You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Grand National

Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
edited April 2017 in Chat with Channing
I've heard loads of 'proper' gamblers say that it's a terrible race to bet on (from the POV of trying to be profitable). When I was younger, it was the only bit of punting I ever did, cos I lived literally a stone's throw from the Aintree racecourse.

IYO Neil is it too much of a lottery or can you still find decent value? I know it's harder to get great value this close to the race when the prices have come in but have you got any tips?

Comments

• Options
    Goody_AceGoody_Ace Member Posts: 206
    edited April 2017
    If you look back over the last 15 years you will see that the winner comes from the first ten in the betting.
    It's actually rare for a rank outsider to win, it just seems so.
    It's since they made the course softer.

Treat it as a ten horse race and with luck you might get a decent return.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The winner will almost certainly come from one of these

Vieux Lion Rouge 10
    Definitly Red 11
    Cause Of Causes 12
    Blaklion
    More Of That 12
    One For Arthur 14
    The Last Samuri 14
    Pleasant Company 16
    Ucello Conti
    Saphir Du Rheu 20
    The Young Master 20
  • Options
    FCHDFCHD Member Posts: 3,178
    edited April 2017
    In Response to Re: The Grand National:
    If you look back over the last 15 years you will see that the winner comes from the first ten in the betting. It's actually rare for a rank outsider to win, it just seems so. It's since they made the course softer. Treat it as a ten horse race and with luck you might get a decent return.
    Posted by Goody_Ace

Yet if you look at just the last five winners, not one of them has gone off at less than 25-1, not one of them in the first ten in the betting.

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited April 2017
    In Response to The Grand National:
    I've heard loads of 'proper' gamblers say that it's a terrible race to bet on (from the POV of trying to be profitable). When I was younger, it was the only bit of punting I ever did, cos I lived literally a stone's throw from the Aintree racecourse. IYO Neil is it too much of a lottery or can you still find decent value? I know it's harder to get great value this close to the race when the prices have come in but have you got any tips
    Posted by Lambert180
    I knew someone who was the same, he lived near the Old Roan pub where we met up pre National one year. He also used a bit of "local knowledge" to access the course but I had better say no more on that.

It was generally the only horse betting I did - for pennies with my Grandad originally, getting into the whole scene a bit more this year.

Ante-Post I am on Vicente and Perfect Candidate at 25s and 50s NRNB and 5 places (so I hope Goody Ace is wrong).

I'll be waiting on final declarations and bookie offers before adding to that.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I have 'local knowledge' of Pontefract flat racecourse.
    In all these years they have never fastened down that wire fencing grid between fence posts in one area.

And incedentally, once while gaining access through this method I paid to upgrade to the gold ring
    and while nipping across I didn't see that the horses were coming out for the next race.

The first I knew was,  a horse's head was in my face and I jumped a mile screamed and pushed it's head away.
    The jockey was laughing - it must have been funny from his viewpoint - and that jockey was Lester Piggott.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I refer you to my earlier post. :D 
  • Options
    NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 852
    edited April 2017

I didn't answer this before the race as it was always going to be awkward if people started nagging me for as tip given I write stuff for the tipping site and we charge for that.

It's true that the National has become more wide-open in recent years and the prices of the winners have got a lot bigger. We are talking tiny sample-size though and I think it's wrong to say, as Tom Segal has, that the race is impossible to predict. It sort of amuses me that The Masters, which is on in the same week, has 94 runners, (30 who can't really win), and people go crazy about the eight places, (an outstanding offer and clearly a loss-leader from Sky Bet), but they aren't so excited by the 6 places that some firms offer in the 40-runner Grand National.

I think they are both great.

Having said all that I had four bets and only managed a place on the second to smallest one, although it was a decent price.

Definitely you get better value in a lot of 16-runner four place races but the National is still worth doing.