You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Any alternative ways to play this hand? Just out of interest?

Card4LifeCard4Life Member Posts: 18
edited December 2021 in Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
mechanik Small blind   10.00 10.00 1990.00
shire40 Big blind   20.00 30.00 1980.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

DEBBIE222 Fold     
Happypea Call   20.00 50.00 1980.00
Card4Life Raise   80.00 130.00 1920.00
Wacko90 Call   80.00 210.00 1920.00
mechanik Fold     
shire40 Fold     
Happypea Call   60.00 270.00 1920.00
Flop

• Q

Happypea Check     
Card4Life Bet   200.00 470.00 1720.00
Wacko90 Call   200.00 670.00 1720.00
Happypea Fold     
Turn

Card4Life Bet   335.00 1005.00 1385.00
Wacko90 Call   335.00 1340.00 1385.00
River

• A

Card4Life Bet   400.00 1740.00 985.00
Wacko90 Call   400.00 2140.00 985.00
Card4Life Show
  • K
  • K

Wacko90 Show
  • Q
  • A

Wacko90 Win Two Pairs, Aces and Queens 2140.00   3125.00

Comments

• Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    edited September 2017
    Pretty unfortunate runout, but definitely raise bigger pre over the limper
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,664
    edited September 2017

Don't think you've done too much wrong there.

Villain - who is extremely competent by the way - flopped TPTK - then improved on the river.

Your river bet looks a bit odd, but even if you shove all-in he still calls.

Just a bit of a cooler really - however you play the hand you are gonna lose.

Incidentally, we don't WANT him to fold on the flop or turn, we have the perfect spot to try & keep him. If the Ace does not river, we bust him. We need to keep worse hands in sometimes - but the downside is sometimes they get there.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Thankyou so much Angmar and Tikay , your insights are most welcome and highly valued !

Angmar -

What sizing would you recommend ? 5x or 6x maybe? Would you also recommend the larger sizing for QQ , JJ and/or TT?

Tikay -

I very much agree that villain plays extremely well.

Very good point about wanting to keep him in on the turn. Maybe a smaller bet , a check or a check-raise on the turn may have been better? I think the Check Raise maybe the best option as he may call with his Top Pair hands but I hold some fold equity with his openenders , gutshots and backdoor flushdraws .

Thanks again Chaps!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,664
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: Any alternative ways to play this hand? Just out of interest?:
    Thankyou so much Angmar and Tikay , your insights are most welcome and highly valued ! Angmar -   What sizing would you recommend ? 5x or 6x maybe? Would you also recommend the larger sizing for QQ , JJ and/or TT? Tikay - I very much agree that villain plays extremely well. Very good point about wanting to keep him in on the turn. Maybe a smaller bet , a check or a check-raise on the turn may have been better? I think the Check Raise maybe the best option as he may call with his Top Pair hands but I hold some fold equity with his openenders , gutshots and backdoor flushdraws . Thanks again Chaps!
    Posted by Card4Life
    Nice one bud.

Hopefully, some of the better players will be along soon to add to the good advice by Angmar. I'm a bit old for NLH these days, & don't play it too well, but plenty of helpful guys here who really know the game well.

• Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    edited September 2017
    100bb stacks not really my thing :) but we always want to consider the Stack to Pot Ratio - the more money already in the middle, the easier it is to get the rest of the chips in, and vice versa.

Also worth keeping in mind that big pairs like KK are often still going to be one pair by the river so the number of worse one pair hands that will call us on all three streets is going to decrease when we go postflop with a tiny pot relative to stacks.

Just my 2cents' - others on here will have a better answer I'm sure - good luck! :)
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited September 2017
    Looks fine to me, I think raise pre is fine (would be doing this with all hands rather than just top of range), could go 1bb bigger maybe. Just depends how table/opponent is playing. 
  • Options
    shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited September 2017
    Out of interest, why wouldn't villain shove river as played?

Not sure KJ or sets would size a bet so small on river, so gives us a chance to get calls from KK, KQ?

Similarly, is betting out by hero on the river fairly standard here?  I think I'd be more likely to check and sigh call vs missed J9, diamond draw and figure there may even be things like AT that we beat when oppo value bets... but that may well be why I am truly dire at tournaments :)
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: Any alternative ways to play this hand? Just out of interest?:
    Out of interest, why wouldn't villain shove river as played? Not sure KJ or sets would size a bet so small on river, so gives us a chance to get calls from KK, KQ? Similarly, is betting out by hero on the river fairly standard here?  I think I'd be more likely to check and sigh call vs missed J9, diamond draw and figure there may even be things like AT that we beat when oppo value bets... but that may well be why I am truly dire at tournaments :)
    Posted by shakinaces

Yes if you call with KK thinking you beat AT on an A high river, then that might explain your last sentence ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Thanks for your input .......

I personally like villains call here as there are still a significant amount of hands that beat him here , a call builds himself a healthy stack and if he loses he still has a workable stack to rebuild , whereas a raise could lose him his tournament life .....maybe I'm being too nitty ....... any thoughts?

Thanks again guys!