You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

New pc a bad idea?

OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
After much deliberation, and reading posts saying my pc was probably rubbish, I decided to invest in a new one.
Quad core, 4GB ram, 500GB hd, and blu ray player.

My old pc struggled with multitabling and could play 5-6 at the most.  This was also dependant on time of day, and sometimes struggled with 3.  It was also riddled with viruses and was basically doing my head in.

so i fired up the new one last night and decided to see how many tables it could handle.  It took 12 without any problems.  I then got greedy and got up to 16 tables at one point.  This was ridiculous, and I must have looked like a spectator at Wimbledon.

So, on top of the outlay for this super computer, I am now also 8BI`s down in 1 session.

moral of the story - not sure really, i will think of one

Comments

• Options
    ckdckd Member Posts: 1,386
    edited February 2010

i always multi i have most of 6 you say you had 12 how i cant fit more than 6 on mine is there a way to make them smaller so you can put more on the screen let me know ty
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: New pc a bad idea?:
     i always multi i have most of 6 you say you had 12 how i cant fit more than 6 on mine is there a way to make them smaller so you can put more on the screen let me know ty
    Posted by ckd

Im assuming you mean smaller than miniview?

I dont think you can get smaller than that, but I have 2 monitors. 1 24`, and 1 19`.  I can fit 8 tables on the 24` with a tiny bit of overlap, or 12 tables with more sgnificant overlap, and 4 tables on the 19`.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I forgot.  I was also smashed.  So, moral of the story is - Dont attempt to play 16 tables when you have to cover 1 eye with your hand to stop it being 32 tables.
  • Options
    MacacanMacacan Member Posts: 129
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I forgot.  I was also smashed.  So, moral of the story is - Dont attempt to play 16 tables when you have to cover 1 eye with your hand to stop it being 32 tables.
    Posted by OMahonyO
    WOW, Well impressed. I have trouble playing one table when sober.
  • Options
    ckdckd Member Posts: 1,386
    edited February 2010

im playing on a 32" lcd and i still can only put 4 on the other two i put in the middle at the top bottem but theres a big overlap so i dont know how you do it got to get on to them to find out cos 6 tables is fun but 12 would be better
  • Options
    JONONZIEJONONZIE Member Posts: 367
    edited February 2010

Think I will stick to my small laptop and screen so i cant multiplay!!!! I lose enough playing just one game at a time,  save me money lol,carry on and you will soon have to change get your name to haved   but much respect to you
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    im playing on a 32" lcd and i still can only put 4 on the other two i put in the middle at the top bottem but theres a big overlap so i dont know how you do it got to get on to them to find out cos 6 tables is fun but 12 would be better
    Posted by ckd

I did some digging the other day about this.

I thought, why use a monitor when I could fit so many tables on my 32`lcd tv. 
    Apparanly, it cant be done.  Your tv will onluy clone what your monitor is showing.  Something to do with the resolution.
    Probably why you can get a 32`tv pretty cheap, but a monitor of the same size would prob cost £1k+.
  • Options
    hurst05hurst05 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited February 2010
    new pc a bad idea? yes, get an imac ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    new pc a bad idea? yes, get an imac ;)
    Posted by hurst05

I saw those in the shop. Quite expensive.  What exactly do they do?
  • Options
    NColleyNColley Member Posts: 1,178
    edited February 2010
    In Response to New pc a bad idea?:
    After much deliberation, and reading posts saying my pc was probably rubbish, I decided to invest in a new one. Quad core, 4GB ram, 500GB hd, and blu ray player. My old pc struggled with multitabling and could play 5-6 at the most.  This was also dependant on time of day, and sometimes struggled with 3.  It was also riddled with viruses and was basically doing my head in. so i fired up the new one last night and decided to see how many tables it could handle.  It took 12 without any problems.  I then got greedy and got up to 16 tables at one point.  This was ridiculous, and I must have looked like a spectator at Wimbledon. So, on top of the outlay for this super computer, I am now also 8BI`s down in 1 session. moral of the story - not sure really, i will think of one
    Posted by OMahonyO
    moral of story - Don't play 16 tables to begin with if your used to playing 3-6? 16 how did you even have time to make a decision on any hands lol.
    I wish I had a quad core, my lil old dual core is dying I think :(.
    It is windows 7 or vista? I'm told windows 7 uses less RAM.
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited February 2010
    Probably too big a jump playing 16.  This ain't stars where you hvae a time bank.

I think that 12 is the max you should be playing with the limited clock that sky gives you.

• Options
    edited February 2010
    yeah, I certainly wont be making a habit playing 16.  Just testing out my new toy.  The -8BI`s is slightly inaccurate.  It is 8BI`s at my usual level nl20.  I cant remember too much but I checked my hh and discovered I had been playing nl10 through to nl80.  Some of my plays were shocking lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to New pc a bad idea? : moral of story - Don't play 16 tables to begin with if your used to playing 3-6? 16 how did you even have time to make a decision on any hands lol. I wish I had a quad core, my lil old dual core is dying I think :(. It is windows 7 or vista? I'm told windows 7 uses less RAM.
    Posted by NColley

I have windows 7.  No idea how much ram it uses
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: New pc a bad idea? : I have windows 7.  No idea how much ram it uses
    Posted by OMahonyO
    A lot less than Vista!!! Probably no more than 1GB.
  • Options
    hurst05hurst05 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited February 2010
    even 12 is alot, pretty much limited to abc poker
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited February 2010
    Posted by ckd
    its not the size of screen that matters, just the resolution. For playing poker its best to use 1920x1200. Most hdtvs are 1920x1080.

I just got a new monitor today so will prob try 12 tabling. If skys software wasnt so slow it would be a lot easier but tables seem to freeze every 2 seconds. It would also prob be easier if i could get use to miniview, i tried for a while but just couldnt figure out the action quick enough so have to fullview.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: New pc a bad idea? : its not the size of screen that matters, just the resolution. For playing poker its best to use 1920x1200. Most hdtvs are 1920x1080. I just got a new monitor today so will prob try 12 tabling. If skys software wasnt so slow it would be a lot easier but tables seem to freeze every 2 seconds. It would also prob be easier if i could get use to miniview, i tried for a while but just couldnt figure out the action quick enough so have to fullview.
    Posted by offshoot

I saw a screenshot you posted a while back of how you set your tables up.  Seriously, I dont know how you can play like that.
    Does the table with action on pop to the front? if so, which browser are you using?. The few ive tried doesnt pop the tables to the front
  • Options
    offshootoffshoot Member Posts: 1,049
    edited February 2010
     i use chrome because it seems to load up the tables fastest, they dont pop to the front though.