You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What's been your worst downswing?

LexLuthorLexLuthor Member Posts: 19
edited September 2017 in Brags, Beats and Variance
Fun thread...maybe. Or just a chance to moan and/or keep your perspective.

What's been your worst downswing or longest break even stretch?

Having just dropped 30 buy-in's today and find myself on a 4000 game break even run this month (tDYM mainly) I feel like I need some therapy.

For me in June I dropped 90 buy-ins which I think is my worst to date, all of which came in a 3 day run coincidentally and my longest b/e stretch is the one mentioned above.

Comments

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    edited August 2017
    This month has been pretty consistently terrible for me, are you looking at buy ins relating to your average stake?
  • Options
    amnotere26amnotere26 Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2017
    In Response to What's been your worst downswing?:
    Fun thread...maybe. Or just a chance to moan and/or keep your perspective. What's been your worst downswing or longest break even stretch? Having just dropped 30 buy-in's today and find myself on a 4000 game break even run this month (tDYM mainly) I feel like I need some therapy. For me in June I dropped 90 buy-ins which I think is my worst to date, all of which came in a 3 day run coincidentally and my longest b/e stretch is the one mentioned above.
    Posted by LexLuthor
    since i joined sky 
  • Options
    amnotere26amnotere26 Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2017
    since i joined sky and the amazzing miracle river card always comes its amazzing to watch and am not even in the hand is funny though
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    In Response to Re: What's been your worst downswing?:
    This month has been pretty consistently terrible for me, are you looking at buy ins relating to your average stake?
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Yeah, by buy in I mean my average stake.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    In Response to Re: What's been your worst downswing? : Yeah, by buy in I mean my average stake.
    Posted by LexLuthor

I am around the same 90 buy ins (ave stake) down for August, its an exclusive club ;-)
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    edited August 2017
    Usually play average £8ish but go a bit heavier Sundays and series. Last UKOPS I only played 3 days but fired all the 110s and the 220 and dropped over 100 of my usual BI in a very short space of time :P Managed to make half of it back in the very last UKOPS event I played, but still pretty fast swing!

**** you UKOPS...

Incidentally I think an underrated skill is being able to maintain focus to grind out of a downswing and play your best even when you know that if you smash today you've still got a long way to before you're back out of the swing.

Annnnnnnd what not to do is to think "I'm stuck x amount therfore I need to play bigger to try and make it back"
    Slippery slope that is.
  • Options
    craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    edited August 2017
    Maybe augest is an unlucky month, cash poker is normally my strength but this month I'm 100 buy ins down. my BR has still remained level thanks to a number of semi cash outs and some nice freeroll prizes
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Maybe augest is an unlucky month, cash poker is normally my strength but this month I'm 100 buy ins down. my BR has still remained level thanks to a number of semi cash outs and some nice freeroll prizes
    Posted by craigcu12
    Jesus, -100bi's cash is pretty disgusting. 

It just goes to show however that a winning player is not immune to these things and will almost certainly be faced with something like this, dependiing on how much they play, maybe several times in a year.

Thanks for posting man.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited August 2017
    since i joined sky and the amazzing miracle river card always comes its amazzing to watch and am not even in the hand is funny though
    Posted by amnotere26

Those players probably have their rating set to the maximum setting: 

Ace ♥ Ace ♣ - On Fire!

• Options
    shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited August 2017
    In Response to Re: What's been your worst downswing? : Those players probably have their rating set to the maximum setting:  Ace ♥ Ace ♣ - On Fire!
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    I believe it's 67o that gets you all the lucky rivers :)

I've had a few 20-25 BI drops over a period of c. month / c. 100k hands, but thankfully those average less than once per year.

No doubt its easier for me as a cash player, compared to tourney players who I'm sure could easily have 20+ blanks in a single day.

Also makes it far easier to use stop-losses and walk away on losing days.  I don't think many (any?) players can still be playing their 'A' game when they've done 5 BIs, so its always a risk to play on and exacerbate losses due to tilt or just bad play.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Usually play average £8ish but go a bit heavier Sundays and series. Last UKOPS I only played 3 days but fired all the 110s and the 220 and dropped over 100 of my usual BI in a very short space of time :P Managed to make half of it back in the very last UKOPS event I played, but still pretty fast swing! **** you UKOPS... Incidentally I think an underrated skill is being able to maintain focus to grind out of a downswing and play your best even when you know that if you smash today you've still got a long way to before you're back out of the swing. Annnnnnnd what not to do is to think "I'm stuck x amount therfore I need to play bigger to try and make it back" Slippery slope that is.
    Posted by Angmar2626

This is really important, i had a little spell last year just coming out of a downswing, it felt like i was going two steps forward one step back and it was taking ages to get back to where I had started, but you do eventually get there it just takes patience 
  • Options
    pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: What's been your worst downswing? : I am around the same 90 buy ins (ave stake) down for August, its an exclusive club ;-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62

In the same boat m8. August has totally decimated my BR. I withdrew a big chunk for Vegas spends, left myself with a couple of hundred but ran and played soooo bad in August panic started to set in, need to refocus quick or could be depositing for first time in about 10 years.
  • Options
    trevil25trevil25 Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2017
    hi pom 
    are they related to how often we fold or dont ?
    esp in hi low. 
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    New low.  Down -94 buyin's now on this downswing.

Head's about to actually fall off, you just get to the point where you don't even expect to win a pot anymore regardless of your holding.

One of the biggest things I miss about not being able to use a HUD here is actually the line that tracked your All in EV so you could at least have a graphical representation of how hard you were getting penetrated in the bottom which in a strange way made you feel a little bit better.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    edited September 2017
    New low.  Down -94 buyin's now on this downswing. Head's about to actually fall off, you just get to the point where you don't even expect to win a pot anymore regardless of your holding. One of the biggest things I miss about not being able to use a HUD here is actually the line that tracked your All in EV so you could at least have a graphical representation of how hard you were getting penetrated in the bottom which in a strange way made you feel a little bit better.
    Posted by LexLuthor
    Ouch 
    I really hope it turns for you soon

Do you talk through hands with friends etc? Can be very useful for spotting big leaks in your game and so on
  • Options
    benhur7200benhur7200 Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2017
    August wasnt the best for me either, on a 50/50 win lose , usually tend to have 70/30 win lose. i right down all the games i play which is mainly dyms. had a 2 spells last year where i lost 10 and 12 games on the trot. but ive had many great streaks though which out way the losses. its never a nice feeling to lose knowing full well you should be doing better. personally i never chase my losses with higher buyins., id rather just grind away to the break even point and then sigh with relief, then move into profit city. its just a matter of being patient and enjoying the game even though i have my rants (sorry). we all adapt our styles and for some bizarre reason tend to change it to get involved with the action or if someone is playing agro against us, also, its important to look at why we lost those hands or games. Im aware of my style and when i go into a new playing style thats when i lose. so for me its best to stick with what works but also to adapt few little tricks. 
    Another tip would be choosing on what time of day is best to play , ive noticed for example that late late on fridays or saturdays can get quite aggro as if cash tables are full then a maniac cash player will play on a dym and play it like a cash game rather than a dym game, each to their own in how one plays but still a valid point imo. 
    keep on grinding!!!!!
    like i mentioned i keep a diary of my dyms , which looks similar to this,,  sunday 3-0,3-3,3-3,3-3,3-0,3-3.£18 in and £24 out £6profit, i dont bother about the rake to just keep it simple . i do tend to notice trends, like certain days i do sh#t ,why? drink? tired? stressed? stuff on your mind? hope all your games improve unless its against me lol