You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

final table advice please

fi33erfi33er Member Posts: 164
edited March 2017 in The Poker Clinic
HI guys, 
I am trying hard to get to vegas and marry my mrs, i keep failing in the quarter finals.  Had lots of deep runs, a 6th and a 5th place bubble tonight.

Can anyone give me some advice on this situation please, i keep thinking i might have played it wrong....

5 left on table, 4 get tickets.  I am sat with the massive chip leader on my left.  I just won a round with a shove, no callers i had qq.  I am now 4th out of 5 left. I'm first to go and look down ak os.

I have notes on some of the other 4 players, 2 massive winning regs, the big stack i have no notes but he has 5 times my stack. shortest stack no notes on him.

I shoved my ak, big stack calls with kk, I'm out.

I had 6k, blinds were 600 and 400, short stack had 5k.
I know that the other players are going to be shoving in to me every blind, so i felt if i win with no show i will outlast the short stack. If i get a call i will have the best hand most of the time or a flip at worst.
Any advice is appreciated, thanks a lot
merlin

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,113
    edited March 2017
    In Response to final table advice please:
    HI guys,  I am trying hard to get to vegas and marry my mrs, i keep failing in the quarter finals.  Had lots of deep runs, a 6th and a 5th place bubble tonight. Can anyone give me some advice on this situation please, i keep thinking i might have played it wrong.... 5 left on table, 4 get tickets.  I am sat with the massive chip leader on my left.  I just won a round with a shove, no callers i had qq.  I am now 4th out of 5 left. I'm first to go and look down ak os. I have notes on some of the other 4 players, 2 massive winning regs, the big stack i have no notes but he has 5 times my stack. shortest stack no notes on him. I shoved my ak, big stack calls with kk, I'm out. I had 6k, blinds were 600 and 400, short stack had 5k. I know that the other players are going to be shoving in to me every blind, so i felt if i win with no show i will outlast the short stack. If i get a call i will have the best hand most of the time or a flip at worst. Any advice is appreciated, thanks a lot merlin
    Posted by fi33er
    Can't say for sure what is objectively the best play. However, I can say that I would have played it exactly the same as you there-unlucky

Phil
  • Options
    mattprawnmattprawn Member Posts: 632
    edited March 2017
    Hi Fi33er

Unlucky tonight.  Sure you'll get there if you keep playing as you are.

I'm with Phil on this, would almost certainly have played it as you did.  Most players on the table knew what they were doing and other than the big stack were only calling your shove with super-premium hands.  Even then you might get a fold from the KK.  You're in decent shape with AK against anything other than AA, so I think you play it as you did.

Only downside for your play, is your position.  Playing early and having the super big stack to your left leaves you exposed to getting called, but hey you're going to have to play a few hands over the next round or two, so can you expect a better spot than this?

Fwiw, I tend to think not to think of these satellites as a single game, rather a series of 5 chances to qualify.  You qualify on the 5th attempt then you're break even.  Any sooner then you're up.  If you think that way it helps with playing the odds, I find.

Best of luck

Matt
  • Options
    grantorinograntorino Member Posts: 4,710
    edited March 2017
    nh ul gg
  • Options
    fi33erfi33er Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2017
    Thanks guy for the feedback, it sure has helped me feel a bit better. Onwards and upwards!