You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

CASH DEFINITION - BIG BETS PER HOUR

THESWISSTHESWISS Member Posts: 238
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat

I really should know the answer to this but i don't.

In cash why are players win rates described by big bets per hour?

I use tracking software and i normally just look at how many big blinds i win per hour which makes more sense and is a clear measure of sucess or failure.

I think a big bet is defined as 2 x the big blind. But why do people use it instead of big blinds per hr?

Also what is a good win rate for an average player and a pro player, obviously the limits effects this.

I normally assume that 5 big blinds per hr is a good average win rate at low stakes but is this the case.

Cheers

Ed

Comments

• Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited February 2010
    a win rate is a good win rate per hour--hope this helps
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited February 2010
    I think when pokertracker was invented, it was primarily for limit poker.  So on the turn and river in limit poker, the bet is double the big blind.  I think it has just stuck.  I do agree with you though.  Big blinds per hour is easier to understand.

Also, a winrate is usually described in bb/100 hands, rather than bb/hr.  So, 5bb/hr probably works out around 7 or 8 bb/100 hands, which then works out as 3.5-4 big bets or ptbb/100hands.

This winrate may be good at bigger stakes but I dont think its considered too good at the micros.

I am not 100% sure about all this so others feel free to tear it apart.
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited February 2010
    yeah its just cos limit used to be more popular i think so people used big bets. I think most people use bb/100 now tho instead of ptbb/100.

its not a very useful stat anyway as its prob never a true reflection of your actual winrate until youve played a bajillion hands. The only thing that matters is if youre winning.
  • Options
    THESWISSTHESWISS Member Posts: 238
    edited February 2010
    Cheers guys, thanks for the detailed answers.

That just leaves the question what is a decent win rate for low and medium stakes?

Ie £25, £50 & £100 stakes

Answers in Big Blinds per hour please

I'm guessing 5 but i may be wrong.