You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Cash Games

68Trebor68Trebor Member Posts: 1,943
edited October 2017 in Chat with Channing
As you are undoubtedly a very good cash game player I was wondering what your top 3 tips for a seasoned player who has never quite cracked the cash games, but can make a tidy profit at MTT's , would be.

Comments

• Options
    NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 852
    edited October 2017

I tucked this one away as I thought it would need a bit of thinking and still struggled.

I was going to start with "You should simply play every hand in the best way you can, always striving for the optimal play" but I guess that is the same in tournaments, although some may not understand that.

1. The massive difference is there is no rush and the blinds don't go up so I guess I would say that this means you don't need to rush, you can do what you want, play only premier hands if you like, no need to make massive rash bluffs if you don't want to. Obviously if you just play aces you will probably not win much when you get them and the blinds will eat you but I do think the fact you don't have to rush is something that can't be stressed enough.

2. Position may be even more important. In tournaments you need to keep going forward or you are going backwards so you can't really pass up marginal spots and on the days they go right you cash while on the days these go wrong you bust. In cash games you'd be better off just playing the hands in late position and folding all mid-strength hands (say 55 or A10) under the gun. In tournaments you may HAVE to play those quite often.

3. You can obviously start and stop whenever you like and that means this is the best tip...

You stop when you feel it's not your night, you are starting to get upset (tilt) or you aren't comfortable with the stakes or feel you are not close to being the top player and you continue when you are feeling comfortable, (the others are playing badly), the stakes are relaxing, you are sure you are one of the better players.

A lot of people play on to try and get even and quit when they are ahead and this means they play a lot of their poker when they are not mentally strong and not much when they are. That is a bad mistake on BOTH counts.

Hope that was worth waiting for.
  • Options
    CATCH-22CATCH-22 Member Posts: 270
    edited October 2017
    A lot of people play on to try and get even and quit when they are ahead and this means they play a lot of their poker when they are not mentally strong and not much when they are. That is a bad mistake on BOTH counts.

Hope that was worth waiting for.

it was
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,162
    Great post Neil....... Defo worth waiting for, even though I don't play cash (yet), the MTT tip helps. Thanks very much.
  • Options
    zenbudhistzenbudhist Member Posts: 144
    " A lot of people play on to try and get even and quit when they are ahead and this means they play a lot of their poker when they are not mentally strong and not much when they are. That is a bad mistake on BOTH counts."

I like this its a simple observation that rings true. Only a fool quits when they are ahead they're just thinking 'money' ... everybody like$ money, but what about the 'buzz' man when YOU'RE flying high you want to enjoy it, crest that wave of ENJOYMENT!
  • Options
    QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    I find after a few good hands I start thinking I am invincible and quickly lose what I have won.
    I also find winning big hands addictive so I keep wanting to join big pots.
    Hence I tend to quit when i am ahead
  • Options
    NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 852
    I do think that whatever works for you must be a good thing Quickfeet. I also know that a lot of money I have made in poker has come from people who should have remembered that tomorrow is another day and maybe they should have quit the game two hours ago when they were feeling tired or on tilt.