You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Taking Shots in Bigger Games

WilhelmWilhelm Member Posts: 1,730
edited August 2017 in Chat with Channing
Hi Neil

I've recently started taking shots at live cash games on Friday nights when I suspect the games will be softest.  While I am technically bankrolled for the limit I'm playing at, because it is larger than that which I usually play online, I'm not as comfortable in the game and try to avoide marginal situations, which I feel is costing me value.

It occurred to me that when there's a good big game going in London you probably find yourself in the same situation of playing at larger stakes than your bread and butter Vic games.  How do you adjust to the greater exposure you face in these bigger games which only come around every so often?  Does it just come down to experience?

I'm a big fan by the way.

Thanks

Will

Comments

• Options
    chiggypigchiggypig Member Posts: 235
    edited July 2017
    Try not to think in absolute value, don't think "I'm sat with £300" try to think "I'm sat with 100 blinds"
  • Options
    percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    edited July 2017
    Great advice from chiggy. Although if you're anything like me it won't work :) 
  • Options
    WilhelmWilhelm Member Posts: 1,730
    edited July 2017
    In Response to Re: Taking Shots in Bigger Games:
    Try not to think in absolute value, don't think "I'm sat with £300" try to think "I'm sat with 100 blinds"
    Posted by chiggypig
    Easier said than done.

I think part of the problem is that without auto top-up I have to monitor my stack closely to know when I need to top-up and it makes me more aware of how much I'm up or down in sterling.  
  • Options
    NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 852
    edited August 2017

I would say that if your theory is right that Friday night games are softer...it sounds like it might be as people maybe have a drink and relax a bit while they are playing and possibly there are more recreational players as a ratio to pros...then surely they are all easier, not just the games with higher stakes. If you have a level you win at that you feel comfortable playing then my advice would be to open a new table or two at that level rather than jumping up.

If Sky Poker had millions of players then the gaps between say 10p/20p and £1/£2 would be unnoticeable in terms of a different standard I think. You would simply get people that are richer and want to play bigger in the bigger games. As there are a reasonable small group of players who play the bigger games here then it stands to reason that all the best players will be in that group and the ratio of good/bad players will be worse for you than in smaller games.

I totally understand that you wish to gamble a bigger amount sometimes...to take a shot. That is fine, I understand, but I think that doing it by spreading the extra money across a bunch of tables rather than plonking it all on one is a much better way to go.