here with a player still to act.

We have bloated the pot enough to actually allow him to come over the top and pot it with real FE, and that could be a very exploitative play. He doesn't even need to be super strong if he can force folds and have a chance of a head plus the side pot
  • Options
    suzy666suzy666 Member Posts: 221
    edited February 2017
    interesting thread. Something to think about if we flat here with a player still to act. We have bloated the pot enough to actually allow him to come over the top and pot it with real FE, and that could be a very exploitative play. He doesn't even need to be super strong if he can force folds and have a chance of a head plus the side pot
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    I've thought about this a few times now.

It probably doesn't matter too much how you play it, but if your thinking about it then try and get more reads.

initially your instant read is player is going for the bounty-go with that and 3!
    Is the 4x opener someone who folds or opens wide or aggr when it suits them (ie now), is your 3! image clean (ie not someone who always repot A2Q, AQ3 etc), you should get away with it.

you don't want to only 3! AA2 and AA3, but also don't want to 3! with A24Q everytime either.

As for the flop, I think its a call if it were near the end IMO, or early versus someone I'd like to knock out who may be OOL.
    vs a donk I'd fold cos they have the 3 and you have 20BB, plenty to aquire more chips with if there's still plenty of bad players.

I was the SB and quadrupled up so many thanks!