You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

bankroll management

freechips1freechips1 Member Posts: 861
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
Now i have started taking my poker more seriously i need to stick to a proper bankroll, i thought i had been using a 20 buyin/5% ish rule. i have recently had a few eye openers 1) sparce posted he has a 100 buy in rule, (that's some roll you have) and the other night i seen two 200nl regs sit/showoff and sit at a table with 10k.
surely i am at a big disadvantage if i start playing 200nl with only a 4k roll and my rivals have 10k+, i also now know that variance is allot bigger at the bigger game with all the 3/4bet light people hanging around ready to 4 bet shove with air. so what do you guys think should i wait (carry on at 100nl) and only move up when i have 50 buy in or maybe 100 buy in, or do i now start taking shots at 200nl by playing 5x 100nl tables and one 200nl table.

Comments

• Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited February 2010

I don't play at £200nl so i won't pretend to be an expert but if it was me I would take a shot with decent table selection. You know who is going to give you problems if you've been playing £100nl for a while so i would carry on at your current level with intermitant shots at £200nl when you find a good table for you.

• Options
    BooniconBoonicon Member Posts: 130
    edited February 2010
    Hi Freechips,

I have also recently started to take poker more seriously, and have jumped from playing at up to 200nl down to, almost exclusively, 50nl.  This is not because I lost my roll and was forced to, I have come to realise that the 5% rule is no where near deep enough for serious, long term, poker.  I would suggest having at least 50 buyins before moving up, and I think Sparecs 100 buyins is quite sensible.

The main thing for me is that I never want to play with scared money.  For these guys, a lot of whom i expect have a lot bigger than 10k rolls, losing a couple of buy ins is not the end of the world.  But with a roll of 20 buyins this is enough to be quite scary, and I find that as soon as you start playing with even slightly scared money you are destined to lose.  As you say, some crooks are 3/4 betting light at this level! 

Anyway, you playing bigger than me, just some opinions.  I'll let you know when I ignore my own advice and blow the lot!

Boon
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited February 2010
    its only a disadvantage if you play scared money
  • Options
    freechips1freechips1 Member Posts: 861
    edited February 2010
    i think i will start taking shots when i have a min of 30 buy ins (6k), one of the things that worries me is playing deep i can handel losing 300BB at 100nl but i dont think i could take it losing a £1200 pot with a 4k roll.
    so i will prob have a few ales on friday night and try and play a few tables, haha see you on friday night boon.