You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

all this heads up stuff

bryan1960bryan1960 Member Posts: 205
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat

there seems to be an awful lot of talk on this site about yip and sparce.im afraid hu poker to me in theory gives each player a 50  50  chance of winning if just playing the cards out to completion.should be easy,but the problem is if you are even slightly a tight player youll end up losing.the point being the guy with the biggest stack and the bullying tacticts will surely  90% of the time come out the winner if played over a number of hours.this is what i believe mr sparce has requested again giving him the edge.sadly at the end of the day it all comes down to your bankroll,if you have an endless supply nothing on that table will bother you.one of the railers said a valid point although laughed upon at the time by the "elite"on this site that if sparce played yip on a 2p 4p table the game would be totally a coin flip because neither would be afraid of the stakes,but at seriously high stakes obviously roll comes in massively.yes there is skill in heads up poker but please dont forget the two most important elements,luck n roll.i rest my case.

Comments

• Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited February 2010
    hi cod
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited February 2010
    oh dear... HU is very skillful, luck plays only a tiny part in poker and evens out long term. if they played 2p 4p then they wouldn't be able to take it seriously... paying £4 to see someones cards would be too hard to refuse.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: all this heads up stuff:
    hi cod
    Posted by scotty77
    his name's bryan...
  • Options
    Action_DanAction_Dan Member Posts: 341
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: all this heads up stuff : his name's bryan...
    Posted by BlackFish3
    This isn't the plaice to get all technical so stop carping on...
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited February 2010
    Cud turn this into a serious thread and leave ya heads up tips??? :)
  • Options
    dantb10dantb10 Member Posts: 583
    edited February 2010
    where do these high stakes players get their rolls from??

Both players were on small rolls, and both usually play higher limits.

Sparce won because he had a significant edge, as he would on any limit.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: all this heads up stuff : This isn't the plaice to get all technical so stop carping on...
    Posted by Action_Dan
    This thread is a brilliant opperchtunaty for a discussion on HU strategy...
  • Options
    YIPEEYAPEEYIPEEYAPEE Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2010
    Hrmm can someone help me, I was down like 3 buyins tonight then only remember winning like 1 back, but my roll is more than I started. Has cashback just been paid or something?
    regards Jac
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited February 2010
    HU is the most skillful form of poker. To say bankroll plays a big part is ridiculous and shows how little you know.  I assume you came to that conclusion because you cant understand the complexities of it so assume its luck. Do you think these players bankrolls just appear out of thin air? You start at the bottom and you win until you get to the top. What are bullying tactics? you mean aggression? then yes aggression is a big part.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    no offshoot, he is right, he was referring to the match with sparce where neither of us had bankrolls, so a large element of luck was always going to be involved in the short term, (8buy in to 12)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    HU is the most skillful form of poker. To say bankroll plays a big part is ridiculous and shows how little you know.  I assume you came to that conclusion because you cant understand the complexities of it so assume its luck. Do you think these players bankrolls just appear out of thin air? You start at the bottom and you win until you get to the top. What are bullying tactics? you mean aggression? then yes aggression is a big part.
    Posted by offshoot
    offshoot how stupid are u to think that all poker players start with no roll and build it up.theres many a man out there who starts playing poker with many thouands to their name u silly thing.dont go over the top with the skill ticket please,luck is always a major part of any poker
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hi cod
    Posted by scotty77
    hi scotty but i dont think you got the right person m8
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: all this heads up stuff : offshoot how stupid are u to think that all poker players start with no roll and build it up.theres many a man out there who starts playing poker with many thouands to their name u silly thing.dont go over the top with the skill ticket please,luck is always a major part of any poker
    Posted by bryan1960
    the people that actually start out with loads of money are usually the worst players though.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    no offshoot, he is right, he was referring to the match with sparce where neither of us had bankrolls, so a large element of luck was always going to be involved in the short term, (8buy in to 12)
    Posted by YIPEEYAPEE
    thanks yip im on your side m8.i think the more roll u have the more risks u can take and risks equal reward.keep up the good work m8 your bravery against the bigrollers is inspirational m8 gl
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    oh dear... HU is very skillful, luck plays only a tiny part in poker and evens out long term. if they played 2p 4p then they wouldn't be able to take it seriously... paying £4 to see someones cards would be too hard to refuse.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    never ever assume luck in poker plays a tiny part please.whats wrong with playing small limit if you think its skill skill should win at any level please think hard b4 assessing my words of wisdom please
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: all this heads up stuff : the people that actually start out with loads of money are usually the worst players though.
    Posted by offshoot
    poor reply m8 your theory is flawed
  • Options
    BrownnDogBrownnDog Member Posts: 729
    edited February 2010
    This must be a wind up thread.
  • Options
    heapey0015heapey0015 Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: all this heads up stuff : poor reply m8 your theory is flawed
    Posted by bryan1960
    well  said bryan yip was sound he just did not have the luck os sparce
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    your kind of right bryan that a bigger roll means you are more comfortable to make moves and play fearlessly, but really you should make the play you think is correct regardless, and as soon as you sit at a table with a buy in whether it's in your bank roll to play or not, that buy in should be written off and you should treat it as chips and play in a way you think will be best value. But I don't think either me or sparce were afraid to make moves or that either of us tried to play an especially low variance game, (though he did love min raising button) such a nit isn't it. The point is, luck played a part as the game was always going to be short term. I think in the long term be it hu, 6max, full ring, skill is the most important factor, usually if you fall into like 95% of the poker paying population, if you play enough hands your luck will even out. There is always exceptions of people who will go on extended bad runs and good runs. It's also fact that alot of players think they run bad, as they remember beats more than when they dish them out.
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited February 2010
    Bump