You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

0.02/0.04 Cash Hand review

stretch83stretch83 Member Posts: 149
edited September 2017 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all,

Overall I am pretty happy with how I played this hand and just wanted to know if I am starting to think correctly about how to play cash hands as I have struggled for ages without making any sort of progress.

I get dealt a pair of 3's on the button, this is pretty much at the bottom of my range however on the button I like to play any pair and raise aggressively and potentially 3 bet a raise with the intention of taking the pot down pre-flop.

I raised 4x on the button, I have found so far at this stakes raising 2.2x - 3x is as good as limping at this stake so have tried to raise my betting size to eliminate too many people coming into the pot and definitely eliminate weak holdings.
My thoughts after the flop were if the villain had AA/KK/QQ/AK I would have got re-raised pre, I would expect a call from JJ/10's, 9's, all suited aces and maybe AQ off with everything else folding.

Anyway even with the 2 callers I get action from the small blind and the cut off.  I hit the set on the flop and I have bet around 26p for value.  1) Should I be making my value bet bigger here?  Either way my bet eliminates the CU out of the pot and at present I am feeling good about my play.

The turn brings another Jack, and I improve to a full house.  When my opponent rips his stack until the middle I bash the call button as hard as I can.

He had the set of Jacks with AQ kicker against my 3's full of Jacks and I got my money in well ahead here so happy with my call and play of the hand.

The river actually brings an ace and I lose the pot however this is the first time my thought process has ever been that active during a hand and I am pretty pleased with how I played.  If anyone has any feedback or anything they feel I could have done better please let me know. 

Cheers

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceVillianSmall blind £0.02£0.02£2.47SBBig blind £0.04£0.06£8.64 Your hole cards33   UTGFold    HJFold    CUCall £0.04£0.10£2.35stretch83Raise £0.16£0.26£4.40VillianCall £0.14£0.40£2.33mvmmikeFold    CUCall £0.12£0.52£2.23Flop  JA3   VillianCheck    CUCheck    stretch83Bet £0.26£0.78£4.14VillianCall £0.26£1.04£2.07CUFold    Turn  J   VillianAll-in £2.07£3.11£0.00stretch83Call £2.07£5.18£2.07VillianShowJQ   stretch83Show33   ........

Comments

• Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,812
    edited September 2017
    Hi,

You played the hand fine. Raising bigger at these levels is a must, for the reasons you stated. Thinking about the hands that can call you is good but the only thing I would say is your expectation of what will fold is definitaly indequate. Far, far more hands are calling you here. They will call with pretty much anything. Be aware of what can be ahead but also be aware you will have a lot of weaker hands calling you down.

• Options
    rancidrancid Member Posts: 5,940
    edited September 2017
    Your going to hate all flops unless they have a 3 on 

no need to raise here

just flat pre and hope for a 3 :)

• Options
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: 0.02/0.04 Cash Hand review:
    Your going to hate all flops unless they have a 3 on  no need to raise here just flat pre and hope for a 3 :)
    Posted by rancid
    Thanks for your reply Rancid, I think I forgot about my position in this spot and calling is sometimes okay as well as raising. 

One quick query I have if I do raise like I did, say the board is really dry and low cards could I then bluff on the flop with this hand, or is that just a dangerous slippery road to go down at these stakes?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Hi, You played the hand fine. Raising bigger at these levels is a must, for the reasons you stated. Thinking about the hands that can call you is good but the only thing I would say is your expectation of what will fold is definitaly indequate. Far, far more hands are calling you here. They will call with pretty much anything. Be aware of what can be ahead but also be aware you will have a lot of weaker hands calling you down.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Thanks for your reply Craig, I really can see your point.  No offence meant to microstakers as I am one of them as well, but have found it is impossible to bluff them on dangerous looking boards so my expectations of folds needs looking at.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    darrentinodarrentino Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2017
    Don't bluff at that level, there really is no value in doing so. Be patient and wait to hit hands and then go for max value. Nothing wrong with how you played the hand, calling or raising pre is both fine with the threes there but i'd probably lean more towards a call at 2p/4p with there being a limper before you. So often you are going to get multiple callers if you raise and then miss the flop.

I'd also bet slightly bigger on the flop but no real drama in betting half pot as you did but long term at that level betting bigger with your strong hands makes a lot of sense.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: 0.02/0.04 Cash Hand review : Thanks for your reply Rancid, I think I forgot about my position in this spot and calling is sometimes okay as well as raising.  One quick query I have if I do raise like I did, say the board is really dry and low cards could I then bluff on the flop with this hand, or is that just a dangerous slippery road to go down at these stakes?
    Posted by stretch83

Well how often does the flop come low cards and dry, not a lot.
    You can choose a better range of hands to be raising versus limpers, you could also put some of this range in your calling range verus limpers. 

Overerall if your raising too much and then c betting too much your going to loose money.

At NL4 I would concentrate on how do I make a good hand. Should we raise or call with a certain range of hands.

You seem to be of the belief that if they limping wide then we can bluff a lot and get them to fold.
    I don't think is good.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: 0.02/0.04 Cash Hand review : Well how often does the flop come low cards and dry, not a lot. You can choose a better range of hands to be raising versus limpers, you could also put some of this range in your calling range verus limpers.  Overerall if your raising too much and then c betting too much your going to loose money. At NL4 I would concentrate on how do I make a good hand. Should we raise or call with a certain range of hands. You seem to be of the belief that if they limping wide then we can bluff a lot and get them to fold. I don't think is good.
    Posted by rancid
    Hi Rancid thanks for taking the time to reply.  

I had a much better night this evening playing tighter and bluffing less and just playing good hands in position aggressively when hitting and check/fold when missing.  

I wasn't trying to disagree with you before was just trying to understand C-betting a little better and can see now with only 2 outs with 3's to a low set this is not a profitable position.  Better to have more outs or a very strong hand.

I am too new to playing cash to have a belief and just find discussing the hands and theories with people I am getting better from their knowledge.

Many thanks again.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Don't bluff at that level, there really is no value in doing so. Be patient and wait to hit hands and then go for max value. Nothing wrong with how you played the hand, calling or raising pre is both fine with the threes there but i'd probably lean more towards a call at 2p/4p with there being a limper before you. So often you are going to get multiple callers if you raise and then miss the flop. I'd also bet slightly bigger on the flop but no real drama in betting half pot as you did but long term at that level betting bigger with your strong hands makes a lot of sense.
    Posted by darrentino
    Thanks for your reply man.  Tightening up and bluffing less certainly seems the way forward.  Cheers man
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: 0.02/0.04 Cash Hand review : Hi Rancid thanks for taking the time to reply.   I had a much better night this evening playing tighter and bluffing less and just playing good hands in position aggressively when hitting and check/fold when missing.   I wasn't trying to disagree with you before was just trying to understand C-betting a little better and can see now with only 2 outs with 3's to a low set this is not a profitable position.  Better to have more outs or a very strong hand. I am too new to playing cash to have a belief and just find discussing the hands and theories with people I am getting better from their knowledge. Many thanks again.
    Posted by stretch83

You can outright bluff in situations but unless you have some kind of reason for doing it you can be blindly guessing. If you are betting the flop without a made hand then its better to either have a draw or some backdoor draws so our hand can improve on the turn. Often one bet wont be enough so if we can c bet knowing lots of turns improve our hand we can then either take a free card or bet again. Sometimes the second bet will get a fold and sometimes we make our hand by the river. If we are playing a low pair aggressively then we potentially get in the situation where we need to either keep firing at the pot or we have to give up having invested a lot into the pot. Also sometimes we can bluff when we block some of our opponents hands meaning its less likely they have certain holdings, its very unlikely a small pair will be blocking key holdings of our opponents.

At higher stakes you might have to try a few more creative plays but at the stakes you are playing I would keep it more simple, limit bluffs and value bet strong. As you get more experienced you will find a lot of things become second nature.  

• Options
    shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited September 2017
    There are definitely a decent amount of bluff opportunities at these levels, just not of the Hollywood-style 3-bet air bluffs that might get the most views on YouTube.  You'll be missing out on a lot of value by nitting it up and only betting value - although appreciate that at these levels it is unlikely many/any opponents will realise that's what you are doing and exploit your play.

Personally I think there is value in raising pre with small pairs when there is only 1 limper in the pot.

If you take it down pre, happy days that's 2.5 BB profit, if you get to the flop and hit your 3 then you aren't going to have to be chucking in crazy overbets to be taking most of oppos stack by the river.

We don't need to worry about too much about c-betting when we miss, when in position.  If flop is checked and they check turn then you likely have the best hand and can either check down or put in a small bet to protect/get a bit of value from any draws or overcards oppo might call with.

Obviously echo every other post about betting large when we do hit.  Don't be worried about scaring them off.  If they don't have an A / J or maybe some sort of gutshot then they'll probably fold to most bets anyway - if they do have a piece of the flop then they'll probably call most bets (except overbets) - so always go as big as possible with big hands.

GL at the tables, sounds like you'll easily crush NL4 and we'll see you at NL10/NL20 soon enough
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: 0.02/0.04 Cash Hand review : Hi Rancid thanks for taking the time to reply.   I had a much better night this evening playing tighter and bluffing less and just playing good hands in position aggressively when hitting and check/fold when missing.   I wasn't trying to disagree with you before was just trying to understand C-betting a little better and can see now with only 2 outs with 3's to a low set this is not a profitable position.  Better to have more outs or a very strong hand. I am too new to playing cash to have a belief and just find discussing the hands and theories with people I am getting better from their knowledge. Many thanks again.
    Posted by stretch83
    No worries.

Yeah geenrally playing tight at this level will pretty much print money.
    You'll have to c bet bluff a certain amount but you still want a higher chance to win with maybe two overcards or/and backdoor draws. 
    I wouldn't advocate check/folding as the pre flop aggressor, like before you just need to look at what your actually raising pre.
    If your calling to come in to the pot pre then yeah, folding to a bet if you whiff isn't tragic.

Just don't overbluff

• Options
    ronnieg197ronnieg197 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017
    i would push in position with a set or two pair, it really annoys the oop player through curiosity and makes way for future hands like tptk to stack them again when you push and they have A5 etc, they may not read the game well at micro but they get annoyed quickly.
    In Response to Re: 0.02/0.04 Cash Hand review : No worries. Yeah geenrally playing tight at this level will pretty much print money. You'll have to c bet bluff a certain amount but you still want a higher chance to win with maybe two overcards or/and backdoor draws.  I wouldn't advocate check/folding as the pre flop aggressor, like before you just need to look at what your actually raising pre. If your calling to come in to the pot pre then yeah, folding to a bet if you whiff isn't tragic. Just don't overbluff
    Posted by rancid
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    i would push in position with a set or two pair, it really annoys the oop player through curiosity and makes way for future hands like tptk to stack them again when you push and they have A5 etc, they may not read the game well at micro but they get annoyed quickly. In Response to Re: 0.02/0.04 Cash Hand review :
    Posted by ronnieg197

Yeah i hear what your saying but you don't want to give them a reason to fold

cause at the end of the day you don't actually know they have A5 etc..

the idea is for them to call not fold cause they going to have weaker hands than A5 too which they will fold